LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Inspiron 6000

Guest Pankaj Kumar

Guest Pankaj Kumar

I have recently switched to windows 7 on Dell inspiron. My sound is not working there is a cross sign on the audio output sign and there is a message no audio output device is installed. I have tried everything and more than 200 website but i am not able to slove the problem. Even there is no icon of audio,video & games in device manager. I am having a sigma tel audio card. I have checked in Bios mode my audio card is properly installed.

Kindly help me out.

Pankaj Kumar, your Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook computer is NOT fully compatible with Windows 7 and there are NO Windows 7 specific Dell downloads available for it.

The only Sigmatel Audio driver you can use is the Sigmatel STAC AC97 Audio driver from the R99254.exe package.

You may have to run the R99254.exe file in "Windows XP Compatibility Mode" in Windows 7 for the drivers to install correctly. Or after running the R99254.exe file to extract the files to the \Dell\Drivers\R99254\ folder, cancel the Sigmatel Audio setup program, change the SETUP.EXE file's Properties from the \Dell\Drivers\R99254\ folder, click on Compatibility tab, check Run this program in compatibility for and choose Windows XP Service Pack 2, then click OK and finally run the SETUP.EXE file from the \Dell\Drivers\R99254\ folder to install the Sigmatel AC97 Audio drivers.

Also, run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor program to see if other components of the Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop can work in Windows 7.

Guest Pankaj Kumar

Pankaj Kumar, your Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook computer is NOT fully compatible with Windows 7 and there are NO Windows 7 specific Dell downloads available for it.

The only Sigmatel Audio driver you can use is the Sigmatel STAC AC97 Audio driver from the R99254.exe package.

You may have to run the R99254.exe file in "Windows XP Compatibility Mode" in Windows 7 for the drivers to install correctly. Or after running the R99254.exe file to extract the files to the \Dell\Drivers\R99254\ folder, cancel the Sigmatel Audio setup program, change the SETUP.EXE file's Properties from the \Dell\Drivers\R99254\ folder, click on Compatibility tab, check Run this program in compatibility for and choose Windows XP Service Pack 2, then click OK and finally run the SETUP.EXE file from the \Dell\Drivers\R99254\ folder to install the Sigmatel AC97 Audio drivers.

Also, run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor program to see if other components of the Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop can work in Windows 7.

I have switched to xp now, but still facing the same problem, In my Bios mode its is showing that my sytem have an Sigmatel 9751 audio card. But i am not able to detect it in my device mamager option.

Kindly help me out Plz

I have switched to xp now, but still facing the same problem, In my Bios mode its is showing that my sytem have an Sigmatel 9751 audio card. But i am not able to detect it in my device mamager option.

Kindly help me out Plz

what do you mean, Pankaj Kumar? does "Sigmatel C-Major Audio" show up in Device Manager in the "Sound, video and game controllers section?" or if it is there, does it show a yellow exclamation mark like this "!" - I use the Dell R99254 package to install the Sigmatel STAC 975x AC97 Audio drivers on my relative's Dell Latitude D410 laptop about a month ago and they worked. not sure what happened on your Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop.

check to see if the STAC97.SYS file is installed in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder. if it is NOT there, try running the R99254 package again. if that file is there, delete it and check the C:\Windows\Inf folder and look at any of the OEM*.INF files that mention "Sigmatel" on there (ex. oem1.inf, oem2.inf, etc). If you can't view hidden/system files & folders in Windows Explorer, please make sure that Explorer shows ALL files, including hidden and system files by accessing the Folder Options control panel dialog box and on the View tab make sure the option "Display the contents of system folders" is checked, make sure the option "Show hidden files and folders" is selected[/b] and the option "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" is UNchecked (click Yes to confirm not hiding protected OS files). then click OK to save changes. Use the F3 Search function in Windows Explorer and in the section that says "A word or phrase in the file" section, type STAC97, expand the More Advanced Options section and make sure the "Search system folders", "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search subfolders" options are selected and click on the Search button to search for any INF files that mention STAC97. If at least one INF file is displayed in the Search window, delete that INF file.

if none of what I mentioned above is getting your Sigmatel 9751 audio device to be detected in XP, please re-install the whole Windows XP operating system (by using your existing XP CD) and be sure to install WinXP Service Pack 3 afterwards. Then download & install the latest Intel chipset drivers for the Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop by running "infinst911autol.exe" with the -OVERALL switch > (save the infinst911autol.exe file into a folder like \My Documents\Downloads\, then run "infinst911autol.exe -OVERALL" to install the Intel chipset drivers) reboot laptop and then run the Dell R99254 package to install the Sigmatel AC97 Audio v5.10.4255 drivers.

hope this helps.

Edited by erp-ster7n