LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem installing drivers (any)

skayleef

Ok, so I did something stupid. I uninstalled my drivers without backing them up first. I have installed these drivers before so I figure it would be no problem. Boy was I wrong.

Whenever I try to install a driver (I have used the have-disk method and the regular method) It goes through the installation screen, the window pops up letting me know do I want to continue or now. Then it waits about 2 minutes and a window comes up telling me there was an error because something is USING my video driver...

I dont know what to do. I tried searching the forums before asking, forgive me if this is a common problem because I couldnt find it using "search"

Any Help will be appreciated!

P.S. Im on inspiron 1520 tried to install mutliple different drivers. I even went to the dell support page and downloaded the standard drivers for my 8400. I dont know if they installed correctly, but I think they did. When I go to device manager, it still says "standard VGA adapter" and doesnt give me any NVIDA information when I click on it. I am quite baffled.

Download Driver Sweeper. Go into safe mode, and use it to remove all you driver files. Then try the drivers again. It may still install some vga driver automatically when you go back into normal windows mode, but the installs should work after that.

Download Driver Sweeper. Go into safe mode, and use it to remove all you driver files. Then try the drivers again. It may still install some vga driver automatically when you go back into normal windows mode, but the installs should work after that.

Well, I fixed the problem by upgrading to windows 7. I needed an excuse to do it, and this was it I guess.

Well, I fixed the problem by upgrading to windows 7. I needed an excuse to do it, and this was it I guess.

Ok, well if that happens again, do the steps I mentioned. It wasn't something specific to vista. It can happen with 7 too where you need to do that.