• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zipper

• tribaljet

• Takezo

• Aura

Top Posters In This Topic

Now tried 280.47 developer driver with modified inf. No problems, quite good with DX 10 and 9, older benchies not so good. Loses a little to 280.19. Screen seems darker.

285.27 beta tried - problematic and bad performer like 280.26. Binned instantly.

Did you try 280.19?

I didn't. I just saw now the benchmark and it went pretty well, but it seems that it loses to a bunch of drivers at 3DMarkVant, but it still got a nice score.

Do you recommend it?

It's one of the best. Don't look too far back in the benchmarks, Win7 sp1 did affect the benchmarks somewhat negatively, especially Vantage.

It's one of the best. Don't look too far back in the benchmarks, Win7 sp1 did affect the benchmarks somewhat negatively, especially Vantage.

Didn't know about this. Thanks for the tip. Would you know if the difference is noticeable? I'm reading some articles regarding that, and it seems that the performance drop is quite insignicantly. I don't know if I am right.

Edited by Takezo

It's just my feeling, didn't make any tests.

I'm sorry for asking this, because it will for sure give you some work, but if you could, would you run the test driver test again with an older one, that was benchmarked before the update of SP1?

Just an older one that got a high score, like 257.15 or 197.85.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

I did, didn't write the results up but Vantage did drop some 200-300 points, other tests just 0 to 50.

I did, didn't write the results up but Vantage did drop some 200-300 points, other tests just 0 to 50.

Thanks zipper.

Im on asus g71gx quad 2.0ghz

I switched from 275.27 to 280.19 and dead island seems to run worse, i want a gamming driver, what do you think is the better now? 280.19 or i revert back to 275.27? any other option?

Thanks in advance.

Try 285.27 as it has some gaming enhancements over 28x.xx drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

285.38 beta tried with original inf. No problems, same performance level as 285.27 (= not fast).

• 4 weeks later...

OK, 285.62 WHQL tried. No problems, but amazingly one of the worst performers in a long time, especially on older benchmarks. Sad.

Yes, more fluid + better fps.

• 2 weeks later...

285.67 WHQL tried - no problems found. A pretty lame performer but a hair better than 285.62 with old software.

Now 285.79 beta driver tried. Nothing to complain - about the same (crappy) performance as the predecessor.

• 3 weeks later...

290.36 notebook WHQL tried, with original inf. Nothing to complain; as crappy performer as the predecessors.

295.18 Asus driver with the original inf - utterly crap. They succeeded to break the custom mode creation plus larger screenmodes and the performance sucks like the predecessors. Quickly back to 280.19.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for making this thread! I have some questions though. I'm using Sager NP8662. I followed your advice and installed 280.19, while writing in a single line with my card name into original INF. I wanted to OC it with Nvidia System Tools to 600/900/1500.

However, later on when I tried to test it with Vantage and 3dMark06, they keep crashing with "IDirect3DDevice9::Present failed: Device lost (D3DERR_DEVICELOST)" When I attempt to rerun the benchmark, the performance according to those benchmark tools drops exactly in half. I guess when it crashes, something turns off and or they discount a test. So instead of my usual 10000 and 4400 scores, I keep getting 6000 and 2200. Vantage test ran successfully only once with overclock and gave me the highest score yet, 4872.

The temps stay relatively cool - under 75C with load. So what could be the problem? Is it the driver? Is it benchmark software issue or my OC is really not stable? I played some games with that OC for an hour, and they seem stable. Am I really getting half of the performance though? Have you tried to OC with that driver, and what do you think are the safe clocks without overvolting?

Edited by Ellatan

That's possible OC behaviour - the temperature may not rise too high but the driver yet crashes - that error is typical and I've got it a couple of times when OCing. The "safe" margin varies wildly - my GTX 260M barely tolerates 10% (principally the original default); my former Quadro FX 1600 did about 20+% and older go5700 about as much (until it died...) So it's trial and error time. Raising the laptop/using a cooler probably gives some leeway. The driver tends to have some effect into the crash behaviour so even more testing still needed...