LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Optimus on Hybrid Graphics

Nautis1100

Well folks, I'm still at it with the 275.27 drivers and have not been successful.

Modified the inf file to include my hardware id... PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_1BC21043&REV_A2

After removing the old drivers, installing the intel drivers for the integrated card, and running drivesweeper... setup for the 275.27 runs fine using the .inf I modified.

However, after restarting I'm stuck in Standard VGA. Device Manager indicates that the 275 drivers are working properly for the 210M. Neither switching the performance type nor disabling the Intel card makes a difference. Also tried the NVIDIA Optimus Tools just to confirm I'm not running the NVIDIA GPU (I'm not).

Any ideas? Any direction would be very much appreciated.

** EDIT

Followed the same process for the 270 drivers, got them working fine. Reinstalled 275, booted up using F8 and disabled driver signing. Control Panel indicates the card is working properly, Optimus Tool indicates GPU is 'ON', but NVIDIA Control Panel won't start up, and definitely using the Intel GMA in Witcher 2. Very odd.

Edited by dorian_gray

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anytimer

• Idontknow12

• Nautis1100

• Madswk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well folks, I'm still at it with the 275.27 drivers and have not been successful.

Modified the inf file to include my hardware id... PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_1BC21043&REV_A2

After removing the old drivers, installing the intel drivers for the integrated card, and running drivesweeper... setup for the 275.27 runs fine using the .inf I modified.

However, after restarting I'm stuck in Standard VGA. Device Manager indicates that the 275 drivers are working properly for the 210M. Neither switching the performance type nor disabling the Intel card makes a difference. Also tried the NVIDIA Optimus Tools just to confirm I'm not running the NVIDIA GPU (I'm not).

Any ideas? Any direction would be very much appreciated.

** EDIT

Followed the same process for the 270 drivers, got them working fine. Reinstalled 275, booted up using F8 and disabled driver signing. Control Panel indicates the card is working properly, Optimus Tool indicates GPU is 'ON', but NVIDIA Control Panel won't start up, and definitely using the Intel GMA in Witcher 2. Very odd.

Try using another section number. Also, delete the other infs so that the installer has no choice but to use your modified inf.

no one else have the problem with the HDaudio driver?

no one else have the problem with the HDaudio driver?

Not me, but I've heard that sometimes it gets disabled during the install. Then you need to re-enable or remove it in device manager, then reinstall the driver.

solved

Edited by lida

Thanks for the reply anytimer!

I did eventually manage to get the 275 drivers working on my ULVT80. Steps...

1. Download the NVIDIA drivers directly from their site

2. Download the Intel GMA drivers

3. Find the hardware id specific to your video card

4. Open nvam.inf in the new NVIDIA package (after extracting it by starting then exiting their setup), in the last section find your video card

5. I removed any instances referring to my particular card that had trailing spaces (along the lines of your advice anytimer - I think this was indeed the issue)

6. With the one instance left, replaced the substring id with my own device's.. should be in two sections

7. Install the GMA drivers

8. Uninstall the old NVIDIA drivers

9. Run drivesweeper

10. Reboot

11. Install the new NVIDIA drivers

12. Reboot

13. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel - you need to specify within when to kick on the NVIDIA GPU

14. Should be good to go, you can download the NVIDIA Optimus Tools to ensure the GPU is working

Now - after all that, I'm sorry to report that even with my CPUs overclocked to 1.9 ghz each, my GPU overclocked to the brink of instability, and the new 275 drivers installed, Witcher 2 is unplayable. Still - interesting exercise.

4. Open nvam.inf in the new NVIDIA package (after extracting it by starting then exiting their setup), in the last section find your video card

5. I removed any instances referring to my particular card that had trailing spaces (along the lines of your advice anytimer - I think this was indeed the issue)

6. With the one instance left, replaced the substring id with my own device's.. should be in two sections

9. Run drivesweeper

10. Reboot

12. Reboot

13. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel - you need to specify within when to kick on the NVIDIA GPU

14. Should be good to go, you can download the NVIDIA Optimus Tools to ensure the GPU is working

Now - after all that, I'm sorry to report that even with my CPUs overclocked to 1.9 ghz each, my GPU overclocked to the brink of instability, and the new 275 drivers installed, Witcher 2 is unplayable. Still - interesting exercise.

Is Optimus working correctly for you? If so, can you post your nvam.inf?

Also, are you using the retail version of TW2? There are reports that the DRM actually slows down the game, and people have had performance boosts (mostly SLI people though) by replacing a few files with their GoG DRM-free equivalents. See here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344749

Also, what resolution are you playing at? On the 270 drivers without overclocking, I get about 14 fps @ 1280x720. It's perfectly playable @ 640x480, but looks horrendous. Oh well. I'm hoping that this is an optimization issue rather than a hardware one, and CDP Red will release an update that boosts performance in the future.

Congrats, dorian_gray. Well done. Can you update us on the results of your endeavours? Are the issues with Optimus like power consumption and HDMI still there?

OK. Installed latest nVidia 275.27 and Intel 2361 drivers. Surprisingly painless. :)

Power consumption: still higher than with hybrid drivers. Will test further to confirm.

HDMI: cannot test - no HDMI display device.

Ambient light sensor (for automatic brightness control) now totally non-functional. Even the keyboard is not lighting up when I cover the sensor with my finger.

No significant change in performance. Maybe these drivers will have more effect on newer hardware; perhaps my older hardware is already doing the best it can???

Some improvement in Windows Performance Index - Intel drivers showing performance boost - Aero score up from 4.6 to 5.1.

Edited by anytimer

Guest Someguy123

Try using another section number. Also, delete the other infs so that the installer has no choice but to use your modified inf.

I'm someone who is having the same problem, but I have some doubts. Is the section number unimportant? (as in, can I try any section?)

And deleting the other infs, you mean dele all the .inf files on Display.Driver but the modified nvam.inf?

I'm someone who is having the same problem, but I have some doubts. Is the section number unimportant? (as in, can I try any section?)

And deleting the other infs, you mean dele all the .inf files on Display.Driver but the modified nvam.inf?

The section number is very important - it tells the installer which files are to be installed on your system, and which features enabled. My point was, if it is not working, you might have got the section number wrong, so try to correct your mistake.

Yes, deleting the other infs is a good idea, but if you prefer, just go through each one and make sure that your device ID is not in there somewhere, otherwise the installer will use that inf instead of the one that you have modified.

Guest Someguy123

Alright, so now I'm finally able to report something.

I changed the section number my device was using this time (like anytimer mentioned above). I wasn't sure which number should be, I was using the same section that was used in the old official driver, but that was going nowhere. This time I looked which sections other devices that also have Geforce 310m were being used, and I used the same.

I was able to install the driver as before and I was finally able to open nvidia control panel. For some reason my nvidia GPU is only working on some programs like games or media players (I'm able to get CUDA working, which I couldn't before with the official drivers). But when just using Windows or Firefox my PC is still using Intel Graphics. I also noticed that nVidia control panel has way less options now than with the official drivers.

I suppose this is all because of the section number, since it was the only thing that I changed. So here is my question, how should I know which section to use? I tried searching this forum and even google, but I couldn't find a way to get it right.

Alright, so now I'm finally able to report something.

I changed the section number my device was using this time (like anytimer mentioned above). I wasn't sure which number should be, I was using the same section that was used in the old official driver, but that was going nowhere. This time I looked which sections other devices that also have Geforce 310m were being used, and I used the same.

I was able to install the driver as before and I was finally able to open nvidia control panel. For some reason my nvidia GPU is only working on some programs like games or media players (I'm able to get CUDA working, which I couldn't before with the official drivers). But when just using Windows or Firefox my PC is still using Intel Graphics. I also noticed that nVidia control panel has way less options now than with the official drivers.

I suppose this is all because of the section number, since it was the only thing that I changed. So here is my question, how should I know which section to use? I tried searching this forum and even google, but I couldn't find a way to get it right.

Look at the entries in the inf. The section numbers in the Win 7 x64 list [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] corresponding to 310M are 46, 48, 50, and 56 (look carefully - I might have missed some). Obviously, you need to be using one of these, but which one? The section numbers change with each release.

Look at the inf posted for the previous release of drivers that worked for you. Your hardware is supported there. Now see which other hardware is using the same section number. Look for this (other) hardware in the new inf and edit the entry for your hardware to use the same section number.

e.g. for my VPCZ1, I noticed from the previous release that my hardware (330M) is using the same section as NVIDIA_DEV.0CAF.08 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M ".

In the new inf, my hardware is not listed, but NVIDIA_DEV.0CAF.08 = "NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M " is, so I look up which section number that hardware is using in the new inf (057), and just use that. If you do the same for your hardware, I guess it will work for you too.

can someone confirm that ASUS UL80VT string IS

; 10DE.0A74.1AF2.1043 NVIDIA GeForce G210M Asus UL30/50/80VT

; 10DE.0A74.1BC2.1043 NVIDIA GeForce G210M Asus UL30/50/80VT

first, second or both??

Now running nvidia 275.33 WHQL and Intel 2361. Nothing special to report, except that this driver really is WHQL marked.

Now running nvidia 275.33 WHQL and Intel 2361. Nothing special to report, except that this driver really is WHQL marked.

Nothing to report as in the power consumption problem is fixed in these drivers on an hybrid platform?

Nothing to report as in the power consumption problem is fixed in these drivers on an hybrid platform?

Nothing to report as in no change in the status quo. Power consumption (while idle - reading MS Word doc) still approx 20W running on Intel HD Graphics and 16W running on GT 330M.

275332361.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nothing to report as in no change in the status quo. Power consumption (while idle - reading MS Word doc) still approx 20W running on Intel HD Graphics and 16W running on GT 330M.

275332361.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm trying to figure out how the power problem fixed itself last time - running GPU-Z did nothing - now trying disabling and re-enabling the GPU. Takes a while to get a decent estimate of power consumption, so don't hold your breath.

Anyone want to share a modified 275.33 nvam file for us poor, inexperienced folks? :) (preferably including the g210m as well)

Is Optimus working correctly for you? If so, can you post your nvam.inf?

Also, are you using the retail version of TW2? There are reports that the DRM actually slows down the game, and people have had performance boosts (mostly SLI people though) by replacing a few files with their GoG DRM-free equivalents. See here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=344749

Also, what resolution are you playing at? On the 270 drivers without overclocking, I get about 14 fps @ 1280x720. It's perfectly playable @ 640x480, but looks horrendous. Oh well. I'm hoping that this is an optimization issue rather than a hardware one, and CDP Red will release an update that boosts performance in the future.

Optimus is working fine. No issues with HDMI, running my tv like usual. I've attached my nvam.inf.

Yes, I downloaded the retail version of TW2 through Steam. Not certain what DRM is? I'll check out the link. I understand that the new 1.1 and 1.2 patches will potentially improve performance? THey're not downloadable via Steam yet however so I haven't been able to try.

My results are about the same... 640x480 runs ok but it looks horrible and the text is indiscernable... higher resolutions are too slow.

Regarding power consumption with Optimus, not certain how to check?

nvam.inf

Optimus is working fine. No issues with HDMI, running my tv like usual. I've attached my nvam.inf.

Yes, I downloaded the retail version of TW2 through Steam. Not certain what DRM is? I'll check out the link. I understand that the new 1.1 and 1.2 patches will potentially improve performance? THey're not downloadable via Steam yet however so I haven't been able to try.

My results are about the same... 640x480 runs ok but it looks horrible and the text is indiscernable... higher resolutions are too slow.

Regarding power consumption with Optimus, not certain how to check?

You don't have to worry about the drm anymore, the 1.1 patch fixed that.

Anyway, is that nvam for 275.33 or the older beta driver?

Seems to be: DriverVer = 05/13/2011, 8.17.12.7527

Guest splinterC3LL

BUMP... :)

Has anyone tried to make nvam for the latest driver (275.33) ???

Because, in the changelogs, it is said that :

-- The Release 275 beta driver v275.27 can cause significant performance drop in The Witcher 2 for users not running 3D Vision. This issue has been resolved in v275.33 drivers.

Thank you...

Guest splinterC3LL

9. Run drivesweeper

10. Reboot

12. Reboot

Hey, I have successfully installed 275.33 on UL80VT using dorian_gray's method... ( Thx dorian... :) )

But, I still rather don't understand...

I use this Optimus technology... So, does it mean that the Intel GMA and NVIDIA GPU running simultaneously ???

So, if there are no applications that is using the NVIDIA GPU, does it mean the one that is running is the Intel GMA or how???

Thank you.... :)

Hey, I have successfully installed 275.33 on UL80VT using dorian_gray's method... ( Thx dorian... :) )

But, I still rather don't understand...

I use this Optimus technology... So, does it mean that the Intel GMA and NVIDIA GPU running simultaneously ???

So, if there are no applications that is using the NVIDIA GPU, does it mean the one that is running is the Intel GMA or how???

Thank you.... :)

Run Optimus Tools. NvGPUStateViewer64.exe will tell you whether the nVidia GPU is ON. It is really quite remarkable - if you run 3DMark the tool indicates the GPU switching on at each test, and off during the period when one test ends and the next is being prepared.

Edited by anytimer