ASUS G51Jx-3D

mobilenvidia

3D LCD (120hz) notebook anyone ?

NVIDIA Geforce 360M anyone ?

This beast should be available soon.

asus_g51j_3d.jpg

ASUS G51Jx-3D:

15.6" HD (1366x768) LED 120Hz Display

Intel Core Core i7-720QM (1.6~2.8GHz, 45W) w/6M L3 Cache - (10Gb/s DMI I/O BUS) Processor

NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready - NVIDIA GTS 360M 1GB GDDR5 VRAM

6GB DDR3 1066MHz Memory

500GB 7200RPM HDD

DVDRW Super Multi

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

WiFi-N

BlueTooth

2MP Webcam

Gigabit Ethernet

This should be quite a good all rounder, and the first true 3D notebook for the masses.

Hopefully they will have an option for a higher resolution LCD, WGA is not quite cutting the mustard.

For purchase details head on over to AgearNotebooks

wow! this is pretty awesome. and it's not that expensive either. too bad it's only a 15 inch. after using a 17 for the past year i can't go smaller anymore. :)

I don't really care about 15.x" vs 17.x" but I do notice that this is a particularly low-resolution 16:9 display. 16:9 displays are practically useless for normal computing tasks, since practically everything scrolls vertically. 16:10 is much better. Also, once one uses a 1680x1050 display, one never goes back to anything lower :-)

Seen a test of its predecessor with GTX 260M - the 3D is pretty much crippling the performance and halving the fps. Needs more oomph and I doubt GTS 360M is much better with less cores and 128bit bus...

There have actually been quite a few 3D laptops recently, but they've all had bizarrely low specifications (usually a Pentium Dual Core with some kind of Intel GPU!), nice to see some laptops that might actually be able to handle it.

I'd argue 1366x768 is a good resolution given it also had to deal with the overhead of rendering in 3D.

• 1 month later...

I'd argue 1366x768 is a good resolution given it also had to deal with the overhead of rendering in 3D.

And like me using 24" external it's no problem; finally decided to order this one as it's the only capable laptop in its price range available in my country.

And like me using 24" external it's no problem; finally decided to order this one as it's the only capable laptop in its price range available in my country.

Yes the G51 is probably the best all round Notebook out there in any country.

Not sure whether I'd go for the 3D screen or not, not sure I'd sit in front of a 15.6" screen with glasses on :)

I'll probably never try them with my poor 3d sight...

• 1 month later...

With 2 months of experience I just wonder how Win7 is so fragile - more problems than with Vista in 2 years. Some installs have led to broken startup and needed repair or recovery. The last one didn't even work via restore points - I had to use (3 weeks :) ) old backup to get my laptop to start again. And just because some important file was corrupted and it could not be repaired by any means. On Vista I got bootmgr corrupted a couple of times but it was fixable with repair CD. Best to keep backups fresh....

With 2 months of experience I just wonder how Win7 is so fragile - more problems than with Vista in 2 years. Some installs have led to broken startup and needed repair or recovery. The last one didn't even work via restore points - I had to use (3 weeks :) ) old backup to get my laptop to start again. And just because some important file was corrupted and it could not be repaired by any means. On Vista I got bootmgr corrupted a couple of times but it was fixable with repair CD. Best to keep backups fresh....

Wonder if some driver with your new technoogy is causing this issue.

I have nothing but praises for Win7, and found the opposite.

This could be due to drivers for older technology being more stable.

You'd best send me your new beast and I'll take a look :)

Let's wait a little, I'm practising to manage it - backup updated and some caution added to what I'm doing. Yes it's old software and foremost protected games which are troublemakers. And some oldies do work fine like Shogo from Win95/98 era...

• 1 year later...