LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need driver for GeForce Go 6800 Ultra

Tmape

Hi, hope you don't mind helping out a know-nothing.

I have a Dell xps M170 with Windows XP Media Center edition, version 2002 and a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra card. I got the computer back in late 2005/early 2006. Since it has slowed down significantly over the years, I recently asked a friend to reset the computer to out-of-box/factory condition. After he'd done that I noticed that the screen, which I am quite sure previously had a resolution of 1920x1200 now only has a maximum of 1600x1200 under display properties>settings. I am not sure if this is related to graphics drivers or not but what makes me suspicious of the drivers is that when I re-installed one of the games I play, Ragnarok Online, each time I open it I get I get an error message that stays "Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem." Additionally, it would not display the window resolutions when the configuration dialogue popped up before the game launched for the first time (getting that dialogue is normal, but there should be #x# resolutions in the drop down boxes). I get the same problem if I change the setting to full-screen mode.

So I am assuming this is all due to the graphics driver. Either, a.)Michael erased and did not reinstall the diver or b.) something happened to it and I should reinstall it.

But where can I download the basic driver for the GeForce Go 6800 Ultra? I cannot find it on the NVIDIA website, and I do not know how to navigate the laptopvideo2go site. Like I said, I'm a know-nothing when it comes to computers.

I gave as detailed a description as possible in case someone thinks that this situation is driver-unrelated. Please let me know right away if you need any kind of additional information. Maybe also tell me where to find it too, heh...

Well, ok, thank for helping a lady out! :)

Edited by Tmape

Guest chuckt67

I have a Dell xps M170 with Windows XP Media Center edition, version 2002 and a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra card.

Tmape,

I was just passing by, thought I could help. The graphics driver is the 3rd most important driver to be installed after an operating system re-install. After 1)notebook system software and 2)chipset. You stated your friend used the restore to original state function that dell has on a hidden partition accessible from an 'F#' function at startup. If he indeed did this, all your drivers are already installed. Let's check to see if the driver is there. 2 easy ways. you should learn both. Go to control panel. choose display. click on last tab (settings). you might have been here to check your resolutuion. There should be an advanced tab. clck it. a new window comes up with more tabs. choose the 'adapter tab. This should show the nvidia 6800 card. just to get used to it, try this other way. Go click on 'Start', right click on 'My Computer' when the flyout view comes up. Choose 'Manage'. The Computer Management' will come up. click on 'device manager' in the left hand window pane. in the right pane click on the plus sign before 'display adapter' to exand it's list. you should see your geforce go 6800 ultra there. right click on it and select poperties. once up, choose the second tab (drivers). This should have a version number on it confirming the 6800 driver is there, if it isn't it will probably say 'VGA'...something. If you have no driver then your friend probably re-installed windows. Here is where you can find all(that dell provides) the drivers for your model:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=3&t=26376&qpid=128179

Go here for the install order:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/driver_install_order?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~lt=print

I have the same model and love it still. Now if only someone could help me revert my rivatuner 'softmod' of my geforce 6800 ultra to quadro FX4000 debacle.

Good luck on your end.

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible the old driver installed with the "fresh" re-install isn't the correct one for the card.

If you can navigate it, Dell has the original drivers online for the 6800Go Ultra, and you can just download and install, and they work out of the box. They are seriously outdated, but they are a lot less hassle if you are just looking to have everything on the notebook back to working as it should, and not looking for the highest frame rates in the latest games.

• 8 months later...

Hi, hope you don't mind helping out a know-nothing.

I have a Dell xps M170 with Windows XP Media Center edition, version 2002 and a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra card. I got the computer back in late 2005/early 2006. Since it has slowed down significantly over the years, I recently asked a friend to reset the computer to out-of-box/factory condition. After he'd done that I noticed that the screen, which I am quite sure previously had a resolution of 1920x1200 now only has a maximum of 1600x1200 under display properties>settings. I am not sure if this is related to graphics drivers or not but what makes me suspicious of the drivers is that when I re-installed one of the games I play, Ragnarok Online, each time I open it I get I get an error message that stays "Cannot init d3d OR grf file has problem." Additionally, it would not display the window resolutions when the configuration dialogue popped up before the game launched for the first time (getting that dialogue is normal, but there should be #x# resolutions in the drop down boxes). I get the same problem if I change the setting to full-screen mode.

So I am assuming this is all due to the graphics driver. Either, a.)Michael erased and did not reinstall the diver or b.) something happened to it and I should reinstall it.

But where can I download the basic driver for the GeForce Go 6800 Ultra? I cannot find it on the NVIDIA website, and I do not know how to navigate the laptopvideo2go site. Like I said, I'm a know-nothing when it comes to computers.

I gave as detailed a description as possible in case someone thinks that this situation is driver-unrelated. Please let me know right away if you need any kind of additional information. Maybe also tell me where to find it too, heh...

Well, ok, thank for helping a lady out! :)