LaptopVideo2Go Forums

need driver for my 8800m gtx aw

jenjer

hey guys i cant post my request anywhere but here cause of access restrictions?. any ways i have an older m15x here are the specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Alienware

System Model: m15x

BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1

Processor: IntelĀ® Core2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 425MB used, 3513MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: NVxx

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060C&SUBSYS_0770152D&REV_A2

Display Memory: 512.0 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Default Monitor

Monitor Max Res:

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6532 (English)

DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 8/30/2007 14:15:00, 5950976 bytes

im using the factory gfx driver from alienware (ver:165.32)and i cant find a newer one that will work. there are some that will let me load the driver but when i check the clock speeds with gpu-z they arent rated at the same speeds as the factory driver (clock:500 memory:799 shader:1250). with the 258.96 driver from nvidia clock speed were cut in half and games werent running as they should. ive been to notebook review they werent able to get me a driver that will produce the right clock speeds so im here looking if anyone has a solution.

Edited by jenjer

Hi, I'd try driver 257.41, it's a whql microsoft update release driver (just been posted on this website in the last few days), and apparently it supports all notebook & desktop cards from 6000 series up. You can find it on the news page of LaptopVideo2go (which is the first page you come to on LaptopVideo2go website). Good luck!

He wants a XP driver, 257.41 is not out for XP you may want to try 198.05 or 197.45 (both are whql) or you may want to wait for the modded 259.09 INF

hey guys, ive tried those drivers already and they dont display the right clock speeds on gpu-z and rivatuner.

here's the link to the driver that im currently using which shows the correct clock speeds and runs games more smooth than the drivers that came out after the 165.32. i think this is an ongoing issue with many m15x owners running the 8800m gtx's.

LINK : http://support.alienware.com/Support_Pages/Restricted_Pages/driver_downloads_processed.aspx?os=WXP&cat=2&manu=29&item=1073

the 175.80 beta driver listed below doesnt run as good as the driver supplied for the 8800m gtx.

if someone is willing to look into the driver and see what makes the 165.32 perform better than the new drivers that are out i would greatly appreciate it.

All I can do is take a look at the INF and see if there are specific settings in it that might relate to your clockspeed issues. Gimme a little bit of time as I am extremely busy.

thanks a bunch, ill be checking daily for any updates.

thanks a bunch, ill be checking daily for any updates.

I have downloaded the drivers and have taken a quick look. I hadn't noticed that you mentioned XP until I opened the INF ant took a look. There are quite a lot of custom settings in there. I will take a better look in a bit, seems I will have to put in a little bit of a follow the code flow in order to figure things out there. What driver would you like? 258.96?

I have downloaded the drivers and have taken a quick look. I hadn't noticed that you mentioned XP until I opened the INF ant took a look. There are quite a lot of custom settings in there. I will take a better look in a bit, seems I will have to put in a little bit of a follow the code flow in order to figure things out there. What driver would you like? 258.96?

that would be awesome if you could make it work. i would like the newest one if possible. thanks much

Edited by jenjer

what file in the installer controls the clock speeds of the gfx card? i used the inf file that came with the factory driver with a newer driver installer that has the same files and it downclocks.

Hi Nautis1100

I was just about to find a way to message you directly after reading your informative "Modding 101 - The Basics and Hybrid Graphics" thread.

This issue listed in a previous thread: laptopvideo2go forums post m15x NVIDA drivers

And here in a forum that most Alienware m15x users hang-out: NotebookReview forums post m15x NVIDIA drivers

Has been a major pain for a lot of neglected m15x users for a long time. From my limited knowledge the solution to this problem is as far as I can see:

1) Disable on-board/motherboard GFX and see if the 190.X NVIDIA drivers then work under Windows -> Mess with Alienware m15x BIOS files?!

OR

2) Transfer features from the 190.X upward NVIDIA drivers e.g. CUDA etc. to the 180.X NVIDIA driver package so that these 'upgrades' work with Hybrid Technology.

It seems that not only your the person to talk to for the approach (2) but that your already on to it! I'm also happy to be a guinea pig for any testing of 190.X upward NVIDIA drivers that you may modify or develop to be compatible with Hybrid Technology, specifically the Alienware m15x system. You can email me at mad_rabbit_@hotmail.com.

In the meantime I will read through you "Modding 101 - The Basics and Hybrid Graphics" thread to try an attempt to address the problem myself.

The poster above was me. I'm now a forum member is you Nautis1100 or anyone else wants to message me about getting some nice drivers working for the Aleinware m15x, thanks!

Has been a major pain for a lot of neglected m15x users for a long time. From my limited knowledge the solution to this problem is as far as I can see:

1) Disable on-board/motherboard GFX and see if the 190.X NVIDIA drivers then work under Windows -> Mess with Alienware m15x BIOS files?!

OR

2) Transfer features from the 190.X upward NVIDIA drivers e.g. CUDA etc. to the 180.X NVIDIA driver package so that these 'upgrades' work with Hybrid Technology.

1) Intel 965 can't use the latest driver which is 2189

2) 17x Nvidia driver don't have NVControlPanel2, what will happen if you copy 19x Nvidia files into 17x or 18x?

<S>Black screen on intel side... that is what happened if I mod 258.96 NVIDIA to Intel 2189 while 189.99 NVIDIA works with Intel 2189</S>

the right answer is error in cp

Edit:

17x.xx is a mess X_X i will try my best to see what is inside and edit the best i can

try the following inf... for 258.96

nvaa.zip

Edited by Andrew08

hey andrew i tested the 258.96 driver with that nvaa.inf. here is what i got from my tests using furmark. gpu-z was used to calculate the result down below

driver 165.32

core clock 500mhz

memory clock 799mhz

shader clock 1250mhz

driver 258.96 w/nvaa.inf

core clock 275mhz

memory clock 300.9mhz

shader clock 550mhz.

as you see the 165.32 produces 2x the speed than the newer drivers. ive tested most to all drivers that came after the 165.32 and they produced that same low results as that of the 258.96. something in the newer drivers is downclocking the gpu to half speed which i cant figure out why.

i wish alienware would just help us out and give us a solution. ive been using this driver (165.32) since i recieved the laptop. some games dont run correctly cause of outdated drivers.

Try the one attached.

Make sure to download the International Verde 258.96 here.

Once you run 258.96_notebook_winxp_32bit_international_whql.exe it will ask where to put the drivers, use default C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\258.96\WinXP\International

extract attached INF zip to C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\258.96\WinXP\International\Display and then run setup.exe

NOTE: The clock issues you are seeing may be due to powermizer.

175.80 is set to 2222 165.32 is set to 3333 (more info)

The values are as follows:

PerfLevelSrc=0x2222 - fixed PowerMizer mode (and appropriate fixed frequency) is used for battery power source and fixed PowerMizer mode is used for AC power source, these PowerMizer modes may be the same or different

PerfLevelSrc=0x2233 - fixed PowerMizer mode is used for battery power source and adaptive clock frequency strategy is used for AC power source

PerfLevelSrc=0x3322 - fixed adaptive clock frequency strategy is used for battery power source and PowerMizer mode is used for AC power source

PerfLevelSrc=0x3333 - adaptive clock frequency strategy is used for battery and AC power sources

The only real other difference settings wise between those two sets is DevSwitchSuppressMask which is 1 on 165.32 and 5 on 175.80.

m15x_xp_25896_inf.zip

NOTE: The clock issues you are seeing may be due to powermizer.

175.80 is set to 2222 165.32 is set to 3333 (more info)

The values are as follows:

PerfLevelSrc=0x2222 - fixed PowerMizer mode (and appropriate fixed frequency) is used for battery power source and fixed PowerMizer mode is used for AC power source, these PowerMizer modes may be the same or different

PerfLevelSrc=0x2233 - fixed PowerMizer mode is used for battery power source and adaptive clock frequency strategy is used for AC power source

PerfLevelSrc=0x3322 - fixed adaptive clock frequency strategy is used for battery power source and PowerMizer mode is used for AC power source

PerfLevelSrc=0x3333 - adaptive clock frequency strategy is used for battery and AC power sources

The only real other difference settings wise between those two sets is DevSwitchSuppressMask which is 1 on 165.32 and 5 on 175.80.

hey nautis, i really appreciate you helping out and trying to find a fix for the downclocking on the m15x. but ive already tried this registry edit fix with a few older drivers a while back and it didn't do anything but produce same numbers as stated above. i downloaded the 258.96 driver and put in the inf file you had attached and made the registry change and still doesnt come near close to the performance or clocks of the 165.32 driver.

i believe something else in the 165.32 driver is controlling the clock frequencies. when i open rivatune and go to the overclocking tab in system tweaks it detects my clock speed @ 500/1250/799 with the 165.32 driver. i can also overclock those numbers and verify they have taken effect with gpu-z and furmark.

unlike all the newer drivers, when i open rivatuner and go to the overclocking tab in system tweaks it detects my clock speed @ 383/767/301 with any driver that came out after the 165.32 driver. when i change the clock frequencies in rivatuner the settings dont apply and revert back to the lower clock speeds the moment you close that window and open it back up.

im guessing it will do that with any driver that came out before 165.32 only becuase i think someone from alienware modded the driver at the current time when the m15x was produced back then.

im pretty much fed up with not being able to find an up to date driver for my m15x and AW is no help either after numerous chats over the phone they seem to want me to pay them first and then resolve the issue... why should i have to pay just so i can update my system.

unlike all the newer drivers, when i open rivatuner and go to the overclocking tab in system tweaks it detects my clock speed @ 383/767/301 with any driver that came out after the 165.32 driver. when i change the clock frequencies in rivatuner the settings dont apply and revert back to the lower clock speeds the moment you close that window and open it back up.

Just like my case except the values do stick - but that's because RivaTuner hasn't been updated in a long time so no wonder it doesn't work as meant. Just have to wait - but NVidia System Tools works OK. Or EVGA Precision.

Just like my case except the values do stick - but that's because RivaTuner hasn't been updated in a long time so no wonder it doesn't work as meant. Just have to wait - but NVidia System Tools works OK. Or EVGA Precision.

i dont think your correct... ive tried using all the 17x.xx drivers with the rivatuner i have which is the most recent and it produces the same results as with the newer drivers. there is some modifications in the 165.32 driver that makes it work with rivatuner. ive even tried drivers that came out before the 165.32 and still there is a downclock issue.

try this...

first install with Nautis inf then:

http://somemorebytes.com/wp/index.php/software/nvpmmanager/

make the maximum setting... see what will happen...

and i found the real link to m15x hive

http://support.alienware.com/Support_Pages/Restricted_Pages/driver_downloads_processed.aspx?os=&cat=2&manu=29&item=1073

Edited by Andrew08

The PowerMizer Manager link Andrew posted is a great application for adjusting PowerMizer settings. If it has anything to do with powermizer one of the settings in PMM should fix it.

I assume you have tried the Nvidia System Tools Zipper mentioned for overclocking.

If Alienware some how did modify the drivers to boost clock speeds with 165.32 I am not sure there is really too much we can do (beyond setting the overclocked values upon installation.) As I am sure you know, the default clockspeed values are set in the vbios. The drivers detect these values and use them as appropriate.

I will look at the drivers some more to see if anything else jumps out.

i am thinking the other way, i am thinking to put max settings in powermizer so that the system will work "normal"?

Hi Nautis,

I tried the "m15x_xp_25896_inf.zip" in the "258.96_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_international_whql" driver and it wouldn't install as it 'could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware'.

I guessing this is a a XP vs. Windows 7 problem by the title of your modified .zip file.

I know the powermizer settings were indeed a problem in the past as talked about in the NotebookReview forums, but that's beyond my level of knowledge.

Correct Madrabbit711, The INF here is for XP and the one on NBR is for 64bit windows7. I will see if I can get a 32bit windows 7 INF together for you to try.

Can I ask what you look at or modify in the INF specific to Switchable/Hybrid grpaphics, and particularly in reference to the m15x Alienware laptop?

From my limited understanding it would seem that a modification of the INF would allow installation of newer drivers but not their operation. Indeed the base/original NVIDIA 258.96 drivers install without a modified INF.