LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Optimus on Hybrid Graphics

Nautis1100

And how does it works with powersaving on ULXX Asus ? What is idle on intel GPU power draw (according to battery bar for example)

10 to 13 watt on idle high preformance mode on my notebook UL80. See previous page for statistics by Madswk on UL50 which is more detailed. I'm not sure about how much mine takes on a hybrid.

Edited by Idontknow12

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anytimer

• Idontknow12

• Nautis1100

• Madswk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest poonjab2010

Flash fullscreen works on IE. Older drivers had it broken can't remember which ones but the last two INF's I posted worked fine for me. Once in a while there were funny issues where the GPU was still active until you closed the browser despite closing flash content (doesn't happen always happen and hard to reproduce). I noticed black screen issues on older drivers like the ones Nautis initially posted.

Yup, GPU does work in IE 9 running Flash 10.1 and 10.2 with 270.51 driver in full screen. But I also did notice the issue where the GPU stayed active after the browser was closed and the system seemed to slow a bit. It seems that I can get better performance for 1080p playback using Intel GMA with 266.58 driver i.e. 30 fps solid with very relatively few dropped frames compared to nVidia GPU which has lower FPS and higher drops with 270.51 driver at least w/rt youtube videos.

Went ahead and downgraded back to 266.58. Hopefully they will clean things up when 270.51 becomes official and maybe Adobe will release a update as well. Its just awesome to have accelerated graphics at all!

Yes it seems to be fixed :). Attaching an update INF for UL80 and UL50's. So no more patching needed and both DX and OpenGL have no overlay.nvam.inf

first thank alot for the inf.

I have a UL50VT but cant install the Nvidia 270.51 driver. I have to say that i already use a modded display driver with version 197

This is what i did:

I deinstall under "programs and function" the nvidia driver and reboot, but under device manager, i still see the intel driver:

http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/DWtLXmA7hf.png

Now i install the new intel driver and the system update the intel driver, windows required a reboot,

after reboot i try to install the nvidia driver (replace your inf file with the file under Display.Driver), but after checking the system compatibility, it says that there is no compatible display hardware: http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/jptKsSv5Br.png

By the way, i did clean all the nvidia entry with Driver sweeper.

Could you tell me, what i did wrong? Thanks alot.

John

oh forget to say that i use the intel and nvidia driver in German

Hmm interesting have you tried installing via device manager. It should via the installer another thing you can try is to remove both the nvidia and intel drivers (intel ones via device manager uninstall) and reboot. Then install the drivers like before. Can you also try an older INF which worked on UL50 here.

The INF is patched for the following ID's

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.01% = Section059, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_12A21043

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.02% = Section059, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_1AC21043

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.03% = Section059, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_1BC21043

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.04% = Section059, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_20371043

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.05% = Section059, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_20381043

Can you look up your information via device manager it should be under properties in the details tab. If you know how add an entry if not just post the information and I can update it.

Hmm interesting have you tried installing via device manager. It should via the installer another thing you can try is to remove both the nvidia and intel drivers (intel ones via device manager uninstall) and reboot. Then install the drivers like before. Can you also try an older INF which worked on UL50 here.

Can you look up your information via device manager it should be under properties in the details tab. If you know how add an entry if not just post the information and I can update it.

thanks for reply.

i did use the older inf file for 266.58 but get the same error message :-(

did you mean the hardware IDs and compatible IDs? i made screenshots from them:

http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/NtIij6LpM5.png

http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/flUkDgo9zT.png

hope that are the right information you need. Thanks in advance, John

thanks for reply.

i did use the older inf file for 266.58 but get the same error message :-(

did you mean the hardware IDs and compatible IDs? i made screenshots from them:

http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/NtIij6LpM5.png

http://www.imgbox.de/show/img/flUkDgo9zT.png

hope that are the right information you need. Thanks in advance, John

Yes, you should add those lines in the inf.

Edited by Madswk

The ID seems to be missing in the INF. Just alter the INF in the following way.

Add a line under the heading "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]"

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.02% = Section059, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_1AF21043

Instructions are for 270.51 for older drivers the section changes.

Edited by Idontknow12

Many, many thanks for your effort.

I changed the inf file this morning before going to work and installed the driver successfully! Many thanks again!

Didn’t have time to test a lot, but it seems to work propertly :-)

One question: does optimus means, that I haven’t to change the energy plans anymore? The driver will change the GPU automatically?

Again thanks.

John

Many, many thanks for your effort.

I changed the inf file this morning before going to work and installed the driver successfully! Many thanks again!

Didn’t have time to test a lot, but it seems to work propertly :-)

One question: does optimus means, that I haven’t to change the energy plans anymore? The driver will change the GPU automatically?

Again thanks.

John

On a optimus notebook this is typically true. YMMV hybrid notebooks have many different configurations but check your energy use / heat to figure out if your nvidia card is turning off. You can control which applications use the nvidia GPU via the control panel as well as enabling a context menu to launch individual applications on discrete or integrated. The optimus tool is also on the first page it will tell you if your nvidia GPU is in use. At the very worst case if it isn't turning off your nvidia GPU should be running at idle clocks. I'm not a 100% certain but based on power figures by Madswk here it is likely it is turning off at least on some notebooks.

Edited by Idontknow12

I have a UL80vt using original drivers. Could someone explain how to load these new drivers i.e. what files to download and the steps to do to install them.

Thank you

I have a UL80vt using original drivers. Could someone explain how to load these new drivers i.e. what files to download and the steps to do to install them.

Thank you

Follow instructions on first page remove hybrid drivers remember to reboot. When following instructions use 270.51 and place the INF from this post into the Display.Driver folder located

where ever you extract the nvidia driver. If you have any questions / issues please feel

free to ask.

On a optimus notebook this is typically true. YMMV hybrid notebooks have many different configurations but check your energy use / heat to figure out if your nvidia card is turning off. You can control which applications use the nvidia GPU via the control panel as well as enabling a context menu to launch individual applications on discrete or integrated. The optimus tool is also on the first page it will tell you if your nvidia GPU is in use. At the very worst case if it isn't turning off your nvidia GPU should be running at idle clocks. I'm not a 100% certain but based on power figures by Madswk here it is likely it is turning off at least on some notebooks.

so, after testing more than 2 day, i can confirm that optimus works. With the test tool, i can see then nvidia gpu is load and when it turns off. i set the acdsee grafic program to run with nvidia gpu and can see with the test tool, that when i start acdsee the nvidia gpu is on and when i close the program, the nvidia gpu is turn off. batterie life is also very good. so thanks alot again.

OK, I installed (thanks). Now, how can I tell if it is working? Are there sites to go to where the GPU will come on automatically (links).

Thanks

Guest schiu

I found another way to tell if Nvidia is on or off by going to the device manager. In the properties dialog there is a detail tab. Select power data from the drop down box and it tells u the current power state. D0 is on, D3 is off. I determined these values from known working hybrid drivers and then installed optimus drivers to see if Nvidia was really powered off.

OK, I installed (thanks). Now, how can I tell if it is working? Are there sites to go to where the GPU will come on automatically (links).

Thanks

Download the optimus tool on the first page. In the nvidia control panel check Desktop -> Run with graphics processor graphics menu. Run the optimus tool. Run chess by right clicking on Run with graphics processor -> High preformance. Optimus tool should say the nvidia GPU is in use. To make sure it turns off close chess. The optimus tool should say the nvidia GPU off. You can check the power state using the post before this one.

Edited by Idontknow12

I found another way to tell if Nvidia is on or off by going to the device manager. In the properties dialog there is a detail tab. Select power data from the drop down box and it tells u the current power state. D0 is on, D3 is off. I determined these values from known working hybrid drivers and then installed optimus drivers to see if Nvidia was really powered off.

Nice find so that confirms that its shutting off here. I doubt the driver would lie about its internal suspend state.

Hi guys, I've successfully installed the newer 270.51 drivers, but I've been getting random BSOD's.

I'm not even sure when it happens - it doesn't happen consistently (i.e. when I open a certain app or anything) so I can't pinpoint the cause.

Anyone else around here facing the same problem?

I'm using an Asus UL30Vt laptop.

Guest Belch'

Hi guys, I've successfully installed the newer 270.51 drivers, but I've been getting random BSOD's.

I'm not even sure when it happens - it doesn't happen consistently (i.e. when I open a certain app or anything) so I can't pinpoint the cause.

Can you post your hardware id for your nVidia card via device manager. Also use bluescreen viewer to list the details so we know which driver is causing it Intel or nVidia.

Edited by Idontknow12

Can you post your hardware id for your nVidia card via device manager. Also use bluescreen viewer to list the details so we know which driver is causing it Intel or nVidia.

Hardware ID for Nvidia G210M

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_1AF21043&REV_A2

Bluescreenview shows ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll as the cause of BSOD.

I've searched Google and it seems like it's usually related to driver issues. Do you need me to post any part of the BSOD up?

The two technical information part of the BSOD's:

For the hal.dll

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa8004f5f038, 0x00000000b2000040,

0x0000000000000800)

*** hal.dll - Address 0xfffff80003c11a3b base at 0xfffff80003bff000 DateStamp

0x4ce7c669

For the ntoskrnl.exe

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa8004d39038, 0x0000000000000000,

0x0000000000000000)

*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80003b0eaec base at 0xfffff8000365c000 DateStamp

0x4ce7951a

Hopefully that helps me and you.

Hardware ID for Nvidia G210M

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_1AF21043&REV_A2

Bluescreenview shows ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll as the cause of BSOD.

I've searched Google and it seems like it's usually related to driver issues. Do you need me to post any part of the BSOD up?

The two technical information part of the BSOD's:

For the hal.dll

For the ntoskrnl.exe

Hopefully that helps me and you.

Can you try re-installing the nVidia driver after uninstalling and using a driver cleaner. Also did you try older optimus on hybrid drivers were those stable. I wanted your hardware id to double check if UL30's needed anything special in hybrid drivers that was different I didn't notice anything. Also when these crashes happen are you typically using a web browser if so try disabling hardware acceleration in flash and see if that helps.

Guest Vithrell

I installed intel 2086 drivers succesfully, but when im trying to install nvidia 270.51 drivers with modded by Idontknow12 .inf installer report an error "required files are missing". Am I doing something wrong?

I installed intel 2086 drivers succesfully, but when im trying to install nvidia 270.51 drivers with modded by Idontknow12 .inf installer report an error "required files are missing". Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure your using the INF form here. I'm not sure what would cause required files are missing.