LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Yet again, another overheating problem with an 8600m GT

Gameo

It is, as time have passed, no secret that the 8600m GT is a hot card by nature, and it doesn't exactly help when you put it in a 14.1" Zepto laptop.

I am now(not to blame Dox in any way) experiencing some overheating issues a while after installing his drivers. I've had them for two weeks or so, and for no reason at all, my fan seems to have slowed down a bit. I haven't touched any "technical" things for a while, so I don't know what has happened.

Usually, my computer GPU is about 60-65c hot when idle, but that has increased to 72-77c, and I've even blown all traces of dust out of it, which usually helps. I even use a laptop cooler, yet it still, for no reason keeps being around the 72-77c when idle, and it almost always hits 96c when I'm gaming.

As far as I know, the laptop used to set the fan to high every now and then to keep the computer cool, but it seems like it has stopped doing that for some reason, and I can't control it with Speedfan.

Any suggestions?

I have successfully downgraded my BIOS version to an older one, and it's now running at 59-62c when idle, which is awesome.

Windows Explorer seems to be a bit slow sometimes, though.

EDIT: My computer became slow as hell; not only explorer, I lost like 40fps during gaming, so I've upgraded the bios again.

Why doesn't the fan kick in for real? It should, according to the BIOS settings. It's like it's constantly running on 40% speed or something.

Edited by Gameo

• 2 weeks later...

I still need help. A nightmare about the computer fan turning on to unimaginable speeds with a screaming sound reminded me of the problem. Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Forget it, there's apparently not much help to be found so I'll try formatting and see if it helps.