LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 with nVidia FX Cards

LSudlow

Did anyone find working versions for the 64-bit Version of Windows 7?

Update:

174.16 doesn't work

171.12 works apparently

171.37 works as well

Thanks for this, SCF. You're the first (as far as I know) to ask about 64 bit W7 drivers. I'll add 171.12 and 171.37 to the top post.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LSudlow

• Sam G

• SCF

• mobilenvidia

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this, SCF. You're the first (as far as I know) to ask about 64 bit W7 drivers. I'll add 171.12 and 171.37 to the top post.

Heh I guess it's not that common to use a 64-bit CPU with such rather outdated GPU on a system with 4GB RAM :)

I guess that all versions in between 171.12 and 171.37 work. I was just too lazy to test them all. I picked drivers from different major releases and tested them, when I found 171.12 was working I simply tried the highest version of that major release, so chances are 171.16 and 171.20 work as well. Dunno about feature / bug differences between those.

I connected a 24" panel and it worked fine with 1980x1080 resolution. I will keep my eyes open though regarding screen blanking (the issue steen described a few posts above).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Basil

Hi evry1,

I have the fx 5200 64mg (NV34) and have installed every driver mentioned in this thread BUT any driver over 100x installs except the logon/logoff screen is blank. Is there a workaround? Currently i have 171.12 installed with same screen issue.

Best Wishes,

Basil

Guest Basil

Hi evry1,

I have the fx 5200 64mg (NV34) and have installed every driver mentioned in this thread BUT any driver over 100x installs except the logon/logoff screen is blank. Is there a workaround? Currently i have 171.12 installed with same screen issue.

Best Wishes,

Basil

fyi: actually just replaced again with 173.90, no probs except for same said screen issue.

I don't know a workaround for your issue, though what I do know is that use of Geforce FX cards with 1xx drivers on Windows Vista/7 with Aero enabled is glitchy.

For example whenever I login my background will turn black with only the start bar visible. After some time (or somehow forcing a pixel refresh, i.e. by running a program) the background will display correctly. The same issue happens whenever an UAC window pops up. The whole screen except for the UAC dialog turns black. After confirming/denying some elements become visible again (I can also "paint" my screen free again by moving a window around - forced pixel refresh).

Said issues do not happen when I disable Aero and use a Basic skin. Since I'm not that much of an Aero fan anyway (admittedly some features of it are nice) I disabled it.

This post should serve as an update to what sort of "performance" one should expect when using ForceWare 171 on Windows 7 64-bit. I didn't test the official Vista Beta driver in these regards.

• 3 months later...
Guest Harry_from_the _Valley

I just installed Win7HP x86 on an old HP laptop zd7383 that have a Go FX5700...

I tried several of your drivers... it looks like I need a modded INF for that...

I only want that it runs 2D... and in a 16:10 resolution....

Device ID: 10DE-0347

Subvendor: HP (103C)

I just installed Win7HP x86 on an old HP laptop zd7383 that have a Go FX5700...

I tried several of your drivers... it looks like I need a modded INF for that...

I only want that it runs 2D... and in a 16:10 resolution....

Device ID: 10DE-0347

Subvendor: HP (103C)

Try this driver:

The link to the modded inf is here.

Your device is listed in the inf, so it should work. If not, let me know.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wildjames

I'm not sure if this is of any use, but... I had to reinstall Win 7 and the Vista drivers provided by nVidia (96.85) would crash the system. After doing some research about getting a FX5200 running in Win 7, I came upon this site. I've tried most the drivers listed on this topic, but none of them would get me to the Win 7 desktop. So, I decided to go out on a limb. I downloaded 197.75 and it worked! Partially... Right now, I'm limited to 800x600.

Guest Wildjames

Whoops! I jumped the gun. The 197.75 drivers do not work with the FX5200. Neither will any of the other ones mentioned. 197.75 and 156.87 result in an error code. The rest just won't boot.

Guest Wildjames

After analyzing the situation, I've concluded that the card is malfunctioning. If someone is going to try using the FX5200, I'd recommend that they try out 197.75 or 156.87. They seemed to work with Win 7, but my card was giving an Error 43 so the drivers were useless.

• 1 month later...

I've just tried both 163.11 and 173.90 on my Toshiba Portege M200 with Go3200 32M.

Both resulted in a solid blue screen at both login and desktop, with the mouse working on top.

Trying 98.13 now.

Did I do something wrong? I use the modded INFs from the laptopvideo2go pages.

Matt, that sometimes happens when you get an incomplete installation and end up with files from incompatible driver versions. Make sure you uninstall the previous driver from the Windows Control Panel before installing the new one.

If that doesn't work, all I can think of is to try the other (maybe) compatible drivers to see if one of them behaves differently. As far as I know, that list is still 156.73, 158.18, 163.11 and 173.90.

If you discover anything useful, please let us know. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I can confirm Vista 64-bit Forceware 171.37 & 171.16 work with Geforce FX 5600 (NV31) running Win7 64-bit. I didn't try other sets from this series. From the usual suspects, the 64-bit versions of 163.11 & 158.18 also work. Very little time spent with these. In summary:

171.37 - Blue/pale stripe login screen. Enter pass + return starts Aero fine. Some UAC glitches. Shutdown screen corruption.

171.16 - Blue/pale stripe login screen. Enter pass + return starts Aero fine. Some UAC glitches. Shutdown screen OK.

163.11 - Blue/pale stripe login screen. Enter pass + return starts Aero fine. Some UAC glitches. Shutdown screen corruption.

158.18 - Login screen OK. Aero runs OK. Some UAC glitches. Shutdown screen OK.

Didn't bother with FX 5900, but I'd guess that NV30/35 will run 171.xx without the quirks of NV31/4/6. 50% greater DPC latency with 171.xx than 158.18. Glitch with UAC remedied by Alt+F4 & Alt+Tab/Win+Tab resulting in reduction of occurrence.

Merry Christmas.

Steen - Thanks again for posting your results. You've been a great help with this project!

:)

• 3 months later...
Guest altruist

Hey guys, I've noticed something with mine that I can't explain.

If you install the latest nvidia drivers (for a newer, supported graphic card) and then install the 163.11 drivers, it works flawlessly. I've had issues before, but somehow doing this fixes everything.

If someone can explain how I can modify the 163.11 drivers to work without me having to install the latest drivers first, that would be great :)

• 5 months later...

I'm jumping really late into this conversation, but really interested in all that has transpired.

Altruist, there must be some files that are being kept left over.

This may be a little tedious, but I would personally unzip both drivers (new and old) and copy all driver data from the old driver into the new driver, and allow all that is being copied over to be overwritten. From there, you would see exactly what files the old one has and the new one does not.

Then, I would compare both INFs to see exactly what isn't being overwritten from old driver to new.

Should you choose to accept this mission, please let us know your findings! :)