LaptopVideo2Go Forums

windows 7 ultimate

luca75

hi guys,

I hope you can help me,I have a laptop clevo d700 with Pentium 4 3,800ghz Nvidia go6800 and 1Gb of ram,actually I'm running xp pro sp2 and works very well but I would like to update to Winodws 7 ultimate 32,so my question is:it is possible with this old laptop?I'm worried about find the right drivers,Clevo site doesn't support this laptop for Windows 7,for exemple I didn't find any driver for the webcam(Bison cam usb) for the mini-pci wireless card(Msi) and for the toshiba bluetooth stack module,I really think that I can use,I wait for your prompt reply sooner.

Gianluca

I can't speak specifically for the D700, but I successfully upgrade my M7700 Alienware (D900T) to Win 7 Ultimate 64. I had to do A LOT of driver research...mostly because of the 64 bit. 32 would have been a ton easier. Basicly Win 7 swill load "most" of the drivers...then you will have to go through your list and determine what it didn't and begin your research there. My M7700 (D900T) loaded all but three..I needed to find (obviously) the RAID driver which wasn't too easy....I went to Promise's site and fought with them for a while untill I finally found it on the 'net. The other two were the wireless card, Which was a Intel BG2200 (Not supported in 64 bit) so I had to upgrade it to the 3945, the last one was the video driver...I played hell and still am finding a driver that works for it......Windows loads the "Generic Display Adapter" and it works stable....but I'm stuck @ 1024 when I should be at 1440. I am flashing bios's and trying everything I can to get this working with the proper driver and modd'd inf file....I'm sure 99% of this is due to the fact that I went to 64 bit though...I think I would have had a much easier time if I stayed x86 (32 bit).

Give it a whirl see what you come up with. JUST REMEMBER: BACK UP ALL OF YOUR DATA in case you need to start all over.

The cam & your bluetooth will probably load windows drivers automatically. If it doesn't, update windows 7 all the way before you panic...some drivers they have on the update servers that aren't on the DVD.

As for your 6800 GO, you should be able to get a driver here on this site under the driver tab at the top. You should be ok...make sure you use the modd'd inf if it's available.

Edited by Generatorman

I can't speak specifically for the D700, but I successfully upgrade my M7700 Alienware (D900T) to Win 7 Ultimate 64. I had to do A LOT of driver research...mostly because of the 64 bit. 32 would have been a ton easier. Basicly Win 7 swill load "most" of the drivers...then you will have to go through your list and determine what it didn't and begin your research there. My M7700 (D900T) loaded all but three..I needed to find (obviously) the RAID driver which wasn't too easy....I went to Promise's site and fought with them for a while untill I finally found it on the 'net. The other two were the wireless card, Which was a Intel BG2200 (Not supported in 64 bit) so I had to upgrade it to the 3945, the last one was the video driver...I played hell and still am finding a driver that works for it......Windows loads the "Generic Display Adapter" and it works stable....but I'm stuck @ 1024 when I should be at 1440. I am flashing bios's and trying everything I can to get this working with the proper driver and modd'd inf file....I'm sure 99% of this is due to the fact that I went to 64 bit though...I think I would have had a much easier time if I stayed x86 (32 bit).

Give it a whirl see what you come up with. JUST REMEMBER: BACK UP ALL OF YOUR DATA in case you need to start all over.

The cam & your bluetooth will probably load windows drivers automatically. If it doesn't, update windows 7 all the way before you panic...some drivers they have on the update servers that aren't on the DVD.

As for your 6800 GO, you should be able to get a driver here on this site under the driver tab at the top. You should be ok...make sure you use the modd'd inf if it's available.

HI AGAIN,

THANX A LOT FOR YOUR REPLY,FIRST OF ALL I WANT TO UPDATE TO A WINDOWS 32 AND NOT 64 VERSION,I KNOW THAT IS MORE DIFFICUL FIND DRIVERS FOR 64,MY LAPTOP IS OLDER THAN YOUR,IT DOESN'T SUPPORT RAID,JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ULTIMATE CAN WORK WITH 1 GB OF RAM,I JUST WANT TO TRY ON ANOTHER FORMATTED HARD DRIVE(40GB),I WILL YOU LET KNOW SOONER IF MY UPGRADE HAD SUCCESSFULLY! :) BEST REGARDS,

GIANLUCA

Yes its more than capable

HI AGAIN GUYS!

I FINALLY (SUCCEFULLY) UPDATED MY CLEVO D700 TO WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32....EVERYTHING WORKS FINE EXCEPT FOR THE WEBCAM(BISONCAM USB)IN DEVICE MANAGER THERE IS A YELLOW QUESTIONMARK ABOUT AN ALIM5603C,I GOOGLED AND I FOUND THAT IT MEANS SOME PROBLEM WITH THE BISONCAM,UNFORTUNATELY I CAN'T UPDATE BY WINDOWS BECAUSE MY INTERNAL MODEM(3COM 3CCM156B)INSTALLATED ON PCMCIA SLOT DOESN'T WORK,(I USE A DIAL UP CONNECTION)WINDOWS 7 DIDN'T RECOGNIZE IT BUT WINDOWS XP PRO SP 2 YES!!I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY,7 SHOULD HAVE MORE DRIVERS THAN XP.....

I HOPE TO RECEIVE YOUR HEL SOONER.

BEST REGARDS ONCE AGAIN!

GIANLUCA

luca75 use your hardware id's of the devices that have no drivers and search the Microsoft Update Catalog site (use Internet Explorer to view it) or google

hwid.png

results.png

Then use a USB drive to transfer the updated drivers to your Windows 7 machine and update them manually from the device manager

Edited by ricktendo64

HI AGAIN,

THANX A LOT FOR YOUR HELP,I RESOLVED ALL THE PROBLEMS,NOW MY CLEVO WORKS FINE WITH 7 ULTIMATE 32,I WAS WORRIED IF IT WORKED JUST WITH 1 GB OF RAM,BUT IT'S WONDERFULL!I FINALLY CAN "SAY" FAREWELL TO XP PRO!(R.I.P)