LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Help!!!

Guest Federico

Guest Federico

Hi! My laptop computer is the Dell XPS 1730 with dual Nvidia 8800m GTX graphics card.

My problem is the following. I had Windows XP working fine until it started to crash five minutes after reaching the Windows desktop. Then I installed Windows 7 (current OS) and everything went fine until I installed the latest Nvidia drivers. Now, evertime it boots to the part where I put my password to begin session, it crashes right before I can write anything, then I get the blue screen of death and then it reboots again. I uninstalled the drivers and let Windows 7 install them but the exact same thing happens.

Thoughts: I have the laptop since 12th February 2009. Could it be a faulty card? Maybe it was damaged due to some high temperatures (I don't overclock). Some months ago the Nvidia physics settings allowed me to enable SLI, but some time later everytime I checked that box and rebooted, the computer crashed. Then, I didn't get any box to enable SLI. However, I check the BIOS and it states that I have 1024 MB of video memory, which would be 512 + 512 of the two cards.

Any thoughts? My warranty expires the 12th February 2010!

Hi! My laptop computer is the Dell XPS 1730 with dual Nvidia 8800m GTX graphics card.

My problem is the following. I had Windows XP working fine until it started to crash five minutes after reaching the Windows desktop. Then I installed Windows 7 (current OS) and everything went fine until I installed the latest Nvidia drivers. Now, evertime it boots to the part where I put my password to begin session, it crashes right before I can write anything, then I get the blue screen of death and then it reboots again. I uninstalled the drivers and let Windows 7 install them but the exact same thing happens.

Thoughts: I have the laptop since 12th February 2009. Could it be a faulty card? Maybe it was damaged due to some high temperatures (I don't overclock). Some months ago the Nvidia physics settings allowed me to enable SLI, but some time later everytime I checked that box and rebooted, the computer crashed. Then, I didn't get any box to enable SLI. However, I check the BIOS and it states that I have 1024 MB of video memory, which would be 512 + 512 of the two cards.

You could try driver sweeper to ensure that there are no stray driver files lying around. http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/. Try that out first, if that doesn't work perhaps a format and reinstallation. Since you're warranty is expiring soon you might want to get the laptop checked out soon if the above doesn't work.

I was gonna suggest the same thing too. To try driver cleaner or sweeper and then reinstall a fresh latest nvidia mobile driver and then physX driver. You should go into safe mode 1st too and then run driver sweeper to clean out all the nvidia driver files properly then go back into normal windows mode and install the new drivers again.

Hows the progress chiefs?

You fixed your problems?

Cheers.