LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Driver for Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT - Win 7 32 bit - Sony Vaio

franticelectric

Hi everyone

I am a graphic design student and I have been having loads of problems with my driver for my nvidia geforce 8400M GT which means I can't run the software I need to run.

I have a Sony Vaio vgn-fz21m which came with vista 32 bit. 3 months ago I upgraded that to windows 7 32 bit version. That went all very smoothly untill recently. My laptop kept crashing because of a driver error from which it couldn't recover.

I have come across many people who've had this problem with vaio-nvidia-win7 but the only sollutions I found where for 64 bit pc's and I don't want to do a clean install just yet.

I have tried every driver there is, every modified driver there is, changed a whole lot of inf. files but nothing has worked.

I'm really puzzled why the driver I had (which was for vista 32 bit) suddenly just stopped working and now no other driver seems compatible. (my dad has vaio with win 7 and the 8400M GS and there are tons of working drivers for that one, why not for the GT, it's a far superior type!)

I really need some help because I'm way behind with my work.

thanks so much

Run devmgr.msc, expand Display adapters, double click or right click your video card and go to Properties, then the Details tab, click the drop down menu and select Hardware Ids and copy and paste your hardware id and paste it lets see if we can find the latest Windows 7 driver for your gfx card

I may soon get a VGN-AR870 soon and I think we may have the same exact card

Edited by ricktendo64

this is the ID:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D&REV_A1

I've come across people with the same card and ID but as I said, they all ran win 7 64 bit and the solution doesn't work in my 32 bit.

I even entered the ID in the laptopvideo2go driver database and downloaded the matching driver, which worker for about 5 days and then it all crashed again.

I've also tried other stuff like resetting my bios etc. But no luck

Edited by franticelectric

According to Sony no driver exists or will be developed for the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT in Windows 7. That is just retarded. I don't want to revert back to vista, vista stinks.

I really hope a modified driver will pop up online soon.

According to Sony no driver exists or will be developed for the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT in Windows 7. That is just retarded. I don't want to revert back to vista, vista stinks.

I really hope a modified driver will pop up online soon.

I have 8400M GT video card, and it installs fine on Windows 7 (with the vista installation files) on the Sony site, but I run into issues with playing HD (720 or above) videos. This was not happening in Vista. I've come to the conclusion that this has got to be driver related because I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 just the other day!

Can anyone help?

I have 8400M GT video card, and it installs fine on Windows 7 (with the vista installation files) on the Sony site, but I run into issues with playing HD (720 or above) videos. This was not happening in Vista. I've come to the conclusion that this has got to be driver related because I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 just the other day!

Can anyone help?

Mine installed fine as well but it was only after a couple of months that problems arose. I think it's rather crappy support, not providing a driver and forcing me to work on slow slow vista. I don't have the cash to just by a new laptop like that for such a stupid reason.

• 2 months later...