LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Can't access NVIDIA Control Panel

serabeth

I've read the general FAQ and the quickstart guide before posting this, as well as searched both forums for my problem, so I apologize if this has already been asked somewhere before. I'm also pretty much a computer dummy, but I'll try to explain what I did as best I can :).

I just downloaded version 196.75 for Windows Vista 32 bit. The installation seems to have gone well; when I went to NVIDIA's site to have it scan my graphics drivers, it showed that I was currently using version 196.75. I didn't download the driver version NVIDIA's site recommended for me (it would've been a downgrade); I just wanted to make sure the correct version had been installed.

Anyways, today I wanted to access my NVIDIA control panel, so I right-clicked my desktop, selected NVIDIA control panel, and got this error message: "The NVIDIA Display Panel extension cannot be created. Possible reasons may include: Versions mismatch. Reinstalling display drivers may solve this problem."

So by using the drivers posted here on this site, am I then just no longer able to access the control panel, or did I do something wrong in the installation?

Thanks in advance for any help :)!

I've read the general FAQ and the quickstart guide before posting this, as well as searched both forums for my problem, so I apologize if this has already been asked somewhere before. I'm also pretty much a computer dummy, but I'll try to explain what I did as best I can :).

I just downloaded version 196.75 for Windows Vista 32 bit. The installation seems to have gone well; when I went to NVIDIA's site to have it scan my graphics drivers, it showed that I was currently using version 196.75. I didn't download the driver version NVIDIA's site recommended for me (it would've been a downgrade); I just wanted to make sure the correct version had been installed.

Anyways, today I wanted to access my NVIDIA control panel, so I right-clicked my desktop, selected NVIDIA control panel, and got this error message: "The NVIDIA Display Panel extension cannot be created. Possible reasons may include: Versions mismatch. Reinstalling display drivers may solve this problem."

So by using the drivers posted here on this site, am I then just no longer able to access the control panel, or did I do something wrong in the installation?

Thanks in advance for any help :)!

That is a bad driver version.. You will probably want to remove them, clean them off your PC (Driver Sweeper in safe mode), and reinstall with an older driver (I'm using 196.21). Hopefully you didn't already damage your card as that driver has killed some cards and the 8600M card has enough trouble on its own with heat issues (my friend went through 2 of them..).

That is a bad driver version.. You will probably want to remove them, clean them off your PC (Driver Sweeper in safe mode), and reinstall with an older driver (I'm using 196.21). Hopefully you didn't already damage your card as that driver has killed some cards and the 8600M card has enough trouble on its own with heat issues (my friend went through 2 of them..).

Thank you; I rolled back to the most recent driver before 196.75 and was able to access the control panel, then :).