LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Does my 259EN1 require BIOS V2.03 installed for an 8600M GT upgrade?

Smiley69

Guys/Gals,

can anyone from the wealth of knowledge within this forum tell me if my laptop requires the Alienware V2.03 BIOS to enable an 8600M GT to work correctly in my laptop or will the original Uniwill V2.02 allow it to function correctly?

This is a very long overdue upgrade to my laptop and any feedback would be gratefully received.

Smiley

Guys/Gals,

can anyone from the wealth of knowledge within this forum tell me if my laptop requires the Alienware V2.03 BIOS to enable an 8600M GT to work correctly in my laptop or will the original Uniwill V2.02 allow it to function correctly?

This is a very long overdue upgrade to my laptop and any feedback would be gratefully received.

Smiley

I upgraded the 259 succesfully with the Nvidia 770M (Quadro counterpart to 9600M GT) and I'm running on BIOS version 2.02, too. So there should be no need for an unpdate.

Cheers for the info Quipster, how well does the new card run in the laptop? Any heat issues?

Now that has just given me a burning desire to buy the 9600GT!

Can you confirm that your laptop is the Pentium M version and not the dual core (I think) version?

Also, and excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is with the Quadro thing? Is it a variation of the mainstream card?

Smiley

Cheers for the info Quipster, how well does the new card run in the laptop? Any heat issues?

Now that has just given me a burning desire to buy the 9600GT!

Can you confirm that your laptop is the Pentium M version and not the dual core (I think) version?

Also, and excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is with the Quadro thing? Is it a variation of the mainstream card?

Smiley

No heat issues at all if you apply some little tricks. Firstly, I do have the Pentium M version, so practically all the mods that I made could be (or some have to be) carried out by you, too. The 9600M GS/GT (and Quadro 770M for that matter) have all one major downside with regards to using them in the N259EN1/EN3. They all create a VGA-BIOS issued warning about invalid MXM-Structure:

ERROR: MXM Structure not found or invalid.

Reflash MXM ROM or add MXM structure and associated callbacks to SBIOS! Post will be halted to 30 seconds and performance will be limited to balanced performance mode until this is resolved...(and then counts down from 30 to 0 and boots Windows.)

So, whenever you want to use 9600M GT instead of Onboard, you have to wait an additional 30 secs until bootup (no biggie I think, it's worth the wait). The second thing: The notebook will beep during this countdown. This can be suppressed/switched off by pressing Fn+F3.

Third thing: The card will only run in low 3D Mode (reduced performance), but this problem can easily be solved with a BIOS-Mod using Nibitor. See nightwalker's guide from step 4 on: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=316079

Fourth thing: You have to mill the heatsink to make room for a bigger capacitator. Absolutely crucial, you can't make the upgrade without it. Then use a copper shim/thermal paste sandwich as heat conductor between heatsink and GPU-Die instead of the crappy thermal pad. In your case, you should end up with about the same temps as before.

8600M GT and 9500M GS also require the heatsink to be milled, but they run flawlessly without making any fuss with Bios and so on. But if you are confident to handle the other stuff, shoot for the 9600M GT.

In my case I made some additional modifications: Firstly I replaced the Pentium M 750 with a 735 and pinmodded it to run at higher FSB. 17x 140 MHz(in High performance mode) gives me 2380 MHz, mighty fine...

For the additional heat I compensate with Coollaboratory liquid pro metal thermal conductor. (good product, but it also has it's inconveniences)

Next thing I undervolted and overclocked the 770M (it is the "professional" counterpart of 9600M GT and allows for special OpenGL optimised drivers, and it can make use of those optimisation in contrast to 9600M GT, but DirectX perfomancewise it runs just as fast as 9600M GT) . I'm running on 600 Core/1450 Shader 870 Ram (very "conservative" and safe overclock compared to others, haven't pushed the card anywhere near it's limits), all that at the lowest VID of 0.89Volts. Keep's the temps in check, too. Mighty fine, too... 3Mark 2003 gives me 16800 points.

Last thing. I built in a different fan. Well, this has a different reason. When I wanted to mill the heatsink I accidentally the whole thing :)

No, I dropped it and the fan wasn't running well anymore after that. So I cut of the entire fan housing with a metal cutter, and replaced the fan with a model from the HP NX6125, which happened to lie around in my place.

In fact, it's way quieter than the old one, and maybe somewhat more efficient, too. Mighty fine.

In general: temps maxing out at fantastically freezing 72° CPU, 78 GPU.

All right, that's all from me, hope I could answer all your questions and maybe some more, and hope I didn't raise to many new ones.

Edited by quipster

Evening Quipster,

and cheers for Encyclopedia Britannica's complete brief on modding a 259!! :-) I'm still digesting the contents.

I'm looking at all your advice and have been searching for comparable benchmarks for the 9500M GS and the 8600M GT and it appears that other than the 9500 using alightly less power there isn't much in it.

I'm leaning towards the 8600 for financial and ability to upgrade reasons, and i feel that this may suit my needs.

Can you tell me where you bought your replacement card from?

Smiley

I struck a real bargain with my 770M for just 65 Euros on German ebay. The seller didn't know how to bring the

card up to full performance and stated this fact in the auction text, so there wasn't really any competitive bidding and I ended up replacing my previous 9500M GS, which I sold afterwards, and making 30 Euros to boot.

Dunno about UK in general for good buying sources, but i guess you'll find plenty of sellers on UK ebay. As far as performance is concerned, the 9500M GS ist around 10% faster than 8600M GDDR2, but should be outperformed by around 10% by the 8600M GT GDDR3, so maybe that would be just the card you are looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/nVidia-GeForce-8600M-GT-256MB-MXM-II-Graphics-Card-Acer_W0QQitemZ270517437633QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL?hash=item3efc1884c1

Edited by quipster

Cheers for performance information and the link, i think that item has only come on today.

Time to make an offer.

Cheers again for all the info, i might pester you again for more if i get stuck.

All the best,

Smiley

Didn't get the card at the link above, 9600M GT is more likely unless another DDR3 8600M GT appears.