LaptopVideo2Go Forums

GPU Bake again ........

mobilenvidia

Come home from work this afternoon and open the Laptop lid, all seemed well at first.

Then noticed fans were wizzing full tilt and then the Notebook switched off all by it self.

Having been through this before I knew what to do, GPU would have over heated again.

Once again out came the GPU, on went the oven to 180.

Preheated oven for 15min put the GPU in, left it in there for 10min.

This time round wasn't getting my hopes up as a 2nd bake would surely not revive it again.

But it did, what a hoot, just as well, am rather reliant on my old trusty steed

So here goes the guide again to remind all that it can be done (more than once)

You might want to start looking into getting a new laptop. If it has happened twice, it will happen again. This baking trick may not always work.

I'm going to be doing this to my two dead cards as soon as I get some time.

This makes me want to try to revive my partially busted GF 440 go card, then sell it off and my Quadro 4 700 Go GL as well.

Edit:

This makes me want to try to revive my partially busted GF 440 go card, then sell it off and my Quadro 4 700 Go GL as well.

Edit:

Hmmsss interesting description.

It sounds very similar to how my notebook died recently. I was just using it and then all of a sudden the screen went completely black and the notebook made a doof sound and it just died on me completely. I have had no luck in reviving it even after Dell has tried changing 5 motherboards now and CPU heatsinks.

Do you guys think my GPU has overheated like the problem above and that is the cause of all my problems. The notebook can't turn on at all now and whenever I plug in the AC adapter the power on the AC adapter turns off as well like some kinda short or something.

Any ideas? Help.

Cheers.

I have some left over turkey gravy and some stuffing to go along with it........

You sure you're not one of the "Mythbusters"?

I'm imposing integrated 6150 to 5 minutes of 1200W hair dryer heat stream keeping it 1cm close above gpu unit. Laptop is back to buisness for couple of weeks, than it crashes again but I have repeated the whole procedure many times already.

Edited by 4Ever 0.1b

Hmmsss interesting description.

It sounds very similar to how my notebook died recently. I was just using it and then all of a sudden the screen went completely black and the notebook made a doof sound and it just died on me completely. I have had no luck in reviving it even after Dell has tried changing 5 motherboards now and CPU heatsinks.

Do you guys think my GPU has overheated like the problem above and that is the cause of all my problems. The notebook can't turn on at all now and whenever I plug in the AC adapter the power on the AC adapter turns off as well like some kinda short or something.

Any ideas? Help.

Cheers.

Sounds like the laptops power strip that powers the motherboard and everything else than a GPU issue if it wont turn on.

I mean the place the cord plugs into into your laptop that place thats built into the laptop.

Edited by Squall_Rinoa89

Just so you guys know my Dell will still boot up to the BIOS screen (no PSU issue or GPU issue), if it has enough parts left. Kinda hard without the lcd though. Its still in multiple pieces, but working.

• 3 months later...
Guest Confirm-Guy

I can confirm this! I just did it to my 8600m gt. It's working, and alive! However, I baked it wrong haha but it still worked.

my bake was at 275 degrees for about 8-9 minutes. I only baked the card and not the heatsink. But it's working as I am using it right now!

• 4 months later...
Guest alliao

my 8600m GT also died this morning, and I baked it and it's all wonderful now.

wonder how long term fix it is? or maybe if we bake a bit longer? anyone have any experiences or knowledge on this matter?