LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nice IDT modded drivers for Dell Inspiron 1520 for Win 7/Vista

selphie

Alright, after spending two days fooling around with the .ini files and hours browsing through this forum, I finally have a working sound driver for Inspiron 1520.

I installed this on Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, but it should work for 32-bit as well, and it ought to work with Win Vista.

The Dell Inspiron 1520 has this Sigmatel hardware:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1&REV_1002

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1

It's possible that a few of other Dell models might have the same hardware. This can be easily checked by going to:

Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Sound, Video and Game Controllers -> High Definition Audio CODEC (or something similar) -> Properties -> Details -> Hardware IDs

You will need these three files:

1) Latest official driver is here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/23793-latest-sigmatel-idt-drivers/

You want this: v10.0.6277 DriverVer=04/07/2010,6.10.0.6277 Vista/Win7 and WinXP /x32/x64 - Dell

2) Modded driver is here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/23790-latest-sigmatel-idt-modded-drivers-for-win-7-and-vista/

You want this: Version 6.10.0.6277 DriverVer=04/07/2010,6.10.0.6277 Vista/Windows 7 x32/x64

3) My Inspiron 1520 modded .ini which is attached to this post. The ini's are all by Mr. mobilenvidia (all credits to him); I only tweaked them to work for my laptop.

Installation is simple:

i) Extract the official driver 1) somewhere.

ii) Extract the modded driver 2), and copy the files into the official drivers folder, overwriting any existing files.

iii) Unzip my .ini package, and copy them into the official drivers folder, again overwriting any existing files.

iv) Run Setup.exe

If your Sigmatel hardware is the same as mine as mentioned above, then this will install without any problem.

Congratulation, you now have a working sound drivers with the crazy IDT HD Sound mixer. :)

*********************************************************************************************

Here is what you can try to do if your hardware ID is different.

My .ini package have five files in total:

i) WRT.ini

ii) Stwrt.ini and stwrt64.ini (the former is for 32-bit, the latter is for 64-bit)

iii) STWRT.INF and STWRT64.INF (the former is for 32-bit, the latter is for 64-bit)

Open these files using Notepad and modify them accordingly:

i) WRT.ini

-> You should see this at the top:

[Models]

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0=this <----- replace this with your Hardware ID

DEFAULT=this

ii) Stwrt.ini and stwrt64.ini

-> Scroll to the bottom, you should find this:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1&REV_1002=WRT.ini <----- replace this with your Hardware ID

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1=WRT.ini <----- replace this with your Hardware ID

The reason why I have two lines is simply because they're listed like that in my Hardware ID. If you only have a single-line Hardware ID, then just delete one of the lines.

iii) STWRT.INF and STWRT64.INF

-> Search for these lines:

%ST.DeviceDesc%=STHDA,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1 <----- replace this with your Hardware ID

%ST.DeviceDesc%=STHDA,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1&REV_1002 <----- replace this with your Hardware ID

That's it. Save the the changes and run Setup.exe and hope it works.

I offer no guarantee that this will work for different soundcards - only that it worked for my Sigmatel model.

Good luck!

Dell_1520_ini.zip

Edited by selphie

A couple of screenshots to show how it looks like:

1mediumpb.jpg

Here you can see the normally bland Speakers Properties has more pages to play with.

At the bottom left is the IDT HD sound mixer. SRS is built in it.

2mediuma.jpg

post-43854-127428664224_thumb.jpg

post-43854-127428665389_thumb.jpg

Guest selphie

A small update.

1) Windows sound (example: the click sound when browsing up or down a folder) appears to crack/exhibit static when the volume is low. Issue is not there when using original Sigmatel drivers. There is no issue when gaming, listening to MP3 or watching movies, just with Windows sound. I've tried merging parts of the original .ini into WRT.ini bit by bit, but wasn't able to solve the issue.

If anyone has a solution kindly share it with the rest of us.

2) My SRS settings are unsatisfactory. Too much treble most of the time, and by turning SRS off I get a much better mid-tone. If you have a favourite mixer setting do share some screenshots with us.

Cheerz

Hi, can you prepare them to be ready for instal.Sorry, but do not speak English well and I would appreciate it if you do men. for downloading it and it instal.Imam same hardware

Edited by Emo

Sorry pal, the site has a 1MB attachment size limit.

Just download the three mentioned files, it's very easy to follow.

this doesn't work at all..while installing it says hardware is incompatible. i hve verified my inspiron 1520 hardware id and it is same as the one provided in the post.

this doesn't work at all..while installing it says hardware is incompatible. i hve verified my inspiron 1520 hardware id and it is same as the one provided in the post.

This is very strange. Did you overwrite all five .ini and .inf files using my package?

This is very strange. Did you overwrite all five .ini and .inf files using my package?

that may not be enough to get the latest modded IDT audio drivers to work on the Dell 1520 laptop, selphie.

have you copied the following PIN assignments for dell 1520's sigmatel/idt audio device into the modded WRT.INI file:

[HKR\Settings\Pin\0A]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x0321101F     
Action = hex: 81,0D
[HKR\Settings\Pin\0B]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x03A11020     
Bias = hex: FF,04,02
AltCfg = hex: 20,10,81,03     
Action = hex: 0A,0B
[HKR\Settings\Pin\0C]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x400003FA     
[HKR\Settings\Pin\0D]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x90170310     
ExtAmpCtrl = hex: 00,05,02
[HKR\Settings\Pin\0E]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x400003FB     
[HKR\Settings\Pin\0F]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x400003FC     
[HKR\Settings\Pin\14]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x400003FD     
[HKR\Settings\Pin\16]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x40F000F9
[HKR\Settings\Pin\17]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x90A60330     
Mic0Type            			= dword: 0 
Mic0XCoord          			= dword: 0
Mic0YCoord          			= dword: 0x00000040 
Mic0ZCoord          			= dword: 0
Mic0VerticalAngle   			= dword: 0
Mic0HorizontalAngle			= dword: 0
Mic1Type            			= dword: 0 
Mic1XCoord          			= dword: 0
Mic1YCoord          			= dword: 0xFFFFFFC0 
Mic1ZCoord          			= dword: 0
Mic1VerticalAngle   			= dword: 0
Mic1HorizontalAngle			= dword: 0
[HKR\Settings\Pin\18]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x400003FF     
[HKR\Settings\Pin\21]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x01441340     
GpiForPinSense = dword: 0x204
[HKR\Settings\Pin\22]
CfgDflt = dword: 0x40C003FE

I think mobilenvidia mentioned about a year ago to copy the PIN assignment stuff from your old driver's INI file onto the new one (aka. the modded WRT.INI file). not sure if that'll do the trick for some people.

Edited by erp-ster7n

My .ini package have five files in total:

i) WRT.ini

ii) Stwrt.ini and stwrt64.ini (the former is for 32-bit, the latter is for 64-bit)

iii) STWRT.INF and STWRT64.INF (the former is for 32-bit, the latter is for 64-bit)

iii) STWRT.INF and STWRT64.INF

-> Search for these lines:

%ST.DeviceDesc%=STHDA,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1                            <----- replace this with your Hardware ID

%ST.DeviceDesc%=STHDA,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1&REV_1002          <----- replace this with your Hardware ID

you need to re-package your Dell_1520_ini.zip file and upload it again, selphie. The INF files (STWRT.INF and STWRT64.INF) packaged in your ZIP attachment mention INCORRECT IDT Audio version number. (um there's this little thing called "proofreading!")

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=MEDIA
ClassGUID={4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider=IDT
DriverVer=02/01/2010,6.10.6269.0
CatalogFile=stwrt.cat

Official 6.10.6277.0 driver from R266088 says the following in the INF files:

DriverVer=04/07/2010,6.10.0.6277

also, would it be better for the INF and INI files to just simply mention "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0" instead of "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1"

Please make the necessary corrections and repost your ZIP file.

Edited by erp-ster7n

A couple of screenshots to show how it looks like:

1mediumpb.jpg

looks to me in the screenshot, that Device Manager says that you are using 6.10.6269 of the IDT HD Audio drivers, NOT 6.10.6277, selphie. OOPSIE! :) :)

correct the version number in that INF file if you want Device Manager to display the correct driver version.

here's the "correct" screenshot containing the IDT HD Audio 6.10.6277.0 driver mentioned by Device Manager:

post-43358-127627151782_thumb.jpg

Edited by erp-ster7n

Guest VibeBlast

Sorry but I was trying to follow along and I manually updated the .ini files and stuff with the drivers. But I still was unable to run the setup.exe file. I even followed along with re-writing the version info too. I still cannot run the setup.exe file tho and keep getting an error message when I try. It says hardware detected is not supported by this IDT software package. Installation is aborted. And after that the sound cuts off. Before the sound would work fine too. Is there a way to reinstall it? Cuz I'm pretty sure that I am using IDT's Sigma Tel Audio Control Panel but when I upgraded to Windows 7 it didn't work so I started following these threads. I downloaded the main one from dell and then the official driver update and the modded one. And then I overwrote them accordingly. But when I pull up my driver info in properties it says that the driver version is 6.`.7600.16385 not the one that was put into the inf file. Cuz i copy and pasted the DriverVer=02/01/2010,6.10.6269.0 but it still shows up as the older file. Thank you again for your time.

• 5 weeks later...

Selphie,please send me to Skype that you need to install........"westbury_" thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thank selphie . My Drivers installed succeed, but I can't find the mixer

you can see my ini. But my OS is x86,your OS is 64bit,you can refer to my ini

BTW,I'm chinese ,My English is very poor.I hope you can see what I said.

win7x86_1520_ini.zip

Edited by kungoo

• 2 weeks later...

my screen

??????????

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a 1520 dell inspiron running win7 x64.

Following Selphie's instructions one-by-one, I managed to get the driver working, even with Skype.

Still have 2 problems which I cannot resolve:

1. It seems that connecting a microphone to the jack does not work.

I tried different mics, which i know that work on other computers, but i cannot record through the external mics.

when i choose to listen to the internal mic device (i think this represent the mic jack device) i only get static.

2. the IDT control panel is in Hebrew (my locale). How can I change it to English?

• 2 months later...

the best audio IDT for Sigmatel hardware - HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_76A0&SUBSYS_102801F1&REV_1002

much better than the first post so:

Download --Sigmatel / IDT Modded Drivers ( Latest Sigmatel / IDT Modded Drivers for Win 7 and Vista ) Version 6.10.6263.0 Extract the modded driver

Download Attached File(s)and paste in drivers folder------WDM overwriting any existing files and Run Setup.exe

The best!!!!

WRT.rar

Edited by Emo

• 2 months later...
Guest jordoex

Yeah, they don't work for me. I've been trying like hell to get sigmatel drivers to work on my laptop but I've always had to revert to the microsoft drivers since once I play any sound, the sound service dies without warning. Exact same device string, inspiron 1520 (with nvidia graphics, different mainboard), win7 professional x64.

Mainly, plugging in a mic doesn't work, the microsoft drivers only do line in.

Guest Gonzhoe

Well i can manage to install these drivers, but still no support for the internal "subwoofer" with the Inspiron 9400.

Anyone has tips on how to get that woofer playing again??

Thanks!!