LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 and Hotter Videocard?

newjay80s

I upgraded from Vista 32-bit to 7 64-bit last night on my M1530, and I couldn't be happier, as my gaming fps doubled. My guess is that it's due to the fact that Vista shares a huge chunk of your slower, system memory for use with graphics. This option can't be disabled in a laptop, so it may have been weighing me down all of this time.

However, one thing I've noticed is that my GPU temperature, according to GPU-Z, has increased by 10C. My load used to be at 75-78C, and now it's at 85-88C. This is HOT, but sadly, I once replaced the cooling fan because my GPU used to throttle at 100C in Vista, so in comparison, this isn't so bad, but I'm not comfortable with it either.

Basically I'm wondering what my options are to cool it down, like if there are drivers known to have lower temperatures for my 8600M GT. Perhaps this is a known issue with 7?

I'm also thinking maybe a cooling pad would be a good investment now too...

Try undervolting your CPU. It helps as well. Dox's 195.62 or Dell's 196.86. These two gave me the lowest temp for my 8600mgt. I idle on 55-58. My load is 78-80.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235824 - link to Undervolting guide. *Note: Undervolting does not mean underclocking. Just follow the guide.

You could look for ways to undervolt the gpu as well. There are ways, I just haven't done it myself.

Other suggestions would be replace your thermal paste, or get a new gpu.

Try undervolting your CPU. It helps as well. Dox's 195.62 or Dell's 196.86. These two gave me the lowest temp for my 8600mgt. I idle on 55-58. My load is 78-80.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235824 - link to Undervolting guide. *Note: Undervolting does not mean underclocking. Just follow the guide.

You could look for ways to undervolt the gpu as well. There are ways, I just haven't done it myself.

Other suggestions would be replace your thermal paste, or get a new gpu.

The thermal paste was replaced when I replaced the fan/cooling unit. I dropped some arctic silver in there. The gpu in the M1530 is built into the motherboard, and there is no mxm slot in there, so no go. Today though, I did install 196.86, and I also vacuumed the dust from my cooling unit, and my temperature is back into the 75-78C range.

Thank you for your response and advice!