LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Issue with VGA after Grafik Driver Installation

Guest Showdown

Guest Showdown

Hey Guys

My brother got a Laptop with Onboard Mobile Intel 4 Series Chipset. The laptop is a gift to his son, including some games which require Shader 2.0

Laptop Fujitsu

Amilo Notebook LI 3910

Onboard mobile Intel 4 Series Chipset

As the standard grafik driver didnt support shader 2.0 i decided to search for updates.

Found 2 updates (1 of the distributor Fujitsu and 1 of Intel)

I deinstalled the old driver. Rebootet installed the new one. The resolution changed again up to 1600x800 however, the quality of the grafic still looks like if iam running the VGA Driver or Save Mode.

I tried severel things, installing the other driver, installing in VGA Mode, install via system control. The driver allways appear in the system controll, no !Before the Chipset there. Shader 2.0 also is deteced, eben the games run, but everything is in low pixel grafic like i would be running the resolution on 640x400 etc..

I hope he wasn't truly intending to play games on that machine.

He may have to return them, or maybe even reconsider the whole bundle, if the son needs to use the machine for anything other than basic everyday tasks and limited media playback.

It contains an Intel GMA4500M which has no dedicated graphics memory and uses slower system memory, which it shares with the computer as a whole, leaving the CPU with less to work with.

The chip itself is capable of supporting the CPU to decode HD videos, but because of the slower clock rate, the 4500M has troubles decoding 1080p videos fluently and therefore has no full Blu-Ray logo support.

The gaming performance of the 4500M is not really good. Only less demanding 3D games and very old games may run fluently in low detail settings. Sims 3 and F.E.A.R. for example achieved 30 fps (with stutters) in low deatails and low resolustions (combined with a fast CPU). 2D applications, games and Windows Vista Aero are supported without any performance problems.

Compared to other modern integrated chipsets like the GeForce 9400M or the Radeon HD 3200, the 4500M is clearly the slowest especially for 3D games. Still the power consumption of the chip is quite competitive, so it may be the right choice for office tasks.

Quote borrowed from: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Graphics-Media-Accelerator-GMA-4500M.20379.0.html