LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Optimus on Hybrid Graphics

Nautis1100

This did not work on my Asus UL80VT.

What is worse, when I tried to force the install of the drivers, I got blue screen, PC restarted and ... SURPRISE

my D:\ drive with all my data is missing completely ... s.it, f.ck!!!

I guess this is because of the workaround 3 from http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/24041-install-procedure-for-hybrid-graphics-x64/

So beware of this http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/index.php

I am now looking for some good tool to recover my partition and hopefully my data as System Restore in Windows 7 could not help...

I have attached an alpha 197.16 x64 Windows 7 INF. It may not work at first, if not please explain in detail what happened. Make sure to delete all existing INFs besides the attached one before installing.

EDIT: No more late night modding for me. I have corrected the above information for 197.16. This INF is for the new 197.16 drivers released not 197.13. Sorry for the confusion.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anytimer

• Idontknow12

• Nautis1100

• Madswk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This did not work on my Asus UL80VT.

What is worse, when I tried to force the install of the drivers, I got blue screen, PC restarted and ... SURPRISE

my D:\ drive with all my data is missing completely ... s.it, f.ck!!!

I guess this is because of the workaround 3 from http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/24041-install-procedure-for-hybrid-graphics-x64/

So beware of this http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/index.php

I am now looking for some good tool to recover my partition and hopefully my data as System Restore in Windows 7 could not help...

Eww.. Yeah I don't use ReadyDriverPlus as it is sort of a hack. If I am not mistaken it modifies your bootloader which is a scary prospect.

I suggest looking around for a possible fix. Here are other people having issues. I always recommend signing drivers manually or using a utility like DSEO. (Which would be workaround 3 in your post above.)

DSEO utilizes a built in test mode that windows has for developers testing drivers. Much safer than a bootloader hack IMHO.

Sorry to hear about your issue. The readydriverplus forums should help. Here is another link to the Issues post there.

EDIT:REMOVED INF

Changed name of inf vs old one. Make sure to remove the old one.

Fixed install issue.

Note: This does not include updatus install executable.

EDIT: VPCZ11 model Vaio Z users have been reporting that with this new INF the drivers install but are stuck in Intel mode (the nvidia gpu never seems to activate properly.) Round 3.

More confirmation on Optimus working on the M11x would be great.

So I've been testing the drivers on me M11x.

They install fine, and work great to a point... except that the nVidia card never powers down... so battery life is the same as when running on 'binary gfx' in nVidia mode... I have tested with 'nvidia' as prefferred and 'integrated' as preferred in games, and its obviously rendering through the intel / nvidia as its supposed to...

ok... what next :-) ?

J

post-43497-127020846859_thumb.pngpost-43497-127020848044_thumb.pngpost-43497-127020851469_thumb.png

So I've been testing the drivers on me M11x.

They install fine, and work great to a point... except that the nVidia card never powers down... so battery life is the same as when running on 'binary gfx' in nVidia mode... I have tested with 'nvidia' as prefferred and 'integrated' as preferred in games, and its obviously rendering through the intel / nvidia as its supposed to...

ok... what next :-) ?

J

post-43497-127020846859_thumb.pngpost-43497-127020848044_thumb.pngpost-43497-127020851469_thumb.png

Thanks jpskidmore, great screenshots and fantastic news. Is there any blank screen or long delays (30seconds to 1minute) when booting or restoring from sleep/hibernate?

Give me a little bit and I will put together a registry import of some different settings to try. (Sorry I have a ton of things I am working on right now.)

Thanks jpskidmore, great screenshots and fantastic news. Is there any blank screen or long delays (30seconds to 1minute) when booting or restoring from sleep/hibernate?

Give me a little bit and I will put together a registry import of some different settings to try. (Sorry I have a ton of things I am working on right now.)

Thanks for all your efforts with this Nautis... saw you posting on nbreview forum also...

Haven't noticed any delays or anything like that - in fact, apart from nVidia card being on all the time (and hence fan staying on, battery life pants etc), and the obvious 'optimus demo' overlay on games when discrete GPU is active, they seem to work perfectly...

J

First of all, please excuse me for my poor english, but I've noticed something important.

According to my Vaio VPCZ1 without any change (original factory default settings)and graphic Nvidia on:

Nombre Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

Id. de dispositivo PNP PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_905A104D&REV_02\3&11583659&0&10

Tipo de adaptador Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Core i7), compatible con NVIDIA

Descripción de adaptador Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD

RAM de adaptador 1,71 GB (1.840.158.720 bytes)

Controladores instalados igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32

Versión del controlador 8.16.11.8880

Archivo INF oem3.inf (sección iILKM0)

Esquema de color No disponible

Entradas de tabla de colores 4294967296

Resolución 1920 x 1080 x 59 hercios

Bits/píxel 32

Dirección de memoria 0xD1400000-0xD17FFFFF

Dirección de memoria 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF

Puerto E/S 0x00007078-0x0000707F

Canal IRQ IRQ 4294967294

Puerto E/S 0x000003B0-0x000003BB

Puerto E/S 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Dirección de memoria 0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Controlador c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.16.11.8880, 11,17 MB (11.711.592 bytes), 07/02/2010 1:11)

Nombre NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Id. de dispositivo PNP PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D&REV_A2\4&4CEFABD&0&0008

Tipo de adaptador GeForce GT 330M, compatible con NVIDIA

Descripción de adaptador NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

RAM de adaptador 1,00 GB (1.073.741.824 bytes)

Controladores instalados nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Versión del controlador 8.16.11.8880

Archivo INF oem3.inf (sección Section004)

Esquema de color No disponible

Entradas de tabla de colores No disponible

Resolución No disponible

Bits/píxel No disponible

The INF of grafic Intel is oem3.inf (sección iILKM0)and graphic Nvidia is the same INF, but (sección Section004).

The INF of Nvidia Optimus 189.42, and your mod not include the seccion iILKM0.

I think it's important, isn't it?

oem3.inf

I'm sorry. I've read other forums and I understand that Hybrid Graphics and Optimus are differents systems.

But I don't understand the advantages of Optimus ¿?

My problem is Sony drivers don't let me to select the scaling method, that I want to use. I've resolved the problem in Windows XP, I modified sony INF with Nvidia INF. Now I have full functionalities, including "Device Adjustments".

For Windows 7 x64, what would I need to modify in the sony INF (add/del)?

Thank you!

First of all, please excuse me for my poor english, but I've noticed something important.

The INF of grafic Intel is oem3.inf (sección iILKM0)and graphic Nvidia is the same INF, but (sección Section004).

The INF of Nvidia Optimus 189.42, and your mod not include the seccion iILKM0.

I think it's important, isn't it?

You are comparing Optimus to Hybrid Graphics and they are very different. What you are seeing is one of the biggest differences between the two. Hybrid Graphics requires both Intel and Nvidia drivers in a single package while Optimus does not. The missing section "iILKM0" that you mention is part of the Intel drivers.

Hybrid Graphics - Requires both Intel and Nvidia drivers install together in a single package. The reason for this is because Hybrid Graphics requires unique settings and files in order to work. The largest problem with this is that the drivers can only be released by your notebook manufacturer.

Optimus - A separate driver is installed for each device. Intel drivers are released by Intel and you can use the latest standard drivers for your specific GPU. Similarly Optimus drivers are released by Nvidia and only require newer drivers with Optimus support built in. Rumor has it most if not all future drivers will have Optimus support built in. This means that the company that produces each GPU will be supporting it with their own drivers.

I hope this explains things a bit better. I will be making a new post with further details on the differences between the two technologies and what makes Optimus so much better.

My problem is Sony drivers don't let me to select the scaling method, that I want to use. I've resolved the problem in Windows XP, I modified sony INF with Nvidia INF. Now I have full functionalities, including "Device Adjustments".

For Windows 7 x64, what would I need to modify in the sony INF (add/del)?

Unless it has been fixed recently the Nvidia drivers have a known problem with scaling on Windows 7. What you need to do is to change your desktop to a non-native resolution and then adjust the scaling settings.

Guest GNOMEL

Thank you very much for your answer.

Vaoi configuration detect my monitor like HDTV and don't let any change. With Windows XP I need to change manually the EDID and the scaling with (rundll32.exe NvCpl.dll,dtcfg setscaling 1 DB 1), but when I reboot, Vaio override all customs EDID's and reset scaling.

I resolved this trouble modifing parameters(nv_miscBase_addreg)original vaio INF, with standard Nvidia INF.

I want to do the same in Windows 7, but it isn't work....

Just wanted to post a picture taken by Fnord0 that I just helped get Optimus running on his M11x. The M11x currently still has a problem with not properly powering down the Nvidia GPU (worse battery life) and of course the overlay issue.

post-33792-127084467699_thumb.jpg

I hope this image is good enough proof for the nonbelievers.

--

I am currently working on a 197.41 for Optimus to see if it works.

Just wanted to post a picture taken by Fnord0 that I just helped get Optimus running on his M11x. The M11x currently still has a problem with not properly powering down the Nvidia GPU (worse battery life) and of course the overlay issue.

post-33792-127084467699_thumb.jpg

I hope this image is good enough proof for the nonbelievers.

--

I am currently working on a 197.41 for Optimus to see if it works.

Ok... so whats the next step with regard to the overlay, and/or the powering down issue.... I think the powering down problem is actually present in the official Dell drivers for the m11x (there are threads about 'fan issues' on nbreview forums that seem to relate to this)... but is there a reg setting or something to remove the overlay?

J

Guest namevergeben

I do own a M11x, too.

So what inf-file do I need to take?

What drivers Intel and nVidia do you use.

Can you please provide me with a bit more input about that?

Thx a lot

Andy

What I did:

1. activate both GPUs

2. uninstall of the Dell-Drivers by "uninstall Software" under Windows.

3. reboot

4. Installed Intel Driver namely: WinVista7_64_15173.exe

5. DLed 197.16_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international_whql.exe

6. used: nv_disp.inf

7. Extracted nVidia-Drivers by using 7zip.

8. Havn't found a inf called nv_disp.inf

9. renamed nvam.inf to OLDnvam.inf

10. remaned nv_disp.inf to nvam.inf within nVidis Drivers.

11. tried to install - after Install Win7 rebooted from itselve - havn't had that before ever.

It doesn't wor for me - what did I do wrong?

Help needed

Thx

Andy

Edited by namevergeben

Ok... so whats the next step with regard to the overlay, and/or the powering down issue.... I think the powering down problem is actually present in the official Dell drivers for the m11x (there are threads about 'fan issues' on nbreview forums that seem to relate to this)... but is there a reg setting or something to remove the overlay?

J

Sorry J been busy busy modding the standard Hybrid Graphics stuff and digging around more. The overlay seems like it may have something to do with the multiplexer. I have been told that connecting an external monitor causes the overlay not to show. Let me get together some new settings to try when I have access to my notebook again.

What I did:

1. activate both GPUs

2. uninstall of the Dell-Drivers by "uninstall Software" under Windows.

3. reboot

4. Installed Intel Driver namely: WinVista7_64_15173.exe

5. DLed 197.16_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_international_whql.exe

6. used: nv_disp.inf

7. Extracted nVidia-Drivers by using 7zip.

8. Havn't found a inf called nv_disp.inf

9. renamed nvam.inf to OLDnvam.inf

10. remaned nv_disp.inf to nvam.inf within nVidis Drivers.

11. tried to install - after Install Win7 rebooted from itselve - havn't had that before ever.

It doesn't wor for me - what did I do wrong?

Help needed

Thx

Andy

I am going to update the first post with better instructions when I have time. 197.16 currently will not work for Optimus I have edited the post above removing the inf that was causing confusion. Currently the only semi-working Optimus solution is in the very first post with 189.42. The modified inf link is at the bottom of the post. It contains both 32 and 64 bit infs. I consider Optimus on Hybrid Graphics notebooks still in the proof of concept phase.

I am going to update the first post with better instructions when I have time. 197.16 currently will not work for Optimus I have edited the post above removing the inf that was causing confusion. Currently the only semi-working Optimus solution is in the very first post with 189.42. The modified inf link is at the bottom of the post. It contains both 32 and 64 bit infs. I consider Optimus on Hybrid Graphics notebooks still in the proof of concept phase.

Sorry Nautis,

wasn't clear for me that only the 1st Post was for me :-) Hav read it all - and thought, that the last version should be mine ;-) Everytime the better for me *lol*

So will test tomorrow - no time yet.

Thx for you work!

Andy

Sorry Nautis,

wasn't clear for me that only the 1st Post was for me :-) Hav read it all - and thought, that the last version should be mine ;-) Everytime the better for me *lol*

So will test tomorrow - no time yet.

Thx for you work!

Andy

No worries namevergeben. I am sure my other post caused confusion and I should have removed it. :)

I hope to fix the overlay and power issues and get newer drivers working with Optimus.

Have tried to install yours..... not pleased with it.

1. uninstalled Dell-Drivers

2. reboot

3. installed Intel-HD Drivers (the one you linked in Post 1)

4. installed modded nVidia-Drivers - reboot while installing.

5. reboot - installed 2nd time .... M11x will have to takt that driver *grml* - drivers ar installed normally

can see in nVidia-ControllPanel the Info that I use Test-Drivers, both cards can be configured

When starting any application that uses 3D - the system locks up and reboots.

So I went back to Dell.....

Andy

BTW: Is the Dell advertised to be able to switch back and forth? or only to enable the faster Grafic?

I have a new Vaio VPCz1 and am installing the drivers as we speak. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your hard work!

-------

Okay, I followed the instructions and uninstalled the drivers etc. Intel drivers installed with no problem, but the Nvidia drivers hung initially. I rebooted and reinstalled them again. Now, I can get graphics up until I put in my windows password. Once i do that the screen goes black and I can't do anything. The only way to get into windows (and see the screen) is to go into safe mode.

How do I install the custom inf through the control panel? I went into the nvidia display adapter device in control panel and selected update driver and pointed it to where the inf was, but that doesn't seem to be working.

-------

I rebooted again normally, and got to the windows login screen and put in my password. When the screen went black I just walked away for a couple of minutes and then came back. Things seem to be fine now. I can see the nvidia control panel when I right click on the desktop, and the 3d does show the optimus text.

I suppose I should test 3d mark now?

---------------

I've realized that the black screen I have been experiencing is just the screen you guys had mentioned before.

Thanks

Justin

Edited by wisealma

Have tried to install yours..... not pleased with it.

1. uninstalled Dell-Drivers

2. reboot

3. installed Intel-HD Drivers (the one you linked in Post 1)

4. installed modded nVidia-Drivers - reboot while installing.

5. reboot - installed 2nd time .... M11x will have to takt that driver *grml* - drivers ar installed normally

can see in nVidia-ControllPanel the Info that I use Test-Drivers, both cards can be configured

When starting any application that uses 3D - the system locks up and reboots.

So I went back to Dell.....

Andy

BTW: Is the Dell advertised to be able to switch back and forth? or only to enable the faster Grafic?

Not sure what is happening there. I know of at least 5 people who have it working on their M11x now.

I have a new Vaio VPCz1 and am installing the drivers as we speak. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your hard work!

-------

Okay, I followed the instructions and uninstalled the drivers etc. Intel drivers installed with no problem, but the Nvidia drivers hung initially. I rebooted and reinstalled them again. Now, I can get graphics up until I put in my windows password. Once i do that the screen goes black and I can't do anything. The only way to get into windows (and see the screen) is to go into safe mode.

How do I install the custom inf through the control panel? I went into the nvidia display adapter device in control panel and selected update driver and pointed it to where the inf was, but that doesn't seem to be working.

-------

I rebooted again normally, and got to the windows login screen and put in my password. When the screen went black I just walked away for a couple of minutes and then came back. Things seem to be fine now. I can see the nvidia control panel when I right click on the desktop, and the 3d does show the optimus text.

I suppose I should test 3d mark now?

---------------

I've realized that the black screen I have been experiencing is just the screen you guys had mentioned before.

Thanks

Justin

Yeah the VPCZ11 has quite a large delay for some reason when it comes to booting or restoring from sleep/hibernate. Not sure why as the M11x and Asus UL do not have this issue.

---

There are currently to settings that I am a bit obsessed with.

DisableHybridMux

NvCplSetOptimusOverlayRegistry

For those of you who are testing Optimus on Hybrid Graphics and know what you are doing can you either manually set or import the following registry file and tell me what happens.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\nvlddmkm]
"DisableHybridMux"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NvCplSetOptimusOverlayRegistry"=dword:00000001

You can always copy what is in the code box and paste it to a text file. save the text file as optimus.reg and then run it. this will import it into your registry.

Be sure to check the control panel and things for new Optimus settings.

Not sure what is happening there. I know of at least 5 people who have it working on their M11x now.

Yeah the VPCZ11 has quite a large delay for some reason when it comes to booting or restoring from sleep/hibernate. Not sure why as the M11x and Asus UL do not have this issue.

---

There are currently to settings that I am a bit obsessed with.

DisableHybridMux

NvCplSetOptimusOverlayRegistry

For those of you who are testing Optimus on Hybrid Graphics and know what you are doing can you either manually set or import the following registry file and tell me what happens.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\nvlddmkm]
"DisableHybridMux"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
"NvCplSetOptimusOverlayRegistry"=dword:00000001

You can always copy what is in the code box and paste it to a text file. save the text file as optimus.reg and then run it. this will import it into your registry.

Be sure to check the control panel and things for new Optimus settings.

On the delay from sleep issue - I just "woke up" my laptop and I would say that the delay from sleep was less than 5 seconds. Pretty quick. (I had noticed it being longer yesterday - I didn't change anything).

Question - Are we all assuming that by using the optimus drivers etc that we will see an improved performance on the laptop (battery life)?

I'll test your registry file here in a moment.

Thanks - this is exciting stuff.

----------------------------

Edit

Okay, I just installed your registry file. The first thing I noticed is that the black screen delay got pushed back by a few seconds. Before installing the registry file when i would log into windows 7 I would put in my system password and hit enter, and the screen would go black immediately, and stay black for a few minutes. The screen would suddenly appear at my desktop and i could do things normally from there. Now, since having installed the registry file, I hit enter on the windows login screen, a few seconds go by... i can see the desktop and have time to even click on a thing or two before the screen goes black for a few minutes. At that point I can continue normal operation.

Edit

I have a attached a picture of my device manager. Everything looked normal except for two "portable devices" that appeared suddenly (or I didn't notice them before). The only thing I have connected to my laptop now is a logitech g35 gaming headset.

I also fired up steam and tried playing Modern Warfare 2. I don't know that the graphics card is being turned on like it should. The game was really laggy and almost unplayable. I had played this just fine with all settings cranked up before adding the optimus drivers and it ran perfectly. Maybe something to look at?

post-43635-127151026682_thumb.png

Edited by wisealma

Hi

Will this driver work on UL50VG version? (its G210M & intel 4500HD hybrid)

Do i have to sign in to some file my notebook model too?

Hi

Will this driver work on UL50VG version? (its G210M & intel 4500HD hybrid)

Do i have to sign in to some file my notebook model too?

It should work but not fully. There are currently two problems with it. The first is that it appears to not power down the Nvidia part fully (effecting battery life). THe second is the "Nvidia Confidential" text you see in the screenshots is always on when the Nvidia part is running.

It should work but not fully. There are currently two problems with it. The first is that it appears to not power down the Nvidia part fully (effecting battery life). THe second is the "Nvidia Confidential" text you see in the screenshots is always on when the Nvidia part is running.

It installs ok, and it works.

Power consumption 20W load 13W idle(battery saving mode) so kinda big.

:P

But keep up the good work :) maybe some day we'll have working optimus on those nb :)

EDIT:

On some youtube videos of optimus i saw nice nvidia app, showing if nvidia gpu or integrated one is used.. They call it nVidia test tool, but i cant fing it anywhere... maybe you know where can i get it from?

Edited by Darmach

• 3 weeks later...
Guest highfade

I'm new to this. Have a ASUS N61J and would like to start a game with the nvidia graphics so it will pick up on AA setting I've set in the control panel. At the moment it seems to start with the Intel graphics and use the nvidia later. Will this procedure fix that apart from the 2 problems?

Any progress on fixing the 2 problems with the text showing and the power not going down?

Thanks

Adriaan