LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

zipper

Hey Zipper :) ... first off I want to say THANKS for this thread. I have an ASUS G51v with the GTX 260M card on Win7 x64 Pro, and your benchmarks are a good jumping off point for me to find my perfect driver. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to share your modded INF for 263.14 ... I am fixing to try it myself cause it looks pretty easy, but I would love to have a *verified* working one (or atleast verified for your system since it's close to mine). I have been having a time getting some of these drivers to work right (no CP on some, others just don't load, and some work fine) and I know why ... I need to do a clean install haha. Only reason I don't do that now is b/c of time/backup concerns, plus I'm a linux guy and my Ubuntu installs still <3 me, so I'm not on Windows a whole lot. I do a lot of programing/tweaking/pc repair so there is no telling what I have done to my install haha, and I'm getting *real* tired of manual registry cleaning the bits of driver that don't get uninstalled by driver cleaner/sweeper. Anyways .. like I said, I'm sure I will fix my own INF before you even see this, but I would like to have a backup if you still have it/don't mind.

Thanks!

*** Nevermind, found this site: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=171843 and it is all anyone would ever need to know about INF modding to make your card detected. No need for a copy to verify my work against now ***

Edited by Fluffhead

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zipper

• tribaljet

• Takezo

• Aura

Top Posters In This Topic

270.51 notebook beta tried with the original inf. Seems to be direct descendant to 270.28 as the performance is as crappy and OpenCL is missing.

• 3 weeks later...

270.51 notebook beta tried with the original inf. Seems to be direct descendant to 270.28 as the performance is as crappy and OpenCL is missing.

Exactly same comments for 270.61 WHQL driver.

Exactly same comments for 270.61 WHQL driver.

I agree perf is poor on new series :) .

Clearly pre 4.xx cards do suffer lowered performance with the latest drivers - time to upgrade...

Clearly pre 4.xx cards do suffer lowered performance with the latest drivers - time to upgrade...

When I said new series I meant 27x not the gpu series :)

I know I must upgrade to for win8, but is it worth it yet when console ports are becoming popular?

Take Crysis 2 for an example or other games when pcs suffer from poor coding .

Currently I use 266.87 as it seems to be the best option for my laptop now, it seems stable with OC too unlike new drivers(also w/ broken OpenCl?).

Edited by Night Wing

When I said new series I meant 27x not the gpu series :)

Yes, got it but I meant we are on the same boat as your card is about 4 years old and mine is 2 years old. Either is not too well supported anymore suffering from diminished performance with the latest drivers. That's what always seems to happen, seen it on all of my past laptops.

Yes, got it but I meant we are on the same boat as your card is about 4 years old and mine is 2 years old. Either is not too well supported anymore suffering from diminished performance with the latest drivers. That's what always seems to happen, seen it on all of my past laptops.

Oh sorry then. An upgrade is something i really want, but all i play if BF2 and use media apps or youtube, so my card is still good for those tasks. It's also hard to choose a new laptop with new cpus/gpus coming out every 2 months, everything is obsolete before it's released. I really want a netbook but will wait for stronger ones first.

Edited by Night Wing

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Zipper, how are you finding the latest NVidia Beta Notebook driver? (275.27)

I know you've been a bit down on the latest drivers since about 263.09, saying that they don't give good performance for the previous architecture of cards (pre 4xx series cards). I've been with you too on that philosophy, but I think NVidia may have turned it around on this latest driver release. I'm seeing really smooth performance with the latest notebook driver (275.27), and I've got a card from a previous architecture too (heavily overclocked 8600M GT). I'm seeing better performance in CPU limited titles like Crysis 2 and F1 2010, in both those games my CPU utilisation has been near 100%. In the release notes for driver 275.27 it says that with dual cores you may expect up to 12% better performance in CPU limited games, so maybe that's why I'm seeing smoother performance with 275.27 given I've got a dual core. Not sure if you've got a dual core, but how are you finding these latest drivers?

Rob

(P.S. 3DMark06 results are the highest I've seen, but only by a few points, certainly not any lower than the best drivers I've tested in the past).

P.P.S. I've noticed that my CPU usage on those CPU intensive games seems to be just a little lower than compared with the previous drivers, maybe that's where NVidia gets their increased performance from in CPU limited titles, maybe the latest drivers don't place so much of a processing overhead on the CPU? Pure conjecture on my part though!!

Edited by Robbo the Second

Hey Zipper, how are you finding the latest NVidia Beta Notebook driver? (275.27)

Tried it now, no problems found (except some mysterious blue screens which had to be fixed by going to "last working") - no idea which software was the culprit. Dx 9 and Dx 10 speeds are decent, older benchmarks not so good. But I can keep this so far - better than 270.xx

Now tried 275.33 WHQL and wonder what they've done as it's clearly worse than 275.27 beta. OpenCL is missing re GPU-Z.

• 3 weeks later...

275.50 beta tried - this sucks really, vastly slower than 275.27; going back. And OpenCL still missing.

What is up with the newer drivers... The performance seems way lower than the "older" ones...

Keep up the good work! Thanks!

Thar's normal for old hardware, they concentrate to enhance drivers for 4.xx and 5.xx cards. But part of the "honour" goes to MS, sp1 for Win7 did clearly cut down the performance.

I was wondering if you could run the tests for 186.81 driver purely for comparison purposes. That driver still remains very popular among GTX 260M users to this day even though it's pretty dated.

Double whammy - 186.81 for comparison and 268.51; neither is too good but about as good as the latest NVidia offerings.

Guest Night_Wing

To lazy to sign in right now, but I'm sticking with 275.27. It seems to be the best for my 8600M Gt too, I'm still wondering why OpenCl is still broken after so many releases...

• 2 weeks later...

275.65 Quadro driver tried - I added my card to the original inf. At last a good recent driver, worth trying. Nothing negative to say so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Now 280.19 beta, added my card to the inf. Very promising, a hair faster still than 275.65. No problems so far.

• 2 weeks later...

280.26 WHQL - what a disappointment, it's clearly slower than .19 beta, about 4%. No other problems.

• 1 month later...

Zipper, how are you?

First I'd want to thank you for the GTX260M driver benchmark thread, it helped me a lot to decide which driver to choose. I used to use the DOX 185.85 driver, but after some time I decided to change it for another one.

I'd like to ask you what's the current driver you're using. By your last posts I'd say it's 263.14 or 266.87.

Thanks a lot again

As my gaming has been minuscule lately, I kept that 280.26 so far. Probably I should keep 280.19 if good performance needed.

As my gaming has been minuscule lately, I kept that 280.26 so far. Probably I should keep 280.19 if good performance needed.

Got it. But what about gaming? Would you recommend which driver?

I am trying some drivers here on my laptop that got the best results on your benchmark, but unfortunately the brightness control on many of the newer ones doesn't work. Did you pass through this on them?

Thanks for the response.

Usually the latest with good benchmarks is recommended as some bugs may have been removed. The controls may be vendor spesific so the best chance to have them working is to have a driver with an inf for your hardware - Gateway is probably using nvgm.inf. The second best chance is a WHQL inf - the latest 280.36 claim that some Sony and Fujitsu and hybrid notebooks aren't supported. My brightness controls seem to work with 280.26.

Unfortunately Gateway seems not be in the infs list in 280.26 so there is probably no Gateway specific tricks in the driver - lets hope that common features included are enough.

Didn't know that the notebook models had a specific inf, thought only the GPU models had to be included.

Do you know any other solution?

Also, I'm trying to download the 263.14 driver but I don't know where to find a working one. Looked in the forum and did a little search at google with no success.

Thanks a lot for the help zipper.