LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Conexant HD Audio Problems making me suicidal!

Psy

Hi All,

I have a HP Pavilion DV6815NR laptop that I bought last year. It came with Windows Vista Premium but I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 back in August(was using the RTM version). At first, all was well and everything worked. My drivers were automatically found and installed by Windows update. Then a month and a half later, I started having sound problems which I have been unable to solve - even now! I am at my wits end and feel like throwing this laptop into a wall!

I have done everything I can to fix this issue. The problem first occurred when I tried playing a flash video in my browser. The browser would crash and the sound not respond. Even if I played an MP3, there was no sound. It's like the driver froze and after a while, I got an annoying red X over my sound icon in the task bar. A system restore returned my sound, but was quickly lost each and every time I tried to play a flash video.

Months of research, driver downloads/installation and prayers have not given me any leads. I don't know what to do. This one has me beat and depressed. I have a Nvidia Go 7150/630M Chipset. I have tried updating the chipset drivers hoping that it would fix the problem too but it has not. I have installed the Conexant HD Audio drivers from my product's page on the HP Support site and still nothing. What's weird is that I used an application called Total Service and Driver Control and in its output, it listed the Conexant UAA Function Driver for High Definition Audio Service with a state of stopped. It says its a kernel driver and I don't know how to enable it.

What can I do to get back my sound? Please help! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have attached the output from the Total Service and Driver Control application for your perusal.

driver-enum.txt

Guest maillo

It seems like you're stuck on this one. I would try uninstalling the drivers and cleaning your registry with something like "Ccleaner" (free at www.ccleaner.com/download) and then installing again the originals from HP or even from the original manufacturer of your sound card. I think the manufacturer is Realtek.

If this doesn't work I would try diagnosing when there is audio problems with different programs and audio files and if nothing works you can grab a linux Live CD like the one from www.ubuntu.com and see if the audio works in Linux. That way if it doesn't work you can see it might be a hardware problem. And if it's fine it's very likely it will work under Linux. Last step would be doing a clean install of Windows 7 altogether.

Another idea would be check the audio settings in the BIOS even if unlikely sometimes you may find something that could correct you problems. This is definitely a last resort thing to try especially if you've never seen the BIOS.

Hope it helps.

It seems like you're stuck on this one. I would try uninstalling the drivers and cleaning your registry with something like "Ccleaner" (free at www.ccleaner.com/download) and then installing again the originals from HP or even from the original manufacturer of your sound card. I think the manufacturer is Realtek.

If this doesn't work I would try diagnosing when there is audio problems with different programs and audio files and if nothing works you can grab a linux Live CD like the one from www.ubuntu.com and see if the audio works in Linux. That way if it doesn't work you can see it might be a hardware problem. And if it's fine it's very likely it will work under Linux. Last step would be doing a clean install of Windows 7 altogether.

Another idea would be check the audio settings in the BIOS even if unlikely sometimes you may find something that could correct you problems. This is definitely a last resort thing to try especially if you've never seen the BIOS.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for the reply. I will give it a try report back.