LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alps Software/Driver needed

Silvers24

I am tired of going through toshibas and dells BS website.

I have a Sony VIAO (Model # in title)

Anyway I can gain the ALPS drivers/software for it as I have Windows 7 64 bit on here.

• 3 months later...

Best Solution for Dell Laptops

I think it's pretty clear that Dell's ALPS drivers for Windows 7 suck.

True there's a new GUI.

True the resume-from-standby bug is fixed.

However, there is no way to disable the touchpad while typing!

If you want better drivers than Dell has to offer and you want full functionality, go to the following website:

support.acer.com

Then choose the Windows 7 ALPS driver for the Aspire 5741G.

This was released on 3/9/2010 and has drivers dating from January 8, 2010. They are more recent and more fully-functional than any Toshiba or Dell drivers I have found so far. Sony also uses ALPS trackpads, but drivers are harder to find on their website, and the only recent ALPS drivers seem to be multi-touch-exclusive. Also, there is a system-verification-check on all of Sony's driver packages.

This driver is unbranded, which is nice.

You should uninstall your previous ALPS driver, reboot, then install this one with administrator privileges, then reboot.

If you are asked whether you want to run the driver files (such as apoint.exe, etc.) just uncheck "Always ask" and hit run for the 2 or 3 executables that require permissions. Note that you will never have to do this again after reboot!

This driver works well with all NON-multitouch ALPS trackpads, regardless of age. Note that the "disable trackpad while typing" option is not user-accessible in this driver, but it is permanently on, which I think is ideal. If you don't like this default, switch back to the Dell drivers. I also like that you can disable tapping on the TouchStick while typing. (this option is visible to the user if you have a TouchStick)

I guess it is also obvious that this driver works equally well with TouchStick and non-TouchStick touchpads. I have not yet tested it with multitouch pads, so I don't know if it will work, although the "Gestures" tab is there.

Note that if you try installing more recent ALPS drivers intended for multitouch pads, you will likely get a BSoD (blue-screen) and be forced to boot with "last known good configuration" then uninstall the drivers, then install these.

Barrett

Guest danklina

If you want better drivers than Dell has to offer and you want full functionality, go to the following website:

support.acer.com

Then choose the Windows 7 ALPS driver for the Aspire 5741G.

Barrett

Dear good sir,

I use a Vaio FZ-180E. When I upgraded to Win 7 x64 bit I resigned to never being able to use the touchpad scroll function again. But I decided to try one last time with the driver you recommended. I just restarted and, lo and behold, I can scroll again!

Thank you for your advice.

Now to pay it forward. If perchance this thread is search archived and driver-starved FZ Vaio users come looking for advice:

I have functioning drivers for the x64 bit Ricoh Motion Eye camera.

If you want a copy, shoot me an email @ thedanklin@gmail.com

Now we're just waiting on those bloody FN and AV buttons...

• 1 year later...