LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Need help on my Dell Replacement!!

jwslaugh

So my Dell SPX M1710 is about to bite the dust here and the flawed case design or graphic card that causes the heat issues is about to warrent me a replacement system finally on Dell's dime as per my warranty.

I wanted to get an idea from the knowledge here before contacting dell and being put through to the replacement department to make sure I have all my stuff together and do not get hosed on the new system.

As you all know they dont make the XPSM1710 anymore nor do they even make the XPSM1730 to my knowledge. Back before I know people were getting M1730's as replacements and having them spec'd out but I have no idea now what they will likely try to give me nor do I want to get hosed on the deal.

When I bought my XPSM1710 I have the 2GB Ram, Intel Core 2 CPU T7600, 8x DVDRW drive,Hard Drive 80GB Serial Ata 9 7.2K SE080, Intel 4965AGN wireless N card, Liquid Crystal Display, 17in WU Video Elec. Stds. Assoc. GlareWide Viewing Angle LG PHILIPS LCD... V2, Internal Bluetooth, Nvidia 7950gtx graphics card.

All of the stuff when I bought it was the top of the line item you could pick besides the hard drive and the disc drive since they offered blu-ray drives.

Now from what ive read when people were getting M1730's as replacements if they got the best CPU in there M1710 then they got the best CPU in the M1730 which was a big performance increase, and did the same for everything else.

I do not know if this will happen for me but I wanted to ask here first to make sure I dont get suckered into letting them give me a system that is not the best of what I could of gotten. I want to know what I should get and what I should be able to push for them to give me as a replacement. My computer has been nothing but parts being thrown at it with 3 mother boards and 3 graphics cards replaced in its life and its now the time they will do a system swap from what they told me.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jwslaugh

So my Dell SPX M1710 is about to bite the dust here and the flawed case design or graphic card that causes the heat issues is about to warrent me a replacement system finally on Dell's dime as per my warranty.

I wanted to get an idea from the knowledge here before contacting dell and being put through to the replacement department to make sure I have all my stuff together and do not get hosed on the new system.

As you all know they dont make the XPSM1710 anymore nor do they even make the XPSM1730 to my knowledge. Back before I know people were getting M1730's as replacements and having them spec'd out but I have no idea now what they will likely try to give me nor do I want to get hosed on the deal.

When I bought my XPSM1710 I have the 2GB Ram, Intel Core 2 CPU T7600, 8x DVDRW drive,Hard Drive 80GB Serial Ata 9 7.2K SE080, Intel 4965AGN wireless N card, Liquid Crystal Display, 17in WU Video Elec. Stds. Assoc. GlareWide Viewing Angle LG PHILIPS LCD... V2, Internal Bluetooth, Nvidia 7950gtx graphics card.

All of the stuff when I bought it was the top of the line item you could pick besides the hard drive and the disc drive since they offered blu-ray drives.

Now from what ive read when people were getting M1730's as replacements if they got the best CPU in there M1710 then they got the best CPU in the M1730 which was a big performance increase, and did the same for everything else.

I do not know if this will happen for me but I wanted to ask here first to make sure I dont get suckered into letting them give me a system that is not the best of what I could of gotten. I want to know what I should get and what I should be able to push for them to give me as a replacement. My computer has been nothing but parts being thrown at it with 3 mother boards and 3 graphics cards replaced in its life and its now the time they will do a system swap from what they told me.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, well you're right to work out what would be an acceptable replacement before you speak to them. If I was you I'd make sure that both the CPU and the graphics card were both as good or better than what you have currently. I think the best way for you to work this out would be to use the following two links which show you a list of all current notebook graphics cards & mobile CPU's ordered by performance. All you need to do is make sure that whatever Dell offers you is higher up the list than what you currently have.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

Also, don't accept an HDD of a smaller or slower performance.

Hope this helps,

Rob

I guess my main question would be which system would be best to try and push for out of there current line up?

The first ones that come to my mind off hand are the Studio17, Studio XPS16, Alienware M15/M17. Are there any drawbacks about any of those models, or is there anything that is an absolute must have or must not have with regards to any of the upgrades for those models?

I guess my main question would be which system would be best to try and push for out of there current line up?

The first ones that come to my mind off hand are the Studio17, Studio XPS16, Alienware M15/M17. Are there any drawbacks about any of those models, or is there anything that is an absolute must have or must not have with regards to any of the upgrades for those models?

As you say, have a look at each of those models on the Dell website, and the CPU/GPU configurations that you could get, then the CPU/GPU combination on the links I gave you before to make sure you're getting something better than what you had before. Once you've decided which ones you would be happy to go with see if Dell will offer them as a replacement. In actual fact, I think Dell should give you a better laptop than the one you have currently because of all the trouble they've put you through with countless motherboard replacements & the like!