LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen not turning on again, tried several drivers

moontear

Hello thar,

I have the following problem: I tried multiple drivers for my Vostro notebook, including the official Vista driver from Dell, but all have the same problem:

After returning from "Standby" (in quotes because I only have the LCD screen turning of, nothing else) Windows cannot resume correctly and the screen stays black. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - I couldn't find any pattern. Sometimes Windows7 warns about unsigned drivers and "your NVIDIA GForce driver has stopped working" etc.

All drivers I tried so far (186.81_win7x32, 186.82_win7x32, 186.91_win7x32, 186.03_win7x32) show the same problem and it is annoying me. Is there some general thing I missed with the AHCPI power modes and Windows 7? All drivers I tried worked flawlessly with games and everything, just the "switching the lcd screen back on" doesn't want to work reliably.

System:

Dell Vostro 1400

Geforce 8500M GS (VEN_10DE&DEV_0427&SUBSYS_02271028&REV_A1)

Windows 7 x86 Enterprise

Current driver version: 186.03_win7x32

Hope someone has experience with these issues,

moon

I've always encountered the same issue. It wasn't a big deal before, but now I am moving several places a day and it's getting annoying rebooting when the lcd decides to remain black. I'll be checking back here to see if anyone knows of a fix. :)

I have the same problem. The only reliable workaround is to disable Standby and use Hibernation instead. Why Hibernation works when Standby doesn't is a mystery.

I never had problems with Hibernation even when several drivers did blackscreen on Standby earlier - which I almost never use.