LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Forceware 195.62

Dox

Maybe u know - what does "BacklightControlPolicy" registry entry control?

Nvidia is usually nice about naming things pretty strait forward for us. "BacklightControlPolicy" tells the drivers which policy to use to control the backlight. :)

It seems like it has to do with the specific configuration of Hybrid Graphics. I have only seen it set at 2 for the Sony Vaio Z for every other Hybrid Graphics notebook it seems to be set to 1.

This is for the setting located at

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Hybrid"

it can also be located at

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm"

but that is usually for Hybrid SLI configurations.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dox

• Nautis1100

• Darmach

• zipper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest tastier

Some more Batterybar testing....

Screen brightness 30%, Bluetooth off, wifi on, camera off, firefox running with a few non-intensive tabs.

With bundled Asus driver:

Intel, idle, light work, discharge rate hovers around 6300 mW, seeing 10 hours life by windows calculation at 83%.

With Dox 195.62 driver:

Intel, idle, light work, discharge rate mostly in 9000 mW range sometimes seems to jump up to around 13000 mW and stay there, fixed by switching back forth between GPUs. Seeing far lower battery life figures from windows, 5-6h at 90%.

For the benefit of casual readers, I get the impression nVidia power saving is improved with the 195.62 driver so it may be an option to run them in nVidia mode permanently. For maximum battery life the best option is still the Asus bundled driver switched to Intel.

Chances are there are still setting/configuration issues contributing to the extra power consumption. The drivers may also just be buggy in a Hybrid Graphics configuration. Drawbacks like you are seeing are always the potential result of using unofficial drivers. It is always recommended to use official drivers if possible as they will most likely give the best stability. Regardless, good and useful information, hopefully more can be done to fix it. Something else to remember is that these drivers are open to a lot more and feature newer technologies than the official drivers, newer cuda, newer physx, newer opengl, opencl, purevideo, directcompute, flash 10.1 acceleration. Hopefully we can get Intel working properly so we can truly have the best of both worlds.

Updated Patch for Hybrid Graphics here. Please test and let me know the results. I have changed quite a bit so it may work better or it may work worse.

Better Suggested Install Method:

Make sure you can see two video devices in device manager before you start installing. If you only see one (usually just the Intel video device) switch modes so both appear. (To do this on Vaio Z make sure the switch is set to Speed.)

1.) Run Dox Installer (195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe)

2.) Wait for it to extract drivers to the desktop ("Win7x64" folder on desktop) and go through the steps like a normal install.

3.) Make sure to choose "Hybrid Graphics" and when you get to the next screen that has "Tweak and Install" at the top (the one where you choose powermiser and mipmap settings) do not choose anything yet, and minimize the installer (don't close it as we will continue from here)

4.) Extract the patch (Dox195.62_Fix2_W7x64.exe) to the "Win7x64" folder on desktop (make sure to replace the existing INF). Note: If extracted correctly you should have a new "x64_patch" folder inside the "Win7x64" folder.

5.) Go back to Doxs Installer (you should still be at that powermiser/mipmap section) and choose the Powermiser and MipMap settings you would like. Click "Install" and continue the installer as normal.

6.) Reboot and Enjoy. (Don't forget to make sure testmode is enabled and sign the drivers, or use ready driver plus.)

or if you prefer the manual install do it the other way that was mentioned.

Should work but is untested as it is almost 3am and I need sleep.

EDIT: For Automatic GPU switching (based on power state) along with configurable time before Nvidia GPU powers down try:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Hybrid]
"HybridPlatformRole"=dword:0000000
"AllowAdditionalDisplays"=dword:00000000

or

"HybridPlatformRole"=dword:0000001

to disable it.

Guest tastier

Okay, with Fix2...

Intel configuration panel now working.

2 minute timeout for nVidia is working, but disables rather than removes GPU from device manager, when this happens discharge rate actually increases by 4000-5000 mW to >13000 mW.

My guess is that while nVidia driver is managing the G210M it's keeping power draw quite low hence the combined power draw of the Intel and improved nVidia being about 9000 mW. Seems that when the the G210M is disabled in device manager it just defaults some generic state without power management but stays active in the background.

Asus:

intel: 6500-7500 mw (after G210M disappears from dev. man.)

Fix2:

Intel: around 8000-9000 mW (before G210M get disabled in dev. man.)

Intel: around 13500 mW (after G210M gets disabled in dev. man.)

nVidia: 9000-10000 mW (both Intel and G210M active in dev. man.)

(just saw you edit on with the registry entries, those were not used here)

Awesome - this actually fixed switching GPU with "Magic Button" (power4gear) :)

After this changes to the registry - enable/disable discreet GPU appeared back in windows power options.

EDIT:

Unfortunately after installing updated fix(2) ,either setup or manual way, i get black screen,

Edited by Darmach

Hello i am using a UL80VT and has no luck getting the patch to work. The Intel graphic in device manager is still reporting a "Windows cannot load the drivers required..." error with the exclamation (!) sign.

I think i might have followed the step wrongly. I have the original Asus driver to begin with. Then i followed all the steps until the last one:

6.) Reboot and Enjoy. (Don't forget to make sure testmode is enabled and sign the drivers, or use ready driver plus.)

I saw few of you mentioned about testmode. What is it actually? I can't find it anywhere, i've tried rebooting and disable driver signature detection thingy and it still doesnt work.

Please let me know where i did wrong. Thanks a heap!

Guest tastier

Eugene, get into testing mode with dseo13b.exe and sign the following files, leave testing mode on.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys

Hello i am using a UL80VT and has no luck getting the patch to work. The Intel graphic in device manager is still reporting a "Windows cannot load the drivers required..." error with the exclamation (!) sign.

I think i might have followed the step wrongly. I have the original Asus driver to begin with. Then i followed all the steps until the last one:

I saw few of you mentioned about testmode. What is it actually? I can't find it anywhere, i've tried rebooting and disable driver signature detection thingy and it still doesnt work.

Please let me know where i did wrong. Thanks a heap!

Eugene - this drivers are not official nvidia/intel/asus drivers, so don't have microsoft digital signature. The reason u see "Windows cannot load the drivers required..." error with the exclamation (!) sign is because Windows 7 by default won't load unsigned drivers.

So basically to run these drivers - u have to force Win7 to run unsigned drivers. You can accomplish this by pressing F8 each time u start your computer, and choosing to disable driver signatures, or (as tastier wrote) using dseo13b.exe.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I found the testmode in dseo13b.exe but i still have no luck getting it work.

This is what i have done :

1. Run dseo13b.exe. Enable test mode.

2. Extract Dox original v1.1 driver and patched it with Nautis (followed the instructions)

3. Sign the 2 files as mentioned by tastier. Repeated with F8 and disable signature enforcement.

Here's the snapshot to show that i have correctly enable the test mode.

My link

Okay, with Fix2...

Intel configuration panel now working.

2 minute timeout for nVidia is working, but disables rather than removes GPU from device manager, when this happens discharge rate actually increases by 4000-5000 mW to >13000 mW.

My guess is that while nVidia driver is managing the G210M it's keeping power draw quite low hence the combined power draw of the Intel and improved nVidia being about 9000 mW. Seems that when the the G210M is disabled in device manager it just defaults some generic state without power management but stays active in the background.

Asus:

intel: 6500-7500 mw (after G210M disappears from dev. man.)

Fix2:

Intel: around 8000-9000 mW (before G210M get disabled in dev. man.)

Intel: around 13500 mW (after G210M gets disabled in dev. man.)

nVidia: 9000-10000 mW (both Intel and G210M active in dev. man.)

(just saw you edit on with the registry entries, those were not used here)

Interesting, the default settings for each Hybrid Graphics notebook are included in fix2 so if there are still problems it could be driver and not INF related. If you had the newer Intel drivers or Doxs original set installed previous can I suggest uninstalling these and all other Hybrid Graphics drivers. Then downloading the original (newer) Intel drivers (heres a link) installing (rebooting) and then uninstalling them. Then installing these. This will help remove any registry entries that could be causing issues due to being leftover from the newer type of Intel drivers. There probably arn't but just to be safe.

Awesome - this actually fixed switching GPU with "Magic Button" (power4gear) :)

After this changes to the registry - enable/disable discreet GPU appeared back in windows power options.

EDIT:

Unfortunately after installing updated fix(2) ,either setup or manual way, i get black screen,

It is a good idea after installing any drivers to do the following to make sure the correct version has been properly installed:

1.) Open Device Manager

2.) Open Properties on the device you are checking (double click on it)

3.) Click the "Driver" tab and then the "Driver Details" button

4.) Here you can check the version information of the actual files that are installed rather than just an INF based string that can be easily changed. (Click one of the DLLs and check the "File Version". Nvidia versions will look like #.##.#1.9562 or 195.62 and Intel versions I like to identify by the last 4 numbers.)

If you can, please check the version on the Intel drivers (you can do it in safe mode too). It seems like the 2### series are still being installed for some reason. Also the information under Device status on the General tab is also useful.

You have a UL50VG, correct? I will re-look at the INF on fix2 to see if I messed something up.

Sorry here's the correct snapshot.

My link

Hmm.. lemme look at something.

EDIT: As suspected I may have mixed up something. Let me look a bit further.

Guest cherrybombaz

I installed the drivers onto my sony vaio z and when I switch from the nvidia to the intel card, everything words fine. However, I am unable to switch back to the nvidia card.

I installed the drivers onto my sony vaio z and when I switch from the nvidia to the intel card, everything words fine. However, I am unable to switch back to the nvidia card.

I have noticed the same issue.. hmm.

Guest Berrzebb

Hmm

My OS Windows 7 /32bit

Laptop Model ul 30vt

dox 195.62 driver install black screen or intel driver warning

in my opinion hybrid graphics packages win7x86 folders not add igfcg500.bin

fix able?

welcome back dox :)

ive alreay appreciated your work and still do,great stuff :)

i hope your new drivers will be as good as the old ones or even better xD

ive have 2 9800m gtx inside a dell m1730 and will try your newest creation

when iam done i will post the results for all lonesome 9800,gtx users out there :C

thx

I have noticed the same issue.. hmm.

No worries Nautis, i have successfully installed the driver with your patch and is now working good (although not perfect). My mistake is that i was trying to fix the first failed attempt of Dox driver installation with wrong step. It turned out that i have to backtrack all the way to Asus original driver to start over because trying to fix it after messing it up simply didnt work. Driver in device manager is reporting 9562 now. Graphic switching works manually and the power consumption is very close to that of reported by tastier.

However the Fn+BrigthnessAdjust function is gone, but it's not a big deal since it can be adjusted through power options on system tray. Haven't tried any games yet but i am pretty sure it will run just as good if not better.

Something to add,

There 1 problem now as reported by tastier as well. When it runs on Nvidia, the power consumption will hover between 8-9W which is pretty normal. However, after switching to Intel, initially the power consumption will remain at 8-9W which is also normal albeit a little higher than the original one. However, after Nvidia is disabled on device manager, the power consumption shot up to 13-14W and stayed there which reduces the endurance by almost half. It can only be fixed by re-toggling between Intel-Nvidia but the issue is recurring.

Ok I am in the process of doing some serious testing.

There are definitely some strange things going on with possibly both of these drivers. I just tried the Intel 1994 with the latest official vaio z drivers and the nvidia gpu never gets disabled (also throws some errors.) I have switched to Intel 1930 which works great with the official vaio z drivers (and many other hybrid graphics sets) but 195.62 will not allow me to switch back to Speed/Increased Performance/Nvidia from Stamina/Save Power/Intel. So yeah.. I am going to build myself a non-optimized INF for testing to make sure its not an issue with optimisation. (highly doubtful)

So all in all, not the best news thus far. I have tested over 20 Hybrid Graphics driver sets and maybe 3 have given me similar problems.

1930 may fix your power issues, (here if ya wanna try it) but I would still expect some odd problems. Testing in progress.

k have tested the stuff for the sli 9800m gtx

i installed the update 5 driver

like all other user i had my problems to install the driver -.-

finally i followed the instruction from update 5

so i choose the inf which comes with the x64fix download ,not the inf inside the normal dox folder

i hope that is the correct inf for my sli 9800m gtx :)

--->

official driver:

--------------------

3dmark 06 = 10500

furmark 1.7 = min 88 fps,max 153 fps, avg 99 fps, 6500 pts

(i know,should hav etested it with furmark 1.8 in multi-gpu mode,but had not enough time)

Crysis timedemo (msterconfig 3.0 ->ultra settings,rygel textures,so -> ultra :) ) , timedemosettings(1280x1024,4aa,no af,1 run,dx10,32bit) : avg 22,46 fps :P

dox driver:

-------------------

3dmark 06 = crashed hahahhaa.never seen that before :unsure:

furmark 1.7 = min 50 fps,max 105 fps, avg 72 fps, 4540 pts - strange oO

Crysis timedemo (msterconfig 3.0 ->ultra settings,rygel textures,so -> ultra :w00t: ) , timedemosettings(1280x1024,4aa,no af,1 run,dx10,32bit) : avg 22,26 fps :unsure:

so i would say as always dox drivers are not made for benchmark :unsure: but for real gaming

the timedemo of crysis had almost the same avg fps oO

22,46 vs. 22,26 :unsure:

the game looks the same to me,nothing better or worse

its strange that all the benchmarks had worse results

3dmark 06 crasehd :P

so finally i would say that the newest creation of dox is not bad but not as good like in oldtimes like the 180`s or 185`s :C

if i made a mistake in my installationroutine pls enlighten me thx

Edited by thedude2k9

Ohhh man :) one thing is awesome with this driver :)

I started Lineage II today evening - which i haven't play in some time.... ..and it looks like it works awesome on this driver :P

On original Asus driver it took about half of a second to minimize the game, but maximizing it back to fullscreen was taking about a minute......

On this driver - almost instant :unsure:

(BTW. Maybe you know what in Asus drivers could make maximizng a game to fullscreen take so long?)

guys, maybe we could chill a bit?

here goes upcoming Alienware M11x laptop with GF 335M card and hybrid scheme

I hope that the graphic driver will be fresh and up-to-date and we can use it for other hybrid laptops

P.S. I was wrong :)

driver has 188.55 version

Edited by v00d00ley

nice driver

had them in vista x64 worked great, but in w7 x64 i cant change the scaling option why i apply a setting it goes always back to "use Nvidia scalling"

someone a fix?

i fixed the scaling problem:

its does work, but the option is only checked at a lower screen resolution.

this driver runs +- 6 degree hotter in win7 x64 than in vista x64

Guest lillolix

i fixed the scaling problem:

its does work, but the option is only checked at a lower screen resolution.

this driver runs +- 6 degree hotter in win7 x64 than in vista x64