LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Benchmark results for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

zipper

290.53 Verde tried with the original inf. Tricky to install and performance is as bad as the predecessors. Nothing special to comment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zipper

• tribaljet

• Takezo

• Aura

Top Posters In This Topic

290.35 Asus driver tried with the original inf. A hair better but still lame. Tricky to install - the extra features did struggle, the driver itself was OK. Nothing to complain in the behaviour.

Hello :) Thanks for the thread btw, but i have a quick question. I have Windows 7 home premium with service pack 1. I think its messed with my video card performance. I also am using the gtx 260m on an alienware M15x. Should I uninstall the service pack? Also im trying to run Old republic and i would like to know what the best drivers are for that particular game? can you help me? Would be grateful.

The performance drop is possible - I found around 5% drop on DX10 tests. But yet I have no guts to remove the sp. Old Republic isn't too hard for hardware - a recent one may be the best choice.

I went ahead an uninstalled the SP1 and my frames are waay back to normal. Old republic is running pretty smoothly right now with 290.53. Not sure if there are any better ones that that I can use.

So, as I'm reading through the posts, seems like the best driver currently is 280.19 for this GPU.

Am I right about this, or did I get lost in the forest of the posts?

Right. That's where I go back if everything gets f^#ked.

• 3 weeks later...

286.16 notebook developer driver tried, with the original inf - the best of the latest drivers, since 280.47. No problems found when installing and using it.

295.51 desktop beta tried, added my card to the inf. A big surprise as the performance is back to top level even doing the top scores on 3DMark 05 and 06. Had to install PhysX and stereo 3D drivers manually as the script failed (again...).

...later notice - PowerMizer works just partially - one step down instead of three steps, so no 2D!

Hi Zipper, good that you've got your original performance back. How come you chose to use the desktop version of the driver, because there is a notebook version of it? Did you reckon you'd get more performance with the desktop version? I would have thought they would have been the same.

Rob

I just did go straight to the released d/l link for desktops, didn't check if the laptop version exists...

• 3 weeks later...

hey, i found your post, and i was reading it, but i have not found the best driver for me to use ..

i got a sager NP8662 (M860TU), running windows xp pro sp2 (sp3 crashes for some reason)

i got Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M video card in it, i am looking for the best driver to use for performance and gaming, i am using 197.16, but the games appear choppy, and difficult to play when i depend on time in them.

320 GB hard drive, 1920x1200 screen, P9700 @2.80GHz CPU ...

just want to play games on my laptop, i know it can play games, but getting somewhat poor results

edit:

changed the resolution in games to 1900x1200 and upped the graphics, and now it is more smother, weird ... still what is the best driver for windows xp pro sp2 to use with those m260 gtx's on a sager laptop??

thanks for the kind responces

Edited by Michel Yarmakovich

Not the faintest idea - might be the latest you can find with an inf for 260M and XP (32bit?) With http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers?dev=0618⊂=&whql=0〈=0&orderby=version&dir=desc&os=&os%5B%5D=xp seems that the latest with XP inf is 198.05

But the search isn't up to date, the latest driver with an inf for XP seems to be http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29028-v29036-windows-xp-32bit-nvidia-desktop/

295.73 WHQL tried - a step back in performance again, sorry to say. PowerMizer doesn't clock down to 2D like with the former beta driver; a problem that hasn't popped up in a long time.

As a matter of fact I couldn't find any PM settings from the registry, just leftovers from older drivers ?

Tried also with the modified inf - slightly worse performance - oops, the original inf is there, too so it probably got used again....

Tried also with the modified inf - slightly worse performance - oops, the original inf is there, too so it probably got used again....

I was hoping to hear positive results on these drivers.

• 4 weeks later...

296.10 WHQL tried. Nothing to complain, about on the standard level of the recent drivers; 295.51 is clearly faster.

296.10 WHQL tried. Nothing to complain, about on the standard level of the recent drivers; 295.51 is clearly faster.

i will stick with the latter for now, since I mostly use my book for media/entertainment now; so newer feats don't really pertain to me anymore.

Yep, for our older cards there's nothing to expect in speed region from the newer drivers.

Now 300.99 with modified inf. Quite promising, but not at 295.51 level - 3DMark05 especially clearly slower. But might be a keeper for newer hardware.

And now 301.10 with the modified inf - surprisingly clearly better than 300.99, about the fastest of all times except on Vantage, highest 3DMark06 ever. No problems so far.

And now 301.10 with the modified inf - surprisingly clearly better than 300.99, about the fastest of all times except on Vantage, highest 3DMark06 ever. No problems so far.

Thanks for testing, gonna dl now.

• 3 weeks later...

301.24 WHQL tried. No issues but a clear step back on the benchmarks. Sad.

301.27 developer driver tried with the original inf. No problems, still one notch down in performance from predecessors - so JAD (just another driver)...

• 3 weeks later...

301.34 tried with the modified inf. Very good performance, among the best drivers, a tiny bit slower than 301.10. No problems, the first one in a long time that did install everything without errors - meaning the update option did install which has failed for me so far for a long time.