LaptopVideo2Go Forums

can you get MXM slots from PCI-E??

nifcreature

hello.

so, its my first post here. might sound like a noobish idea to try, i know. but ive read some interesting things about MXM being so similar to pcie, and being able to do the opposite (desktop 16x pci-e from MXM).

this thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/418851-diy-vidock-experiences.html is very interesting as well. im active under niffcreature at nbr. i think i know a thing or two enough that this should be possible.

if it is possible, it would be pretty amazing, and even more so if a single unit is developed to convert expresscard + mini pci-e to an MXM 2.1 HE slot or 3.0 B.

the biggest problems i can think of, if this would be DIY and hacking, are getting an actual LVDS output and fan control. oh and - well how tiny i can solder if it comes to that.

any suggestions on where i could get started? otherwise, i will update this thread if and when i make any progress.

thanks

• 3 months later...

It is possible for desktop cards as seen on Diy Vidock http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/397667-lets-figure-out-how-make-diy-vidock.html

I am not sure if MXM will provide sufficient pins for this mod. AFAIK you will only get pci-e x1 speed