LaptopVideo2Go Forums

3DMark6 Benchmark issue

BloodLust22

I just got a Sager M980NU with a T9400 and Dual Nvidia GTX 280M's in SLI. I also have a Dell XPS M1730 with a X9000 (stock) and Dual Nvidia GTX 8800M's in SLI. I just ran 3DMark06 to benchmark my new system and compare it to the speed of my much older Dell and was :) by the scores.

Sager: 11452 (avg. of 3 runs)

Dell: 12865 (avg. of 3 runs)

I used the exact same Nvidia driver also. I don't understand the score. The Sager should blow the Dell out of the water considering the 280's are two generations newer then the 8800's. Is there something wrong with this system or the graphics cards? Should I contact Sager or Xotic? I don't understand why it's so slow. I wouldn't of wasted $2000 if the performance was going to be worse then the Dell.

Any help would be appreciated in understanding these scores.

Thanks!

Try to run 3DMark Vantage instead of 3DMark06, for new graphics it's more useful and precise than the older.

Use fraps too, and run some games in both pc with same details and see if there are any differences.

Post results then.

PD: Sorry for my bad English xD

As you see here the results may differ wildly:

http://kettya.com/notebook2/3dmark06.htm

It's not easy to make comparisons as so many variables do affect the results.

Principally you should get something like 14000 - 15000.

I'm thinking the problem is your CPU. If you upgraded that to something comparable or better to what your Dell had, it should have a higher score since the CPU power is also figured into those scores.

Yeah, the CPU in Sager seams to be the reason - it's noticeably slower than Dell's.

Apart from that (as far as I've seen browsing trough benchmark results for both) it seams 280-SLi does not get even nearly to 'blowing 8800-SLi out of water', at least for me difference of about 20% can't be called so - but I see you're a gaming freak, ain't you? :)