Best OS for my laptop?

RobJ

Hi readers,

I got a laptop, the Acer Aspire 7520G with following specs:

*AMD Turion 64 X2 (2.1ghz)

*Nvidia 8600m GS

*3GB DDR2

*250GB HDD

I'm currently running Windows Vista, after lots of tweaking, the system runs on idle around 690-750MB.

I'm willing to use this laptop for LAN Gaming for 1 game, Trackmania Nations Forever, since I play competition with this game on several lans and tournaments.

I got vista atm, with the 180.70 driver for my card, which is one of the best to be honest.

I tried Windows 7, but for some reason, with all drivers I tried, I got strange stuttering and FPS drops all the time.

Which OS do you guys recommend for my laptop?

Lots of greets,

Rob

Guest CONSCRIPT

for me, vista and 7 runs about the same tho windows 7 needed considerably less tweaking and was pretty clean to begin with.

which drivers have u been trying? i remember my old favorites (for vista) like 182.47 did not run on 7 very well but newer ones did. right now im using the 188.25 and they are (in my opinion) the best 1xx.xx drivers. havent tried the 2xx.xx drivers tho.

also, try not to worry about amount of ram used when idle. i THINK vista and 7 uses RAM aggresively for superfetch so that you can load up applications and files faster but when it comes to gaming / using ram for gaming, 3gb should be enough espcecially since ur on 32bit os.

Guest CONSCRIPT

for me, vista and 7 runs about the same tho windows 7 needed considerably less tweaking and was pretty clean to begin with.

which drivers have u been trying? i remember my old favorites (for vista) like 182.47 did not run on 7 very well but newer ones did. right now im using the 188.25 and they are (in my opinion) the best 1xx.xx drivers. havent tried the 2xx.xx drivers tho.

also, try not to worry about amount of ram used when idle. i THINK vista and 7 uses RAM aggresively for superfetch so that you can load up applications and files faster but when it comes to gaming / using ram for gaming, 3gb should be enough espcecially since ur on 32bit os.

• 1 month later...

For the graphics card try a driver from Dox . If that doesn't help try installing XP.

• 5 months later...

Hi readers,

I got a laptop, the Acer Aspire 7520G with following specs:

*AMD Turion 64 X2 (2.1ghz)

*Nvidia 8600m GS

*3GB DDR2

*250GB HDD

I'm currently running Windows Vista, after lots of tweaking, the system runs on idle around 690-750MB.

I'm willing to use this laptop for LAN Gaming for 1 game, Trackmania Nations Forever, since I play competition with this game on several lans and tournaments.

I got vista atm, with the 180.70 driver for my card, which is one of the best to be honest.

I tried Windows 7, but for some reason, with all drivers I tried, I got strange stuttering and FPS drops all the time.

Which OS do you guys recommend for my laptop?

Lots of greets,

Rob

You rather try Linux.