LaptopVideo2Go Forums

PhysX installed but not active issues with Notebooks

mobilenvidia

There have been numerous reports of PhysX installing just fine but not being active.

This seems to be a Notebook issue.

To help diagnose this issue, if you are experiencing the above and would like to help fix it or at least bring it to NVIDIA's attention reply back here.

Try not to report back in the driver posts as it may not be a Geforce issue and a database of issues in one spot is alot easier to work with.

What you could try is:

latest Geforce Drivers with Latest PhysX Drivers

Latest Geforce drivers with Old (ie go back to September '09 version) PhysX Drivers

Older Geforce ie 185/186 with Latest PhysX Drivers

I take it older Geforce Drivers with older PhysX Drivers works or we wouldn't be here now :)

Also test with Latest OEM drivers where possible, just incase it's a setting that is only found in Mobile Drivers.

Would be interesting to see where things went wrong.

I so need a PhysX capable machine to help test.

Happy diagnosing :)

PhysX will not work for me on either 197.13 or 197.15 with any PhysX version. All older drivers work, but those drivers do not work for any PhysX version. I have a 256mb 8600m GT.

So for you safe to assume that the Driver is causing the issue.

Is PhysX actually not active or just reporting as not ?

Do PhysX tests perform slow ?

Hardware PhysX is not working. All of the demos I have tried fail either due to the hardware not being present or render in software mode only.

Something afoot with 197's then ?

189.07 works OK ?

As this is the same internal version series as 197.03

Something afoot with 197's then ?

189.07 works OK ?

As this is the same internal version series as 197.03

I haven't tried any drivers that far back.

189.07 is very new, same build version as 197.03

This only with the recent drivers? If so i can test a few of them i suppose with my 9700M GTS sometime soon and download all the recent ones to see if PHYSX is enabled in the nvidia control panel.

Doxs 195.62 -> PhysX 9.09.1112 , and older work; newer 9.10.0129, 9.10.0222 don't work.

Same thing on 186.82 oem driver.

Tested with NVIDIA PhysX Particle Fluid Demo.

Dont know if this helps,

I tested using the Particle Fluid Demo with the Nvidia 195.62 drivers taken directly from Nvidia and using the Physx 9.09.1112 drivers (I had done the old 2 files first as I have the Ageia Processor in a small attempt to get it activated but from what I understand they removed the functionality in on of the later physx patches)

Turned the Physx Visual Indicator on and ran the demo, highlighted that it was using GPU Physx (pressing H changed it between that and CPU)

Installed the 9.10.0222 version found on here today

ran the test again

No GPU Physx usage, pressing H only restarted the simulation

Might test with some of the other driver versions now since I'm likely to revert Physx drivers anyway

Right, here goes my story:

any driver with Phyx older than 9.09.1112 -> PhysX is working.

195.81 drivers with PhysX 9.09.1112/9.10.0129 ->PhysX not working

197.15 drivers with PhysX 9.09.1112/9.10.0129 ->PhysX not working

197.15 drivers with Physx 9.10.0222 -> PhysX is working fine

Tested with Vantage CPU test.

Edited by Blacky

Guest Big Vix

Hardware PhysX is not working. All of the demos I have tried fail either due to the hardware not being present or render in software mode only.

Same problem here on an mXPS 1730.

GPU PhysX works fine for me on my GT 240m using driver version 196.86 (LV2G inf) and PhysX version 9.10.0222. The game tested was Mirror's Edge.

This seems to support the suggestion that it is an issue with the 197.xx series of drivers, rather than the newest version of PhysX.

Edited by Shakey_Jake33

Guest inasad

The last 3 versions of PhysX did not work on any of the 197 drivers (.03, .13, .15) on my 8600M GT. However, any version of PhysX, including the newest one released a few days ago worked on the 196 series as well as 195.62...Definitely looks like a 197.xx driver problem

Guest steve30x

Its not just laptops are having that problem. I have an 8800GTX in my games machine (Desktop) and the Nvidia Physics enabled games are using my CPU instead of my 8800GTX. I am using my 8800GTX because its the only spare GPU I have that can use Physix.

Guest Guest

PhysX 9.10.0222 didnt work with older drivers 195.62, newest drivers doesnt show physx either newest or old ones, i usually play railworks, it doesnt give any errors regarding to physx, seems working fine with new drivers, but with little bit fps drop, maybe we should wait until new laptop drivers come out from nvidia

Just tried 197.03 - no problems with PhysX.

Hmm Dox drivers work but the 0129 PHYSX drivers dont, could be something wrong with the PHYSX and not a driver issue for display. I'll try 0222 and back to 1112.

Guest motrg

I'm using the Xtreme-G 195.62 mobile version and PhysX 9.10.0222 without any problems. In fact, this combination has gotten me the best performance so far in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (the game is actually pretty smooth and enjoyable now :) ). PhysX works, as confirmed by the Particle Fluid Demo. Unlike Dox's 195.62, the Xtreme-G version installed right out of the gate, without any modifications or the "have disk" method. I'm on an 8600m gt

Sorry I am so late on this. For those who don't have PhysX working try adding the following to your registry or INF section:

INF:

HKLM,"Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak",PhysXShowUI,%REG_DWORD%,1

Registry Import:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"PhysXShowUI"=dword:00000001

After doing this and rebooting you should be able to find PhysX options in the control panel.

Ok, got this without any trickery :)

screenhunter02mar202303.jpg

Heres mine with 196.21 driver installed and Physix v09.09.1112. As you can see Physix isnt working for me. I will try the latest driver and physix to see if that helps.

er9.png

{Edit] Still no go with the new Physix and 197.03

fu5.png

Would my problem be that my motherboard is crossfire only?

[Edit 2] Physix works with Physix driver version 08.09.04. It must be the new Physix drivers that is the problem.

[EDIT3] I got Physix to work by installing previous Physix Drivers v 09.09.0428 ,then 09.09.0814 , then 09.09.1112 and lastly the newest Physix driver. I didnt uninstall any of them. I just installed one over the other and then rebooted. Now all Physix games use Physix off my GPU.

Edited by Steve30x

Found an intresting work around. I spent a few hours at this on my laptop with the 9700M GTS. If i uninstalled say 1112 drivers and installed ether 0129 drives (only 2 i tried) PhysX would be disabled says GPUz. The same if i had uninstalled and ran driversweeper to remove the PhysX drivers it still wouldn't fix the issue.

I was wondering if maybe it was something more of a problem so i had went in after i uninstalled PhysX drivers and deleted the PHYSX folder that was on my HD in Program Files for i believe x64 may have been x86. No matter, i made sure my system didn't have any folders name Physx. Upon doing that i went ahead and reinstalled 1112 physx drivers with DOX 195.62. Ran GPUz and where i had problems before PHYSX was enabled.

If anyone wants to try and replicate this with the new drivers please do. I will make a follow up on this prob within the next few days with newer drivers and try Physx drivers 0129 & 2222 this way to see if it is indeed a 'fix'. For now i managed to get 1112 drivers to work successfully.