LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Instability with Win 7 x64 + nVidia drivers (9600M GT)

Guest phMoschetta

Guest phMoschetta

Hi!

It's been 4 months since I've bought a new laptop (HP Pavilion dv7-1253ca with a GeForce 9600M GT, originally branded with Vista) and upgraded it to Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit version). Since then, I have a series of instability problems caused by an unknown agent (possibly an incompatible/conflicting driver?), and that includes:

* constant Firefox crashes (with the bug report window);

* constant Chrome "Aw, Snap!" messages;

* constant Flash Player 10 crashes with all browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IExplorer);

* constant random crashes playing games like The Sims 3 and Fallout 3;

* "Desktop Window Manager" service constantly stopping.

Here are a few fixes I've already tried:

* fresh re-install of Windows 7 a couple of times (32-bit & 64-bit versions);

* disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention);

* uninstalling/disabling IDT Audio drivers;

* uninstalling/disabling Bluetooth drivers;

* clean-boot Windows;

* memory testing with memtest+ (diagnostic OK);

* BIOS update to the latest version.

So, the only solution to the problem I've found was to uninstall the nVidia drivers and use the crappy "Standard VGA Display Adapter" drivers that come with Windows, that don't support Aero or let me play any game. As soon as I install the GeForce drivers, everything starts crashing again. Another solution I've found was to run Windows Vista, but that's totally unacceptable after you try Windows 7 for the first time.

I've already tried using many driver releases, from the HP-provided 179.04 to the latest 195.62 from LaptopVideo2Go.com; but it's no use...

Any ideas? Please help! It's been weeks I'm after a solution, but I'm just hopeless... Thank you!

Guest FMYLAPTOP

i have almost the same story except i have a gt 240m and realtek audio in an asus and i used to get bsods from the stock driver and freezes all i have to do is go to the nvidia driver helper process and end it during the game

Guest phMoschetta

i have almost the same story except i have a gt 240m and realtek audio in an asus and i used to get bsods from the stock driver and freezes all i have to do is go to the nvidia driver helper process and end it during the game

Yup, but the difference is that I don't get BSODs at all. That's why I think this isn't exactly an instability, but a incompatibility/conflict that all nVidia drivers have in common (component or service) with another device or driver. But how am I supposed to diagnose that?

I'll try messing around with the nVidia running services, as you suggested. Thanks! :)

Hi!

It's been 4 months since I've bought a new laptop (HP Pavilion dv7-1253ca with a GeForce 9600M GT, originally branded with Vista) and upgraded it to Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit version). Since then, I have a series of instability problems caused by an unknown agent (possibly an incompatible/conflicting driver?), and that includes:

* constant Firefox crashes (with the bug report window);

* constant Chrome "Aw, Snap!" messages;

* constant Flash Player 10 crashes with all browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IExplorer);

* constant random crashes playing games like The Sims 3 and Fallout 3;

* "Desktop Window Manager" service constantly stopping.

Here are a few fixes I've already tried:

* fresh re-install of Windows 7 a couple of times (32-bit & 64-bit versions);

* disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention);

* uninstalling/disabling IDT Audio drivers;

* uninstalling/disabling Bluetooth drivers;

* clean-boot Windows;

* memory testing with memtest+ (diagnostic OK);

* BIOS update to the latest version.

So, the only solution to the problem I've found was to uninstall the nVidia drivers and use the crappy "Standard VGA Display Adapter" drivers that come with Windows, that don't support Aero or let me play any game. As soon as I install the GeForce drivers, everything starts crashing again. Another solution I've found was to run Windows Vista, but that's totally unacceptable after you try Windows 7 for the first time.

I've already tried using many driver releases, from the HP-provided 179.04 to the latest 195.62 from LaptopVideo2Go.com; but it's no use...

Any ideas? Please help! It's been weeks I'm after a solution, but I'm just hopeless... Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Guest Tim Smith

It's April 20th and i am having the exact same problems. Did anyone find a solution? I have the newest nvidia drivers and a drivers check reveals that it is up to date?

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

also (HP

Pavilion dv7