LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Hybrid Graphics on Dox 195.62

Dox

Managed to get hybrid graphics (for win7x64 ONLY - Vista as well?) to work thanks to Nautis.

confirmed to work with Asus UL30VT.

Instructions are here:

So detailed instructions:

1.) Run Dox Installer (195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe)

2.) Wait for it to extract drivers to the desktop ("Win7x64" folder on desktop)

3.) Close Dox Installer (Sorry Dox) :)

4.) Extract Dox195.62_Fix_W7x64.exe to the "Win7x64" folder on desktop replacing the existing INF (You should now have a "x64_patch" folder inside the "Win7x64" folder to go along with the INF that was replaced)

5.) Open Device Manager and do a manual install. (On Vaio Z make sure the switch is set to Speed. You should only really need to update the Nvidia drivers as both should install at the same time.)

6.)Enjoy. (Don't forget to make sure testmode is enabled and sign the drivers.)

download the patch here: CLICK ME

It's working here, followed instructions with last patch(Dox195.62_Fix_W7x64.exe", on first attempt only the intel driver installed but after a reboot into testing mode and a second manual install it worked. Yes, I can switch between intel and nVidia just fine with the tray icon, switching between GPUs via power profiles isn't there though.

UL30VT

X64 Windows 7 Ultimate

G210M with nVidia 195.62 driver

Working with 195.62_Win7x64 1.1.exe patched with Dox195.62_Fix_W7x64.exe and installed manually via device manager in testing mode(dseo13b.exe).

Signed files(dseo13b.exe):

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\igdkmd64.sys

Just to be verbose and for clarity, I realised that one needs to be in testing mode even if the drivers have been signed, I probably should have gathered that if I'd read previous instructions more carefully. Permanently in testing mode here now, with watermarks turned off, I wonder if there are any implications to running in testing mode like this?

Btw, these new drivers are like a hardware upgrade, can't thank you guys enough.

Cheers

Hope this helps.

Rather than manually signing the drivers and using testing mode, you should consider using the just released ReadyDriver Plus V1.2, which is compatible with Windows 7 and shouldn't have the race condition issues that V1.1 had (I should know, I wrote the bootsector myself :)). I'm using it on this computer w/ Windows 7 x64, and it's working just fine.

We've touched on Hybrid tech with respect to Apple MacBook Pros in the past, but I want to check on something: on your PC laptops, you ARE seeing both the 9400/9600 (or whatever combination you happen to have) in Device Manager, right?

I just want to make 110% certain that the MacBook Pro's inability to use the Hybrid power mode in Windows is due to Apple's firmware, not some software quirk that can be overcome.

We've touched on Hybrid tech with respect to Apple MacBook Pros in the past, but I want to check on something: on your PC laptops, you ARE seeing both the 9400/9600 (or whatever combination you happen to have) in Device Manager, right?

I just want to make 110% certain that the MacBook Pro's inability to use the Hybrid power mode in Windows is due to Apple's firmware, not some software quirk that can be overcome.

There is a special bridging circuit that is used with PC's, this could be the stumbling block for Macs should they differ.

Not sure on this though, not a Hybrid man myself.

Rather than manually signing the drivers and using testing mode, you should consider using the just released ReadyDriver Plus V1.2, which is compatible with Windows 7 and shouldn't have the race condition issues that V1.1 had (I should know, I wrote the bootsector myself :)). I'm using it on this computer w/ Windows 7 x64, and it's working just fine.

Some people do not want to muck around with the bootloader or risk potential data loss for something as trivial as a video driver. ReadyDriver is a great alternative though for people who are not really worried about that. Does ReadyDriver still cause an extra delay while booting?

And while on the topic of paranoia, for those who do not know, the whole reason for only allowing signed drivers to work in windows x64 is meant to be a security measure on the part of microsoft. It is meant to help prevent kernel level trojans/rootkits and other potential data stealing drivers and things from being able to install. Any method that allows unofficial drivers to install is bypassing this mechanism, including "test mode".

Not going to be the answer you are looking for but in most cases yes you can see both. There is a special case on the Vaio Z where if we have the Hybrid Graphics drivers installed and the switch is set to Stamina (Intel GPU) the Nvidia one disappears from device manager.

I have a difficult time thinking the MacBook Pros hardware would be that customized to the point were it would be a hardware issue. Most likely it is something to do with the BIOs, maybe some lock or setting. I know on the Vaio Z with a hacked BIOs (image) there is a VGA Switching Policy setting which AFAIK affects the way the GPUs are detected. (maybe just the switching portion)

I don't put much faith in Nvidia when they claim things can not be done due to a hardware issue. They have been proven wrong time and time again and in most cases it turned out to be a software lock or specialized configuration on Nvidias part.

I assume with the MacBook Pro you do not see both GPUs? NOTE: I have zero mac experience so I am guessing.

Some people do not want to muck around with the bootloader or risk potential data loss for something as trivial as a video driver. ReadyDriver is a great alternative though for people who are not really worried about that. Does ReadyDriver still cause an extra delay while booting?

I wouldn't worry too much about data loss - at worst (say if you install the bootsector on the wrong partition) you'll get an error saying boot.bin can't be found, after which you can boot normally. And if you do still run into issues with the timing, you can select the normal operating system boot option manually before the timer runs out.

Yes, ReadyDriver will always lead to a delay while booting - this is because the 'script' it runs cannot be initiated except by being automatically selected by the operating system (or if you do it by hand I guess). The delay has to be long enough that we can be sure the script will execute before the timer runs out, but short enough not to be annoying - unfortunately, the speed at which the script runs varies greatly between different computers, which leads to the 4-second selection delay (ReadyDriver Plus v1.1 had a 3-second delay, but this turned out not to be enough on some PCs - 4 seconds is pretty generous though).

Of course, the advantage is that you won't have to muck about with testing mode (and trying to get rid of the annoying desktop text that brings with it), and you won't have to manually sign every new driver that comes around. Naturally this is especially useful if you dabble in driver development yourself.

Edited by Ver Greeneyes

I have a difficult time thinking the MacBook Pros hardware would be that customized to the point were it would be a hardware issue. Most likely it is something to do with the BIOs, maybe some lock or setting. I know on the Vaio Z with a hacked BIOs (image) there is a VGA Switching Policy setting which AFAIK affects the way the GPUs are detected. (maybe just the switching portion)

I don't put much faith in Nvidia when they claim things can not be done due to a hardware issue. They have been proven wrong time and time again and in most cases it turned out to be a software lock or specialized configuration on Nvidias part.

I assume with the MacBook Pro you do not see both GPUs? NOTE: I have zero mac experience so I am guessing.

Correct. You only see the 9600M GT in Windows, although you can switch back and forth between the 9400M and 9600M GT in Mac OS X.

Unfortunately, since Apple uses EFI instead of BIOS, the number of people that know how to tweak a Mac at that low level of abstraction are few and far between. If I had a EFI tool or resource to refer to, I'd be working on a solution right now.

Correct. You only see the 9600M GT in Windows, although you can switch back and forth between the 9400M and 9600M GT in Mac OS X.

Unfortunately, since Apple uses EFI instead of BIOS, the number of people that know how to tweak a Mac at that low level of abstraction are few and far between. If I had a EFI tool or resource to refer to, I'd be working on a solution right now.

Good news! The Vaio Z also has an EFI bios. Sony originally disabled virtualization on it so using the technique here was the only way to re-enable it. It was also learned that we could reactivate the advanced menu using the same method.

Since the MacBook Pro is on the x86 architecture I have a hard time thinking things would be drastically different. As far as I have read it uses an EFI emulation layer to boot windows, my guess is that one of the GPUs gets disabled in this process. Again though I could be completely wrong. :)

Well, I sent a message to one of the guys that worked on that EFI tweak--we'll see if he responds. Thanks for the information.

Based on the reply that I got, I'm going to hold off on trying to enable hybrid graphics for now. Looks like it wouldn't be horribly complicated to figure out if I was a CS graduate instead of a EE, though.

Sorry guys but I have the stock asus drivers for my UL80VT and when I want to manually installl dox drivers (after disable driver signature and copy and paste of the dox patch in the dox driver folder windoz still telling me windows has determined that the driver version you use is up to date!!!! any idea?

Managed to get hybrid graphics (for win7x64 ONLY - Vista as well?) to work thanks to Nautis.

confirmed to work with Asus UL30VT.

Instructions are here:

download the patch here: CLICK ME

Hope this helps.

Hi any chance you can update this driver to include NVIDIA GeForce GT 325M, which is on my ASUS N61JV-X2. The current driver for it does not even include the ability to scale to fit screen, for hdmi-monitor plugging. Since this is an Optimus system (switchable graphics), I can easily scale to my 1920x1080res acer monitor when it is running on the Intel IGP but when Im gaming (which uses the Nvidia GPU), the screen changes back to the laptop's native resolution of 1366x768. So the screen is just a small one in the center of the monitor. If anyone has a workaround to this, please let me know.

I do notice that the in-game resolution can scale to full screen of the 1080p monitor, but doing this will lower the frames per second. Long story short, I want to use my laptop's native resolution of 1366x768 and hdmi to my Acer monitor and have it "scale to fit screen" without increasing the resolution setting. My ASUS 1201n netbook has the same native resolution as this laptop and can easily scale itself to the monitor's full screen with its native res.

Also, does you modded driver include size and scaling options? The current driver for GT300m series does not: Optimus driver 189.07. I know this GPU is relatively new with its current support, it feels broken.

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I have a Asus UL30VT.

Does the Driver only work with win7x64?

Does it work with win7x86 too?

thx

found the answer myself:

UPDATE 4

for windows vista/win7 x86 and users who use hybrid graphics:

download the attached file to this post (at the bottom) and put that extracted file into the Win7/Vistax86 folder after running the installer then click install.

Edited by dextro

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Hi, I have a Samsung NP-QX410. (Intel GMA & Geforce 310M running Win7x64 Ultimate)

I'm having trouble installing the drivers, I've tried everything (manual install, Winx64 fix, etc..) and still no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Paul

***Philippines