LaptopVideo2Go Forums

PCMCIA SB Aud 2 ZS Notebook

EricStanley

PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook

I update my drivers all the time, did a complete reinstall of my laptop and when I updated the sound drivers I noticed a new program was installed (at least I didn't notice it before). So this is for those with this add in card that didn't notice it before like me

Its called the Creative Feature Mode Selection Utility, version 2.10.06

For those who don't know, this card from creative offers great sound on the laptop, but it could not use the lap tops speakers. You had to use headphones or external speakers. Not a problem, but sometimes you just don't want headphones on.

This new untility lets the card play through the lap top speakers. Its use is kinda strange though. You run it, tell it to use the speakers, hit test, it works. Close the program and run other apps, works great. When you reboot the sound stops. Re open the utility and it works again right away.

The web site says its been there since march. . . To get it just head there and download it. To run it check your creative folder in start menu.

So to make it work auto I put a shortcut in the startup folder to run it, and had it run minimized. The process it starts is CTModUtl.exe and uses about 4mb of memory. It puts an icon by the clock, you can then just exit it and the sound still works. Also, want to make sure you turn your speakers all the way up by switching to your lap top sound in the sound section of the control panel and then turning up all the sliders, then swap back to the creative one and you should have full control of the sound there.

From the web site. . .

Filename: ModUt_PCApp_LB_2_10_06.exe

Feature Mode Selection Utility update for Creative PCMCIA Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 ZS Notebook 2.10.06

FMS-WEBUP-1-LB

This web release updates your Feature Mode Selection Utility, for greater control, flexibility, and better overall performance.

Features

Lets you select audio features and resolution settings that work best with your notebook computer.

Enables audio playback through your notebook's built-in speakers.

Requirements

Microsoft® Windows® XP (Service Pack 2) or Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4)

Creative PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook audio device installed

Audio drivers version 5.12.10.1042 or 5.12.4.1081

Ugg boots

Uggs

Edited by EricStanley