LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Video Card on the blink again

mobilenvidia

To make life even harder while I`m on the road the Lappy video card has died again

Will attempt to bake it again tomorrow, this time in a gas oven.

In the meantime let me sing the praises of my Wife's blackberry bold

Great gadget for moments like these.

I should get my act together and sort out a new Notebook

def more worth it to get a new lappy than spend the $300 for a new 7xxx card

though then I will be one of the small few left with a E1705/9400 :)

Funny, my card has only died once, and was revived from the bake. It was the best trick I have ever seen. Saves a fortune!

Like StaFForD said, the cards for this laptop are worth $300 odd now, almost woth selling my working one!

I have done these repairs both with an oven and a heat gun.

I can say a heat gun if done properly is much more reliable. Be sure to preheat the entire circuit board evenly before focus heating on the component in question.

Also for the brave as a final check you should tap your gpu to see if the solder has melted. If it has the gpu should show signs of movment. Remember you should only move it less than 1mm in either direction the solder balls will find their place by themselves the gentle tap is to only confirm that you have reached a temp that they have melted. The slight movement also helps broken connections re-adhere.

Still it's a design flaw this method has given me better luck but I can't guarantee your video card won't go bad again.

To make life even harder while I`m on the road the Lappy video card has died again

Will attempt to bake it again tomorrow, this time in a gas oven.

In the meantime let me sing the praises of my Wife's blackberry bold

Great gadget for moments like these.

I should get my act together and sort out a new Notebook

What is this baking thing that you refer to??? wouldn't that fry the chips and melt all the solder points??

This is my baking of my two Go 7900 GS cards, both worked great afterwords

http://forums.laptop..._1entry125260

This is my baking of my two Go 7900 GS cards, both worked great afterwords

So i guess my next question is, what exactly is going on physically with the card that we cannot see. That requires someone to need to bake their cards in the oven?

So i guess my next question is, what exactly is going on physically with the card that we cannot see. That requires someone to need to bake their cards in the oven?

The solder cracks, baking softens it up and its like reflowing it

Seems they also use this trick for Xbox 360

yeah the solder gets micro cracks preventing the card to function properly

the baking softens the solder and fills in these micro cracks allowing the card to function again

(Baking does not always work and is not a permanent solution to a gfx card problem)

yeah the solder gets micro cracks preventing the card to function properly

the baking softens the solder and fills in these micro cracks allowing the card to function again

(Baking does not always work and is not a permanent solution to a gfx card problem)

Is their anyway to prevent this problem with laptop graphic cards? Also is this a common problem with all cards or only certain ones?

This can happen to any electonic device.

Not all devices ofcourse can take the 'Bake' as anthing with softplastic bits will just melt.

The GPU heatsink does fall off in the bake (a better way to tell the solder has melted).

Will require soldering back on afterwards.

Not had a chance to try the backe yet, too busy with other things.