LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Best drivers for gaming?

Hey there,

I was wondering which driver version would be best for gaming. I have tried the new 53.03 drivers and they don't seem to be the best. When running a game such as Battlefield 1942 the game will be perfectly smooth for about 10 seconds then slow down to molasses, then speed up again. Always a constant slow and then fast. Same thing happens on low resolution with all details set to off. I think one of the 29 series version of drivers worked best for me a while ago, however I have since lost them. Any ideas? I am running a Toshiba Satellite 1955-S801 with a GeForce4 440 Go adapter.

Thanks.

Strike Eagle,

You want speed no matter what, 44.10 (and 44.03) are the fastest there is for DX8.x (BF1942)

You want speed and stability stick with 44.68.

If you still get Molasses then something else is wrong.

I have the above plus many more modded (look in my Performance section down the bottom) for your conviniance.

Enjoy,

Pieter.

Some more data-points:

I have an FX Go5200 on a Dell Inspiron 8600. I get the best benchmarks for 3D-Mark01se using the 53.0x drivers. On my system the 44.68 drivers tested slower, even for non-DX9 tests.

-Scott-

The Avatars came form the nVidia Homepage.

They are really Trademarked (copyrighted).

But good advertising I say for free.

Pieter.

I think I'm actually running into a different kind of problem now. I have tried the 44.68 drivers and they seemed to be better at first. But I am now reverting to some bizarre problem where a game will run fast then slow to an absolute crawl, then speed up again for no apparent reason. Has anybody encountered this and may have a work around?

Again my system settings are: Toshiba Satellite 1955-S801 512MB Ram Geforce4 440 Go 32MB card. Still plenty of hard drive space available so that wouldn't cause it. Are there any display settings that I should change to improve performance? I have tried nvhardpage to increase performance but that doesn't seem to do anything. Would adding another 512MB ram help?

Thanks.