LaptopVideo2Go Forums
mobilenvidia

v196.86 Windows 7/Vista 64bit | Dell Mobile

Guest Who Cares

Wow some fat british kid alone in his mother's basement got angry.

We must all help him by all means, or don't care.

Guest Somebody

I GOT THAT F'CK1NG 5H17 ABOUT THE CONTROL PANEL NOT BEING ABLE TO INSTALL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I'm stuck with an enforced VGA driver (no acceleration and 5h17 resolution) that I can't seem to bypass by any means.

I can't roll back or anything.

All driver installs keep bull5h1771ng me about "no changes" or errors or requiring reboots.

All attempts now bomb me back to a VGA driver that I can't seem to circumvent.

I have searched and am not alone, although there is not definite conclusion to this nV ######-up that happens with some drivers.

This has happened before but this time I am eligible for the genuine Dell driver package.

I simply want to watch some f'ck1ng videos tonight and I've been stuck like this for 24hrs.

I can't remember what stupid pointless trickery sequence I had to do the last time this happened, and I'm getting really angry.

I've already tried going through the registry and also using Driver Sweeper.

My computer is still currently 5h1773d up because of a 5h17 installer or some f'ck1ng (vulnerable or slow) MS dependencies that they don't tell us we must have enabled. :)

I'm seriously p1553d off right now.

I hate wasting days on this kind of pointless cr4p.

Here's a couple more for you:-

"The system has not been modified" - upon re-enforcing VGA after any driver install attempt.

There's another lie that pops up if you run a screensaver, saying something like it can't run because your graphics card is 5h17 and can't do D3D.

You may have already tried these options:

1) Registry cleaner (CCleaner) as well as Driver Sweeper (use Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode).

2) Or just use System Restore to return to an earlier point in time when everything worked fine.

d3v

Wow some fat british kid alone in his mother's basement got angry.

We must all help him by all means, or don't care.

Haha.

"Kid"? I'm truly flattered.

You couldn't be more wrong.

How about: "short-tempered aggressive disabled [but not recognised] middle-aged bloke - not living with either of his Mums".

Oh! and I ain't fat.

I'm a wiry and skinny guy but not in the "looks weedy" sense. I'm a mountain biker with scars to show.

I have other major problems and I don't need a build up of irritations like this tipping me over the edge and spilling over into real-life.

You don't want to know why.

Just believe me when I say I am a victim of a cowardly violent crime which went unpunished and am now myself a reflective product of this "society" (which may eventually partially reap the spoils of what it sows one day) who is getting increasingly frustrated with slack-arsed firms these days.

Anyway...

What has my nationality got to do with this?

We're not really known for screaming and whining like babies over here.

At least I don't know any blokes like that.

Sorry if I upset you with my textual outpouring of my general temperament.

I needed to shout, to vent.

Be a little smarter than to think any words I posted were directed at anybody here.

If you read you'll see I didn't actually ask for any help.

I was merely venting, as I don't think anybody knows the definitive cause of this yet and nobody from nV seems to be stepping forward even though it is quite a common complaint.

A simple Google search will find many floundering punters with the same affliction.

This has happened several times and I am somebody who tweaks, tweaks, tweaks, so am not completely naive when it comes to fixing stuff.

I haven't yet come to terms of the imposing Vista-isms of Windows 7 so, as a staunch XP Pro x86 user who held out, I expect nasty surprises occasionally.

Sorry to use this forum but it is a relevant place.

It's not so much the one driver as, when the damage is done, you end up in a forced VGA loop that you can't break with other drivers.

edit: [to the guy before me]

Yes, I already tried those things.

I don't use System Restore. I saw it in the early days of XP and it broke stuff more often than not with its half-a-backup system. If you tweak a lot I can only see it breaking other things that weren't broken. Besides, I am a power-user and hogging resources like that, for something that doesn't seem to do a good job, is just not an option.

Thanks though.

Edited by d3v

d3v

More details and behaving like less of an arsehole will get you some help.

There are no more details from me on this one.

I run no bolt-ons, add-ons or anything that would obviously conflict.

I run my machine fast and stripped of unnecessary services and other resident resource hoggers.

It just fails to install the Control Panel and from then on Windows get really bloody-minded and all driver attempts from any angle get rolled back some way or another, to the [safe?] VGA driver.

From then on it's driver h3ll. [ <- altered because some forum software deems this also an expletive.]

Edited by d3v

Guest bob

try this... make sure there are not more than one "inf" file in the installation folder. so if you have nvdm.inf and nvdm_original.inf in the same folder, then delete nvdm_original.inf

d3v

More driver facts, less personal whining.

"guest"? A-hahahaha.

You sir, are a goading faceless troll. I trust you understand that this situation wouldn't exist in real life.

Driver facts?

Like this?

There's this driver, see? It didn't install.

No other facts. Nothing unusual. Just, occasionally, one of these drivers will do this.

This time it was this one that kicked back out on me because of the Control Panel not installing.

Before, there was another one that did it.

Different ones do it to different folks at different times.

The problem is, once it has, any subsequent attempts to reinstall your last driver will fail with the same error.

To the real posters: I don't always use the infs. From the tone of the originating post I assumed that the driver's bundled inf is natively applicable to my card.

I don't know what's different in the repack here but I tried the original NVIDIA_NOTEBOOK-BETA-DRIVER-_P03_R261769.exe from Dell also and go the same results.

I will try to download and use the modded inf, to make sure the implied compatibility is not the case without it.

d3v

The modded inf didn't work either.

I didn't expect it to as my card should have been included in the original already.

I believe, in this case, the mod just replaces DeviceIDs for those whose chips were removed from the nV inf by Dell.

That missing quote from earlier:

The NVIDIA Control Panel could not be installed which may affect driver functionality. The most recent driver that worked will now be restored.

I'm going to try the other modded inf. The one that was supplied for folks with BSODs. This one may have different alterations.

d3v

That one didn't work either.

I've just noticed that my screen is listed as a "Generic Non-PnP Monitor". I don't remember that being the case. I thought it was PnP.

I just tried changing it to PnP but upon reboot it was changed back.

The odd thing is, Windows didn't even inform me. What's going on there!?

Guest Guest

This works fine here, installs flawlessy as usual.

Performance seems quite similar to last versions.

Temps are fine too.

K4m1k4z3

I've encountered a weird bug: My clocks get stuck at Low Power 3D Mode (meaning they won't go any lower) after exiting a 3D app. Weird, eh? Back to 196.34 for now.

Guest nobody knows

I've encountered a weird bug: My clocks get stuck at Low Power 3D Mode (meaning they won't go any lower) after exiting a 3D app. Weird, eh? Back to 196.34 for now.

Are you setting the Performance Mode in the games 3d profile to prefer max? try setting it to adaptive instead.

K4m1k4z3

Performance Mode? Where do I set that? O.o

zipper

Got it with 196.75 - went back to 195.62 where PowerMizer works OK for me.

d3v

This works fine here, installs flawlessy as usual.

Performance seems quite similar to last versions.

Temps are fine too.

Lucky for you.

I'm still screwed with the broken install and am no closer to checking the driver out or even getting any acceleration back.

I've also tried reinstalling my Intel .infs, just in case the interface driver got damaged.

Also removing the monitor in case it had something to do with me using two monitors the other day and something getting confused. My monitor has had three different names since I removed it and let it reinstall[?]

I never have any real issues with the nV drivers and just upgrade every time that one is listed on here.

This install error thing has happened to me twice now.

Now, no nV driver will install, all reporting the same issue with the control panel.

In desperation, I've tried reinstalling .NET to try to see if Windows installer had gotten broken, but that just didn't appear to do anything and I couldn't find an error anywhere.

So, to troubleshoot that, I then tried installing the System Update Readiness Tool but that just hung with the progress bar near the end. Subsequent attempts have just sat without any progress. Cancelling the install just sits, apparently doing nothing, saying it's cancelling until I forcibly terminate the process from task manager.

Evidently a core component or dependency is broken here but I don't know which further backward steps to take next or how far back I can indeed go.

In case somebody suggests using SFC, I've also tried that integrity test already.

Event Viewer is not showing anything particularly helpful, just some non-related problems that are confused errors that shouldn't be listed.

neokjo

Have u allready tried the -> Have-Disk-Method:

with any driver version, just to check if there is a problem with the driver and your hardware.

If not pls try and report what Win said why this don't work

Edited by neokjo

Hapatingjaky

Still get a BSOD after install with these, the last set that works are the ledgit versions off of Nvidia 195.81.

Basically eveyrthing installs great but once the system is restarted and it reaches the welcome screen, for a few seconds you see the welcome screen then it goes black and then appears the BSOD listing NVLDDMK.SYS as the problem, everything up to 195.81 has worked just fine, anything after that gets this BSOD.

Tested using Windows Vista X64 and Windows 7 Ultimate X64.

I've tried both INF's listed in the thread as well as trying to replace the one from 195.81 which dosen't work or I can't figure out how to trick it into working.

My notebook is an HP HDX 9494NR running an 8800M GTS 512MB http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3747924

Edited by Hapatingjaky

Nautis1100

Let me make sure I have the correct info. The following systems & GPUs are having BSODs:

Sager - M570RU - GeForce 8800M GTX

Sager - M571RU - GeForce 8800M GTX

HP - HDX 9494NR - GeForce 8800M GTS

Dell - Vostro 1500 - GeForce 8600M GT

Asus - G72GX - GeForce GTX260M

If you have a system not on this list and it is having issues please post it. (BRAND - MODEL - GPU - LAST WORKING OFFICIAL DRIVER VERSION)

d3v

Have u allready tried the -> Have-Disk-Method:

with any driver version, just to check if there is a problem with the driver and your hardware.

If not pls try and report what Win said why this don't work

Me?

Yeah, I tried all ways to install it.

It just returns the control panel error - which requires a reboot to roll back and reinstall the Standard VGA driver - or, if I try again to install something over the top without rebooting, it just tells me that nothing was modified and I still need to reboot first. Obviously a flag is set.

hovercraftdriver

Let me make sure I have the correct info. The following systems & GPUs are having BSODs:

If you have a system not on this list and it is having issues please post it. (BRAND - MODEL - GPU - LAST WORKING OFFICIAL DRIVER VERSION)

Mine is HDX 9000CTO, but same BIOS, Motherboard, etc as his 9494.

Interesting that you brought this up. I searched through the other (64bit) 196.xx driver threads and all the fails were 8800's, 9800's, 260's and 280's, plus another 8600. All except the 8600 are based on the G92 core. Don't know why that would affect things, but thought I would bring it up.

Edited by hovercraftdriver

d3v

I have the above, in bold, although it does have some unofficial HW added to it: 4GB PC-6400 RAM, 4GB Intel Turbo Memory, 2.1 + EDR Toshiba bluetooth, 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD

I had issues with installation and, because of that, I now have issues installing any driver; all returning the same error.

I'm sure the driver would be fine though. I haven't had one that wasn't... when it installed.

Guest mike

how do i get this to work with my toshiba satellite a505 with a geforce 310m??? or im useing driver 188 but i get screen tear when i play bfbc2 and need a up date

Matt Sharpe

Works fine on dual Quadro NVS 290s.

Had to use modded inf.

Galdere

Just to confirm I've had no problems at all since editing the original inf.

With the old LV2G inf it was a BSOD after install and on every other boot, otherwise it was alright, although I didn't test it much.

Galdere

I have the above, in bold, although it does have some unofficial HW added to it: 4GB PC-6400 RAM, 4GB Intel Turbo Memory, 2.1 + EDR Toshiba bluetooth, 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD

I had issues with installation and, because of that, I now have issues installing any driver; all returning the same error.

I'm sure the driver would be fine though. I haven't had one that wasn't... when it installed.

Your problem has nothing to do with this driver specifically, so can you open a new thread please.