LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver Issues XPS M1530 6800m GT

Guest Zolan Silverspear

Guest Zolan Silverspear

Well... I can't install drivers.

Before everyone starts to flame me here is a longer description; I have a Dell XPS M1530 computer (Originally comes in with vista) which I have downgraded to XP and was using it without problems for more than a year. It has Nvidia 8600m GT graphics card. I was using 179.48 drivers(with moded inf from this site), and they were working good enough. However I am trying to upgrde those drivers.

Nvidia site has 186.81 drivers. However when I install them and restart I recieve 4 bit color depth and 640*480 resolution.

If I install 186.81 drivers with the moded inf. they work.

If I install 195.39 drivers and restart I recieve 4 bit color depth and 640*480 resolution.

My question would be what is the most recent version that I can use?

(Before anyone asks I am using the most recent bios from dell (A012))

Well... I can't install drivers.

Before everyone starts to flame me here is a longer description; I have a Dell XPS M1530 computer (Originally comes in with vista) which I have downgraded to XP and was using it without problems for more than a year. It has Nvidia 8600m GT graphics card. I was using 179.48 drivers(with moded inf from this site), and they were working good enough. However I am trying to upgrde those drivers.

Nvidia site has 186.81 drivers. However when I install them and restart I recieve 4 bit color depth and 640*480 resolution.

If I install 186.81 drivers with the moded inf. they work.

If I install 195.39 drivers and restart I recieve 4 bit color depth and 640*480 resolution.

My question would be what is the most recent version that I can use?

(Before anyone asks I am using the most recent bios from dell (A012))

That's strange, the most recent version provided by Nvidia is 195.39 I think (from their official site). You could try uninstalling your driver and then using driver sweeper to make sure all driver entries are removed. http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ (read the instructions on how to use it). Then download the driver from Nvidia's site and see if the problem recurs.

Thanks for the tip...

It seems you were right. Re-installing the drivers from the 4 bit eranous mode seems to fix the problem.

However I can not seem to get my external monitor to work now!!!

So let me see...

I have got an external monitor which I have been using as the "primary monitor". However none of the above drivers lets me do that. The trouble is in display settings "use this device as the primary monitor" is garyed out. I have tried the common fix from enchanced inf. to no avail. I tried only selecting the last option and choosing something to all options. Both does not seem to work. Maybe I should format and install a clean operating system...

Thanks for the tip...

It seems you were right. Re-installing the drivers from the 4 bit eranous mode seems to fix the problem.

However I can not seem to get my external monitor to work now!!!

So let me see...

I have got an external monitor which I have been using as the "primary monitor". However none of the above drivers lets me do that. The trouble is in display settings "use this device as the primary monitor" is garyed out. I have tried the common fix from enchanced inf. to no avail. I tried only selecting the last option and choosing something to all options. Both does not seem to work. Maybe I should format and install a clean operating system...

Sorry I haven't got too much experience on the external monitor configuration front, you could try using one of the drivers here (maybe one of Dox's) and use the modified inf along with it.