LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Optimus on Hybrid Graphics

Nautis1100

Guest William

i have a UL30VT, and download the latest 270.61 driver.

I have uninstalled the original Hybrid Driver by uninstalling the ‘Nvidia Drivers’ under the "Uninstall a program" in Control Panel.

The resolution become very low.

Without restart, i install the intel driver 2028, which is downloaded through http://wikidrivers.com/wiki/Intel_GMA_15.%E2%80%8B17.1.%E2%80%8B2086

The driver is successfully installed. Without restart, I install the latest 270.61 Driver with nvam.inf downloaded from post #182

It allowed me to install, but prompt Error (it didn't show any reasons) while installing the display driver.

Then I perform a restart, after which the resolution is back to normal. I tried install the 270.61 Driver again and this time it didn't allow me to install as it said it could not find a compatible hardware.

After all, I uninstalled the intel driver and use DriverSweeper to clean the computer. Reboot and install Intel. After Intel Driver installed, still it didn't allow me to install the 270.61 Driver as it said it could not find a compatible hardware.

I tried reading the previous post and added a line under the heading "[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]"

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.02% = Section059, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A74&SUBSYS_1AF21043" (I found the hardware id is something about

still it said it could not find a compatible hardware.

What should i do :)?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anytimer

• Idontknow12

• Nautis1100

• Madswk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest William

In "Device Manager":

Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

hardware id:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_1AF21043&REV_07

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_1AF21043

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&CC_0300

compatible id:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&REV_07

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42

PCI\VEN_8086&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0300

PCI\VEN_8086

PCI\CC_030000

PCI\CC_0300

Guest Hibernate

UL80VT-User here.

I wrote down everything I did, see below. I'm new to this, so be warned :) It seems to work so far. I have only the intel icon in the systray, but the g210m works (except for ff4?).

For 64-bit UL80-VT in Speed-Mode:

1. Download VERDE RELEASE 270.61 FOR NOTEBOOKS; 270.61-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

http://www.nvidia.de/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-270.61-whql-driver-de.html

2. Download Intel Intel GMA 15.?17.1.?2086 64-bit; WinVista7_64_15171.exe

3. Download nvam.inf from

4. Uninstall old Drivers using "nvidia drivers" in software management

Reboot

5. Install downloaded Intel Drivers (no reboot)

6. Start Nvidia Setup and cancel, when unpacked.

Copy nvam.inf in unpacked folder (Display.Driver)

Start Setup from folder (a warning pops up)

Reboot

Thanks to Idontknow12, I couldn't get any modified drivers to work before.

A little Update (sorry for double-posting, I can't edit my old one):

- desktop uses intel graphics (nvidia off) -> good

- hdmi-out works (nvidia gets automatically turned on/off) -> good

- games work (eventually choose "run with graphics processor -> nvidia" with right-click-menu) -> good

- video/mpchc acceleration works (nvidia gets automatically turned on/off) -> good

- firefox runs with intel (no 2d-acceleration, no webgl) -> good as default, but there should be some way to change that.

e: Youtube/flash crashes, you have to kill the plugin-container.exe. This seems to be a general problem with adobe's crappy flash code. Workaround: To disable 2d flash acceleration, right click on a flash screen, choose "settings" and uncheck "enable hardware acelleration".

I've tested this driver for half a day now and it not only has the new features since 19x.x, but also this optimus thingy, which seems to work flawlessly (+ no overlays :). This annoying bug which caused colors to get really bright when switching between nvidia/intel under some circumstances or when resuming from hibernate, also disappeared. Because of it, I barely used the battery saving mode in the past. Now it even switches automatically. I haven't measured power consumption so far, though.

Updating this thread's first post after some testing, would be a good idea.

e: Thanks to Nautis1100 as well, of course :)

Edited by Hibernate

Thanks Hibernate, I have successfully installed the optimus driver. I think the reason why I couldn't install it is because I hadn't reboot after uninstalling the original Nvidia driver.

I found after installing Intel driver and reboot, no matter how I uninstall the drivers and sweep those drivers, I can only find one device in "Device Manager" - Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I rolled back to my backup point and do it all over again. I then able to find two "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" after uninstalled the original Nvidia driver.

After testing the driver for a while, I have a little updates:

The tray tool showing GPU activity is a little bit laggy. It would be great if it can show the GPU state without point at it.

The flash plugin in Firefox will crash when switching GPU from OFF to ON. It works normally if the GPU is ON before loading the flash plugin. I set it to be run on Integrated GPU only to temporary solve the problem. The Flash HD movie playback is still smooth as Intel chip is doing its job to decode.

The plugin-container will then withhold the state of the GPU, no auto-switching when a flash movie has been loaded.

One question:

Can I force disable the Nvidia GPU if I am on battery? Or I can only set it every time in Nvidia Control Panel?

Edited by william123

Guest ModularMIx

Hi, I loaded the patched 270.61 on the Dell Vostro 3700. It works better than expected, but I noticed that there is a conflict. Windows 7 64X disables the Microsoft High Definition Audio-Contoller on PCI-bus 0. This is the Bus where the 4 NVDIA High Definition Audio devices are connected, and they disapear them selves.

The Microsoft High Definition Audio-Controller on PCI-bus 1 is active, as is the IDT High Definition Audio device.

I would kindly ask to DNSMO if you noticed any disabled System devices in the Device Manager.

Guest ModularMix

After further investigation of the recent discussions on the forum, I understand that it's a known issue of the HDMI not working properly. This would not bother me, but the game Napoleon Total War crashes when starting a battle. And it only does this when I am using the modified driver instead of the old Dell Hybrid Driver. I can live with that though, it is realy nice to see that we can use the NVIDIA drivers with Optimus support. Thank you anyways.

Hi, I loaded the patched 270.61 on the Dell Vostro 3700. It works better than expected, but I noticed that there is a conflict. Windows 7 64X disables the Microsoft High Definition Audio-Contoller on PCI-bus 0. This is the Bus where the 4 NVDIA High Definition Audio devices are connected, and they disapear them selves.

The Microsoft High Definition Audio-Controller on PCI-bus 1 is active, as is the IDT High Definition Audio device.

I would kindly ask to DNSMO if you noticed any disabled System devices in the Device Manager.

I just enable it then the 4 audio controller shows up and I don't use the hdmi so can't confirm whether it works or not.

confirmed that you need to re-enable the hdmi audio every time you want to use it i guess.

Edited by dnsmo

Another little Update for my UL80VT:

I could successfully update my Intel graphics driver via Windows Update. It was described as "'Intel Corporation Display software update released in February, 2011', Released: 2011-04-08", so it's probably equal to this one (15.17.16.64.2302).

Since I haven't installed it "from scratch", I can't say for sure if this works as well (but it should).

To avoid flash-related crashes without deactivating acceleration, you can also set e.g. firefox.exe's default graphics processor to intel.

Edited by Hibernate

Hi,

I've finally decided to give Optimus a try. Would appreciate some help though.

I tried the latest nvam.inf created by idontknow12. It said no compatible hardware found. So I edited the inf and put in the strings for my model, but now it is failing to install the graphics driver. Had a tough time getting back to the stock drivers - took a couple of reboots - but am now back on hybrid drivers.

Sony VAIO VPCZ115GG

strings:

HardwareID

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D&REV_A2

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&CC_0300

btw. the original nvam.inf doesn't have any entries for 330M, but a lot of the other infs do. Which inf do we need to mod?

EDIT: according to nvszc.inf should be the one to go for.

EDIT: Nope. That doesn't install the Optimus stuff. Driver installed, but stuck in Intel HD Graphics mode.

EDIT: Yee-haw! Working. Put entries for my GPU into nvam.inf (had screwed up the section number in previous attempt). GPU auto switching working fine.

Is there an easy way to force the laptop to stay in Nvidia mode? Some apps might not cope well with dynamic mode switching. Blankety-blank Autocad 2012 is giving me grief. Probably unrelated to Optimus, but I'd like to be sure.

Edited by anytimer

Guest jishi

Is there an easy way to force the laptop to stay in Nvidia mode? Some apps might not cope well with dynamic mode switching. Blankety-blank Autocad 2012 is giving me grief. Probably unrelated to Optimus, but I'd like to be sure.

You can force an application to use the GPU by rightclicking on the exe-file and choose "run with graphics processor..." or something like that (my stupid computer thought I wanted swedish on my drivers)

You can force an application to use the GPU by rightclicking on the exe-file and choose "run with graphics processor..." or something like that (my stupid computer thought I wanted swedish on my drivers)

For some applications I want it to stay in high performance mode until I tell it otherwise, just in case the switching is causing problems. In the method you suggest, the app starts off in Intel mode, and then the GPU is switched to nVidia behind its back, so to speak. The reverse happens when the app is closed, and some of the modules associated with that app might not have fully unloaded.

Or maybe some kind of a configurable delay? Switch the mode first, then launch the app, and on the other side switch back only when all modules of the app have unloaded. Sometimes I see a mode change while data is still being written to disk.

I suppose for troubleshooting purposes I could just disable the Intel adapter in device manager... or run another app alongside that will hold the state/mode.

Anyway, on the whole I am delighted with the working of Optimus on my VAIO. Seamless switching depending on the app being run. Somewhat impressed by the Windows Experience Index assessment tool - seems to get it right even if I'm running some other app in the background to hold the nVidia GPU in the ON state.

Processor: 6.8

Memory: 5.9

Graphics (aero): 4.6

Gaming graphics: 6.4

Primary hard disk: 5.9

The base score is lower than usual, but I know that is misleading - I have gaming horsepower when I need it. Real (previous) score is 5.9.

In the details, display adapter type always shows Intel.

Am I going nuts? Tried some power measurements. Both Battery Bar and Intel Application Energy Graphing tool show inverted readings from those expected.

Under IDLE conditions - laptop sitting there, doing nothing.

With Intel HD Graphics: 18W

With nVidia GT 330M: 12.6W

The graph takes about 3 minutes to level off. Have repeated the experiment several times; similar results. Can evryone try the same and post results?

What's going on? Intel Core i5 HD graphics idles less effectively (draws more power while in use but not doing much work), but turns off completely, while the nVidia GT 330M idles very well (draws less power while in use but not doing anything much), but still draws power when it is supposed to be off?

More info. Running with 270.61/2342 using modded inf.

With high performance mode selected; (nVidia test tool showing nVidia GPU ON), SIW (software information for Windows) reports:

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Performance Level Current

Core Clock 135 MHz

Shaders Clock 270 MHz

Memory Clock 135 MHz

Performance Level Default

Core Clock 135 MHz

Shaders Clock 270 MHz

Memory Clock 135 MHz

Performance Level 2D Desktop

Core Clock 405 MHz

Shaders Clock 810 MHz

Memory Clock 324 MHz

Performance Level 3D Applications

Core Clock 475 MHz

Shaders Clock 1045 MHz

Memory Clock 700 MHz

i.e. current performance level is system default = low power.

When the Intel graphics is selected, (nVidia test tool showing nVidia GPU OFF), SIW reports:

Performance Level Current

Core Clock 475 MHz

Shaders Clock 1045 MHz

Memory Clock 700 MHz

i.e. current performance level is 3D applications = high power.

Seems that while the nVidia GPU is supposedly off, it is stuck in high power mode. Note: you have to close and reopen SIW in order to get fresh readings.

Any thoughts, anyone? If the nVidia GPU could be made to sit at default performance level while it is not in use, I think we're in business.

EDIT: Nope. My bad. SIW takes a snapshot of GPU performance level. nVidia GPU takes several seconds (about 25 on my system) to change from high power state to low power state. GPU-Z cleared that up.

Edited by anytimer

OK. I'm not sure exactly what happened but the higher power consumption that I was observing earlier seems to have gone. Power consumption under idle conditions is now about 13W regardless of which GPU is currently in use. So now both are idling properly.

All I can think of is that I went into device manager and disabled the nVidia GPU for a while, ran some tests, and then re-enabled it.

I also installed GPU-Z. Could that have had something to do with it?

Edited by anytimer

OK. I'm not sure exactly what happened but the higher power consumption that I was observing earlier seems to have gone. Power consumption under idle conditions is now about 13W regardless of which GPU is currently in use. So now both are idling properly.

All I can think of is that I went into device manager and disabled the nVidia GPU for a while, ran some tests, and then re-enabled it.

I also installed GPU-Z. Could that have had something to do with it?

Running GPU-Z causes the nvidia GPU to be in the idle state it constantly checks the temprature and other data(there are other programs which can also cause this mainly hardware monitoring utilities)

quick recap

1. the overlay issue is gone. I went straight from hybrid drivers to standard VGA to 270.61 Optimus, and I never saw the overlay message at all. The newer drivers don't seem to have this issue.

2. the auto brightness thing doesn't work. Covering the sensor causes the keyboard to light up, but display stays unchanged.

3. people have reported issues with HDMI. I have no way of checking that.

4. I have a wierd issue with certain programs. SIW (software information for Windows) is showing incorrect information in some places. 3DMark11 refuses to run - says I don't have DirectX11 capable hardware, only 10.1; GPU-Z agrees, says DirectX support 10.1/ SM4.1, although dxdiag says DirectX 11 is installed (both 32bit and 64bit versions) and reports no problems, but only sees Intel HD Graphics. AutoCAD 2012 Architect gives HEIDI loading error, also says I have 2613 MB video memory, but that is the shared memory used by Intel HD Graphics (the GT 330M has 1GB).

5. 3DVision is not enabled in nVidia CP. Seems to be a laptop display issue - people say it gets enabled when an external monitor is connected and set as primary. nVidia say it is at the request of the laptop vendors who don't want the panel displays to be overstressed.

Other stuff seems fine. If you read my previous posts in this thread, I had a problem with power consumption which seems to have got fixed by disabling and re-enabling the 330M. Or by installing GPU-Z! I'll know when I reinstall everything next time.

Edited by anytimer

Guest Guest

I've been having problems with random blue screens. I think I have determined that this is related to power4gear. I removed the old version I had delivered with my UL30VT and I experienced no blue screens for several days. I was just using the default windows 7 power profiles.

I tried to install a newer version in case it would help my battery life and immediately started getting blue screens/reboots. I have uninstalled it again and hopefully this problem goes away.

Guest Gates007

Hi, would it be possible for someone to mod and attach a 32bit INF file for 270.61 UL30-VT. I have win7. I tried reading the instruction and tried the nvam.inf in post #182 but it gives me a files missing error. I suspect it is because the file is for 64 bit and I have a 32 bit win7. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, would it be possible for someone to mod and attach a 32bit INF file for 270.61 UL30-VT. I have win7. I tried reading the instruction and tried the nvam.inf in post #182 but it gives me a files missing error. I suspect it is because the file is for 64 bit and I have a 32 bit win7. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried the instructions in this thread about how to add your device information to the inf?

quick recap

1. the overlay issue is gone. I went straight from hybrid drivers to standard VGA to 270.61 Optimus, and I never saw the overlay message at all. The newer drivers don't seem to have this issue.

2. the auto brightness thing doesn't work. Covering the sensor causes the keyboard to light up, but display stays unchanged.

3. people have reported issues with HDMI. I have no way of checking that.

4. I have a wierd issue with certain programs. SIW (software information for Windows) is showing incorrect information in some places. 3DMark11 refuses to run - says I don't have DirectX11 capable hardware, only 10.1; GPU-Z agrees, says DirectX support 10.1/ SM4.1, although dxdiag says DirectX 11 is installed (both 32bit and 64bit versions) and reports no problems, but only sees Intel HD Graphics. AutoCAD 2012 Architect gives HEIDI loading error, also says I have 2613 MB video memory, but that is the shared memory used by Intel HD Graphics (the GT 330M has 1GB).

5. 3DVision is not enabled in nVidia CP. Seems to be a laptop display issue - people say it gets enabled when an external monitor is connected and set as primary. nVidia say it is at the request of the laptop vendors who don't want the panel displays to be overstressed.

Other stuff seems fine. If you read my previous posts in this thread, I had a problem with power consumption which seems to have got fixed by disabling and re-enabling the 330M. Or by installing GPU-Z! I'll know when I reinstall everything next time.

Power consumption is still an issue with Optimus on hybrid graphics, at least on my VAIO. The lowest I was able to get with Optimus drivers was 12W, whereas the hybrid graphics drivers modded by Andrew08 restored the normal behaviour, about 6W during idle conditions, giving the 5 and 1/2 hrs battery life that this laptop was originally capable of. This had come down to 2 hrs 41 minutes with Optimus drivers.

Guest Ozone

Power consumption is still an issue with Optimus on hybrid graphics, at least on my VAIO. The lowest I was able to get with Optimus drivers was 12W, whereas the hybrid graphics drivers modded by Andrew08 restored the normal behaviour, about 6W during idle conditions, giving the 5 and 1/2 hrs battery life that this laptop was originally capable of. This had come down to 2 hrs 41 minutes with Optimus drivers.

Hi Anytimer, I have the same notebook like yours. my questions to you are:

1. did you install the hybrid drive first then override it with the new ones?

2. if you install after the uninstall hybrid driver, did you install intel driver from intel first? for the nvidia optimus 270.61 did you changed only nvam.inf? cna you share yours?

3. did your notebook get over heated? during full performance what was your notebook temp? i am running cad/cam/cae software and using hybrid graphics 263/2266, my notebook gets hotter in a while and the side fan was blowing out lots of heat.

4. any resolutions for HDMI to work on HDTV?

thank you for your sharing information with us.

cheers,