LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HELP!!!!! Trying to upgrade A1667g

Guest Lozdawney

Guest Lozdawney

Hi all I really need some advice. I need to know which mxm type II card or cards will GARANTEED work in my FSC amilo A1667g.

I searched countless forums and was sure the 8600mGT would be fine but it failed. I then tried an ATI x1600(128mb gddr3, type II form factor)

I had read that x1800, x1700 and x1400 are all compatible so hoped the x1600 was as well because it was the only card I could get hold of from the x1000 series. I tried it and it also failed.

I have bee without my lappy now for 2 months after failling what was supposed to be a simple upgrade and need to know which card to try next.

Any a1667g owners who have had success please message me and let me know what make/model card you used.

Please someone help!!!!!!

Peace

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lozdawney

Hi again I have now tried the 8600mGS but still no joy. Tried flashing the video bios with 3 different versions of the acer firmware. I know it flashed fine because I used this command line: nvflash -4 -5 -6 -A -y -! file.rom And it beeped and flashed the keyboard led's like its supposed to and then rebooted normaly (except still no image)

I assume if the card accepts the flash then it must be working ok and the computer boots up to windows just fine (I can wait til it boots then use keyboard shortcuts to shut down and it shuts down then switches off) So the pc is fine also. After running a little while the cooler above the gpu gets warm so the gpu has power and is doing work. It just wont show on the screen (tried both external outputs and they are dead too)

I found what looks like a recent repair to the board, underneath the black plastic layer stuck to the board by the MXM port. Could it be that it has been repaired in such a way that the x700 would work but no other card would?

Guest lozdawney

So many views on this but still no replies!!!! please someone must be able to help me?!?!?!?!?

Should I replace my mainboard? Do I need to use a customised sbios or vbios? I was sure my pc should accept 8600mGT/GS but it will work with neither. Have you had the same experience? Was it possible to fix? how did you fix it?

Guest lozdawney

Ok so i guess the OFFICIAL MXM-UPGRADE.COM FORUM is the WRONG place to look for help upgrading mxm modules. How stupid of me to think that MXM-UPGRADE was refering to UPGRADING MXM. I will look for the information I need somewhere else. Thank you all for ALL the help you have given me.

Loz out