LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Optimus on Hybrid Graphics

Nautis1100

how do you guys know the nvidia is not powering off properly?

optimus.jpg

edit:

i am using new vaio z (vpcz1)

Edited by Andrew08

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anytimer

• Idontknow12

• Nautis1100

• Madswk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Luca84

Hi

I need help. I got a Asus U30jc for about a week and I never could make Nvidia GF 310M running I got a code 43 on the device manager. I already downgraded and upgraded and nada! If I disable Intel HD Graphics the Code 43 is gone from the 310m and it looks like its OK but I dont have access to the Nvidia CP and in fact it does not work.

At the moment I got this divers: Asus Bios driver 210, Intel® HD Graphics Diver 8.15.10.2182, Nvidia GF 310M Driver 8.17.12.5896. 310M Hardware ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A72&SUBSYS_13321043 . OS Windows 7 x64.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

• 3 months later...

Any further activity in this direction? It is a most interesting project.

Hi, i have a Acer Aspire 4741G with Geforce GT42M graphic card.. There is a 3d overlay massage dispalying on the screen when ever i play a game or watching movies.. the massage is "optimus demonstration nvidia confidential not for release or distribution". does any one know how to remove that massage from the scree??

Hi, i have a Acer Aspire 4741G with Geforce GT42M graphic card.. There is a 3d overlay massage dispalying on the screen when ever i play a game or watching movies.. the massage is "optimus demonstration nvidia confidential not for release or distribution". does any one know how to remove that massage from the scree??

AFAIK that message only goes away if your laptop is licensed (with nVidia) to use the Optimus technology. Most people interested in this thread are forcing their hybrid graphics laptops to use Optimus, so I guess we're stuck with this message until someone figures out how to crack the drivers themselves to get rid of the message.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I find the latest / best Nvidia drivers for my netbook?

Nvidia official site or others?

My device is ASUS 1215N with Optimus

• 1 month later...

Here is a way to remove the "nvidia confidential" overlay from the Sony vaio Z optimus thread in notebookreview forum:

Optimus_watermark-off: workaround to hide the NVidia Confidential watermark on non-certified solutions

I was playing Dirt2 using the Optimus internal LCD and really wanted the watermark to disappear. So while dirt2 was running' date=' I alt-tabbed back to the desktop, fired up the HXD editor with the unique feature of being able to do in-memory editting. I selected Extras->Open RAM, opened dirt2_game.exe and searched for "NVidia Confidential", finding it exists as follows:

Offset(h) 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F

12D75F20                       4F 50 54 69 4D 55 53 20 44         OPTiMUS D
12D75F30  45 4D 4F 4E 53 54 52 41 54 69 4F 4E 0A 4E 56 69  EMONSTRATiON.NVi
12D75F40  44 69 41 20 43 4F 4E 46 69 44 45 4E 54 69 41 4C  DiA CONFiDENTiAL
12D75F50  0A 4E 4F 54 20 46 4F 52 20 52 45 4C 45 41 53 45  .NOT FOR RELEASE
12D75F60  20 4F 52 20 44 69 53 54 52 69 42 55 54 69 4F 4E   OR DiSTRiBUTiON

I overwrote the string with zeroes, did a save and voila, the watermark disappeared. Confirmation pics below:

dirt2optmsgon.th.jpg dirt2optmsgoff.th.jpg

This worked well with Dirt2 which continues to run in the background when I ALT-TAB. I confirmed this solution also worked for FFXIV and NFS Shift when run in windowed mode. I could TAB in and out of the game as much as I wanted.

This did not work for MafiaII unless I changed it to run in Windowed mode, ALT-TAB out, make the edit then ALT-TAB back to MafiaII. The watermark remained disabled if MafiaII was then changed back to fullscreen mode. However if I tabbed out of MafiaII then tabbed back in, the watermark was back. If the windowed mode was maintained then I could tab out and in to MafiaII without the watermark present.

A small background app as a tidier solution?

Since nobody has been able to find and edit out that NVidia Confidential string in the driver, perhaps someone can write a background app like FRAPS that accepts a hotkey (ALT-N?) , searches for that string in the current app running in the foreground and deletes the string from it's memory? This would mean too that there would be no need to make the offending app run in windowed app, alt-tab out, edit, then alt-tab back in.

EDIT: Likely need a game trainer/cheat maker like "Memory Hacking Software" (MHS) which does in-memory editting for an automated solution. The MHS author replied to my query on how to automate this:

Anybody want to create some scripts to do this?

Hi Everyone,

This is workaround for the optimus watermark, this is a more permanent fix the package below contains 32-bit and 64-bit DLL's that you will have to install manually. You can choose to either patch an application using the same method or you can patch the usermode nVidia D3D driver. The DLL's pretty much search memory of the launched application and add a null terminator at the start of the optimus text instead however this process is run each time a thread is started(based on when the last attempt to do this was more then 1 second away). There is no code injection involved and it only touches the string that is displayed so hopefully it should be safer (however it has been tested only on a few games / applications so proceed at your own risk). It has been tested on games / applications using patched nvd3dumx.dll (other method may be less effective but should work in theory)

Steps for installing (for 32-bit only patch listed for SysWOW64 but they will be in system32):

NOTE: For a permenant fix (this means the text disappears in less then a second...patch the following files (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvd3dum.dll,C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvwgf2um.dll, C:\Windows\System32\nvd3dumx.dll, and C:\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll)

1) Backup which ever file you are patching

2) Get CFF explorer (this tool allows you to modify the import table of a DLL which is why it will be used)

3) Start CFF explorer and open the file you want to patch

4) Go to the the import adder

5) Click add and select the OptimisFixer.dll (after extracting zip file below) based on if its 32-bit or 64-bit (DLL or application)

6) Select any function in exported functions and click import by name

7) Click rebuild import table

8) Save the file and replace the original. Also copy the matching OptimusFixer.dll into the same folder.

If you get an error about missing msvc100.dll install MS VC++ 2010 Runtime

Known Issues:

- OpenGL applications still have the overlay (method by nando64 is not applicable)

Potential Issues:

- Worse loading times in some games(if some one notices this please tell me)

Resolved Issues:

- MSI Kombustor and other applications no longer crashes the DLL detaches properly

- Updated patching directions to include 2 more files since some games also need those patched.

- After patching the optimus text the active window is updated (useful for WPF applications which don't repaint entire window etc..)

Uninstall Directions

- Restore your orignal backup of the files or if you patched the driver reinstalling will restore back the original.

Freeback is welcome.

PS: Just want to add if anything goes wrong safe mode should always be fine since the driver will not be loaded so a reinstall / restore of backup should be possible but even during development this wasn't really necessary.

Idontknow12

Optimus Overlay Workaround 1.1.zip

Edited by Idontknow12

This is workaround for the optimus watermark, this is a more permanent fix the package below contains 32-bit and 64-bit DLL's that you will have to install manually.

Great work! However, I've gone through the process three times and the package simply does nothing with my pached nv3dumx.dll. This was tested with 3dmark06, MafiaII and Dirt2. I even rebooted my system to ensure the patched version was the only version at work.

I'm running Win7 64-bit + Verde 266.58 drivers. Worth noting your package needs to be decompressed twice to get the "DLL patches" directory and contents visible. Some may get stuck at that point.

Great work! However, I've gone through the process three times and the package simply does nothing with my pached nv3dumx.dll. This was tested with 3dmark06, MafiaII and Dirt2. I even rebooted my system to ensure the patched version was the only version at work.

I'm running Win7 64-bit + Verde 266.58 drivers. Worth noting your package needs to be decompressed twice to get the "DLL patches" directory and contents visible. Some may get stuck at that point.

Remember to patch nv3dum.dll in syswow64. nv3dumx.dll is only for 64-bit applications so you should see it removed in Chess under Windows 7 and Vista. If you patched the 32-bit version then there might be a timing hole since its still a hacky / unclean approach.

Remember to patch nv3dum.dll in syswow64. nv3dumx.dll is only for 64-bit applications so you should see it removed in Chess under Windows 7 and Vista. If you patched the 32-bit version then there might be a timing hole since its still a hacky / unclean approach.

OK - that fixed it.

I then got a message about a missing msvcr100.dll. So I downloaded it and copied it to sysWO64. The fix works great with 3dmark06, Dirt2, MafiaII, NFS Shift, NFS MW. Finally no more watermark :)

Great work there Idontknow12.

OK - that fixed it.

I then got a message about a missing msvcr100.dll. So I downloaded it and copied it to sysWO64. The fix works great with 3dmark06, Dirt2, MafiaII, NFS Shift, NFS MW. Finally no more watermark :)

Great work there Idontknow12.

Updated directions and files above to fix bugs. Older version could potentially cause crashes in some games / applications and added additional safety checks. Patching directions were updated to include additional files since if they are not patched some games may still show an overlay.

Guest nando4

Updated directions and files above to fix bugs. Older version could potentially cause crashes in some games / applications and added additional safety checks. Patching directions were updated to include additional files since if they are not patched some games may still show an overlay.

Can you please include the updated Optimus_fix.zip in your post above?

Can you please include the updated Optimus_fix.zip in your post above?

Sorry about that its attached now.

Guest nando4

Sorry about that its attached now.

I had to also copy the 32-bit/*/64-bit OptimisFixer.dll into Windows\SysWOW64/*/Windows\system32 else would receive a "OptimisFixer.dll" not found error message. Otherwise this release works great :)

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is an INF for 266.58 modded to add support for UL80/UL30 for those that want to try this out again. Install in same order as instructions on first page. Install Optimus Overlay workaround from this post to get rid of overlay. I have only tested on UL80VT but UL30 should also work.

If you want to MOD in your notebook follow instructions on first page but instead of:

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.01% = Section070, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D 

it should be for the latest drivers:

%NVIDIA_DEV.0A2B.01% = Section056, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A2B&SUBSYS_905A104D

nvam.inf

Thanks Idontknow12 new 266.58 modded inf.

Installed on UL80VT it works fine except the GPU-Z shows the CUDA not working.

Is it possible to get back the CUDA and crack PhysX etc?

Wish the perfect Optimus driver on UL3/5/80VT will come soon.

Thanks Idontknow12 new 266.58 modded inf.

Installed on UL80VT it works fine except the GPU-Z shows the CUDA not working.

Is it possible to get back the CUDA and crack PhysX etc?

Wish the perfect Optimus driver on UL3/5/80VT will come soon.

GPU-Z seems to show CUDA as missing but it still works at least on a few test's I have tried. PhysX seems broken not sure why at the very least when I tried fluidmark.

Hi sorry i've been looking for a solution for my GT 540m. Basically whenever i try to run a couple games like GTA 4, it only detects my intel graphics card and not my gpu. Is there an available workaround for this? Its def optimus thats bugging up.

Guest Sathai

Hi i run Windows 7 64Bit an an Asus UL80-VT GF 210m Hybrid,

i installed the 266.58 and the intel HD driver, it works fine.

Only Problem is i cant get rid of the Watermarks from Optimus.

I followed the insturctions for the optimus workaround but i seem to do sth wrong,

i also can find a nv3dum.dll or nv3dumx.dll file in my windows system32 or SysWOW64 folder.

Any advice would be very helpfull

thx

Sathai

I can confirm that the custom inf works on my Ul50Vt. Thanks