LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Freezing Amilo M3438G with stock 6800gt 256 MB

grifter

Hi all

I have recently started having problem with my Amilo m3438G and would like to know if those are the symptoms of dying stock nVidia 6800 ? It freeze while playing games but the system is not overheating because i started to monitor the temperature and even in stress it not even 70C and I'm using akasa cooling pad that is always on and after few freezes I have change in services that the cooler on the graphic card is always working on max speed. Also have opened and cleaned the vents and removed the dust. I also had run the mem test for about 3,5h so don't think that the memory is the problem. Recently also have bought 2 new hard drives WD Scorpio Blue 160 GB Sata 150 because had problem with one of the old ones. So any suggestions are welcome. In my opinion it's the graphic card since so many of you have reported that problem but correct me if I'm wrong ... :evil:

PS. The system few times freezes also while for example watching a movie ...

Hi :) I have the same problem with my M3438g; I try to change the thermal pads but nothing :P, my Amilo continues to freeze when I'm playng a videogame, when I'm watching an HD video on youtube and when I'm playng with facebook games!!! XD, had you resolved in this time? Thank you :)

Guest Beginner

Hi, I had the same issue in the paste. If go read in the AMILO Forum then you find a lot of people with go 6800 issues.

Now, I change the graphic unit to a NVIDIA Geforce Go 7600 for appr. 120 Euro via FSC Support. You get a pack with MXM Graphic unit and a new headpipe cooler (I think the headpipe cooler is defect in your case). The assambling in your AMILO Notebook is simple, I think soo.

Now, you load the last graphic driver for the MXM graphic card NVIDIA Geforce Go 7600 from the FSC support page. After windows 7 intall, you do a update via Microsoft support and you get a driver update for windows 7.

After update the driver parts runs the windows 7 os very fine.

If you look in EBay, you find a some MXM grafic card for a AMILO M3438.

Hi :) I have the same problem with my M3438g; I try to change the thermal pads but nothing :P, my Amilo continues to freeze when I'm playng a videogame, when I'm watching an HD video on youtube and when I'm playng with facebook games!!! XD, had you resolved in this time? Thank you :)

I haven't fixed it yet. Today I'm gonna strip it and clean every connector with alcohol and remove the heatsink to remove the old past and apply new MX-2 paste and see if the problem will continue. If it will than i think the best option will be buying a new graphic unit like HD3650 256MB DDR3

Sry I was unable to buy the propanyl alcohol so will have to wait for the one I have ordered so probably will have to wait for the next weekend but will keep you updated about the progress.

Edited by grifter

Ok so have received isopropanol 99,9% alcohol about 2 days ago and straight away striped the laptop. I removed and cleaned the heatsink removing old thermal grease from the CPU and noticed that on the 6800 processor thermal pad was used but my one looked like it was stretched over the limit and it broke (It had like a hole). So after removing old thermal stuff and cleaning the heatsink with the alcohol as well I have applied Arctic Cooling MX-2 on the CPU and GO 6800 , blow the fan to remove the dust and put everything back to the laptop. At first i have noticed that the temperature of Go 6800 have rised very quickly and just after few minutes my Amilo have switched off itself :) ... So i knew that it's overheating ... so started to strip it again and removed the MX-2 past i have just applied and then i have noticed that actually there is a gap between heatsink and Go :P because the mark from MX-2 was only little visible so decided to put quite a lot but on the center of the Go processor and done the same thing with the CPU. After that started to control the temp using GPU Z software and so far so good :) SO so far after 2 days of playing system didn't froze and the temp while playing was max 70 C. So I'm a happy GAMER AGAIN :unsure: SO GOOD LUCK mate with Yours

Guest quipster

Ok so have received isopropanol 99,9% alcohol about 2 days ago and straight away striped the laptop. I removed and cleaned the heatsink removing old thermal grease from the CPU and noticed that on the 6800 processor thermal pad was used but my one looked like it was stretched over the limit and it broke (It had like a hole). So after removing old thermal stuff and cleaning the heatsink with the alcohol as well I have applied Arctic Cooling MX-2 on the CPU and GO 6800 , blow the fan to remove the dust and put everything back to the laptop. At first i have noticed that the temperature of Go 6800 have rised very quickly and just after few minutes my Amilo have switched off itself :) ... So i knew that it's overheating ... so started to strip it again and removed the MX-2 past i have just applied and then i have noticed that actually there is a gap between heatsink and Go :P because the mark from MX-2 was only little visible so decided to put quite a lot but on the center of the Go processor and done the same thing with the CPU. After that started to control the temp using GPU Z software and so far so good :) SO so far after 2 days of playing system didn't froze and the temp while playing was max 70 C. So I'm a happy GAMER AGAIN :unsure: SO GOOD LUCK mate with Yours

Glad to hear your notebook is working again,

though I'd strongly advise your to open your laptop once more and put in a small, very flat piece of copper tab on top of the core and the heatsink.

Thickness around 0.5 cm or 0.2 of an inch (size slightly larger than the core) and apply thermal paste to both sides of this tab.

The reason for this is that the thermal goo won't last very long at this configuration.

This mod has been carried out by hundreds of amilo users who replaced their thermal pad with copper

and has been proven to be the best method so far to keep the gpu temperature down.

Any questions?

Feel free to ask.

I have to say that I will take your advice but will need a bit of help from your side if you know the subject well. I have found those cooper shims on ebay My link and thermal pads that are 0.5 mm thick as you suggested My link so don't know which will be better choice :) ? Many thx for words of advice :)

I have to say that I will take your advice but will need a bit of help from your side if you know the subject well. I have found those cooper shims on ebay My link and thermal pads that are 0.5 mm thick as you suggested My link so don't know which will be better choice :) ? Many thx for words of advice :P

The Geforce go 6800 in your notebook is known for dying a slow, dishonorable death if not cooled sufficiently.

Sadly, the heatpads seem to wear out over time and are not an optimal heat transfer medium in the first place.

So copper is definitely the way to go...

As I said, I'd choose a 0.5mm shim (thicker, like 0.7 is o.k., too) and use good thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5, or Artctic Cooling MX-2,

to bond the shim to the GPU die and the heatsink and make good thermal contact (you will basically make a GPU Die - Thermal paste - Copper shim -thermal paste - heatsink sandwich).

Once, you have assembled the whole thing, take it apart again, and check whether the surfaces make good contact with each other.

If so, put it back together again and enjoy a cooler laptop that will hopefully continue to go strong for a couple of years to come. :)

Edited by quipster

Ok so today I have ordered 2 cooper shims (0.5 mm and 0.7 mm) with dimension 25x25 mm and also have ordered laptop CPU large cover because if i will decide to upgrade or change Go6800 i will be building a better cooling using the base i have just bought. Will keep y updated :)

Guest LordSurprise

Hi all

I have recently started having problem with my Amilo m3438G and would like to know if those are the symptoms of dying stock nVidia 6800 ? It freeze while playing games but the system is not overheating because i started to monitor the temperature and even in stress it not even 70C and I'm using akasa cooling pad that is always on and after few freezes I have change in services that the cooler on the graphic card is always working on max speed. Also have opened and cleaned the vents and removed the dust. I also had run the mem test for about 3,5h so don't think that the memory is the problem. Recently also have bought 2 new hard drives WD Scorpio Blue 160 GB Sata 150 because had problem with one of the old ones. So any suggestions are welcome. In my opinion it's the graphic card since so many of you have reported that problem but correct me if I'm wrong ... :evil:

PS. The system few times freezes also while for example watching a movie ...

Hi.

All FSC Amilo 3438/4438 Notebooks have the same "cooling problem".

If you start disassemble the grafik-unit you will see that only the front side

of the MXM-Grafikcard is good cooled BUT NOT THE BACKSIDE.

On the BACKSIDE there is the second part of the cardmemory (128MB) and this need to be cooled too.

Specification of the memory can be found in the web.

There you can read that the memory's temperature should not go over 84/85°C.

So if you have a new card make sure that the Card's backside is cooled down too.

Hi.

All FSC Amilo 3438/4438 Notebooks have the same "cooling problem".

If you start disassemble the grafik-unit you will see that only the front side

of the MXM-Grafikcard is good cooled BUT NOT THE BACKSIDE.

On the BACKSIDE there is the second part of the cardmemory (128MB) and this need to be cooled too.

Specification of the memory can be found in the web.

There you can read that the memory's temperature should not go over 84/85°C.

So if you have a new card make sure that the Card's backside is cooled down too.

I'm aware of that and btw thanks for the words of advice as they are always welcome but as far as i know my Amilo there is not much you can do to cool the memory that is on the other side of the card. I think the best solution will be to put on them thermal pad just as it is on the memory on the side of the GPU core. As I said I will be modifying the bottom and largest cover of the laptop to install 8x8 cmm fan just under the graphic card to cool it down properly so i don't think there will be overheating problem ever again.

Guest LordSurpriseOf_FT

????cooling backside isn't impossible.

1.You need thermal pad (not gap-pad)for example from Kerafol (www.kerafol.de) KeraTherm 86/83 8w/mK and

2.copper plate (0.3mm)

3.Aluminium foil

and time...

Look what i did with that.

It works.You just need to make sure that you get no shortcut.

Guest LordSurpriseOF_FT

1.You need thermal pad (not gap-pad)for example from Kerafol (www.kerafol.de) KeraTherm 86/83 8w/mK and

2.copper plate (0.3mm)

3.Aluminium foil

and time...

• 2 weeks later...

2.copper plate (0.3mm)

3.Aluminium foil

and time...

Hi Happy New Year :)

If you can't add a picture just send it to me on apocalypse1982@hotmail.com cheers

I already made a "sandwich" on GPU (paste+copper shim+ paste)and everything is working nicely.