LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7/Vista 32bit GeForce Go 7900 GTX Driver?

Guest Justin

Guest Justin

Hello, I recently installed windows 32bit on my Dell xps M1710 notebook. It has a Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 Gtx video card in it. I cannot seem to find a driver that works with my laptop for windows 7ultimate 32bit. I have tried 179.48_notebook_winvista_win7_32bit_beta.exe which the Nvidia site tells me to download and I get "The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup wil now exit."

I am at a loss, the windows update installs a Quadro driver which makes my monitor blink with this error "Display Driver stopped responding and has recoverd."

Any help or solution would be amazing. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I GOT IT WORKING, IT'S SOLVED!

THE SOLUTION IN A NUTSHELL:

- Get 179.48 and Force Install a similar display driver (Go 7950 GTX)

- Get 175.32 and Reverse Install with this older driver & trick the computer to install the proper display driver (back to Go 7900 GTX)

The Steps (these are the steps i went through, so some may not be necessary - who knows)

1) get the Nvidia's latest driver which is 179.48 > unpack it (it would go straight to install and probably tell you it cant find the driver for your hardware b/c windows falsely installed Quadro driver instead - no worry)

2) if you have the Quadro 510m driver or whatever (which Windows 7 falsely recognize) go ahead an uninstall it from your device manager & reboot

3) once rebooted go back to your device manager and under your display adapter it should say something like a 'Standard VGA display adapter' > right click & select 'Update driver software...'

***there will be several pop-up windows in the following steps***

4) first pop-up window will come up, do what i would call a 'Force Install' by choosing 'Browse my computer for driver software' (the 2nd option)

5) another pop-up window will appear, this time instead of browse for driver software, > go with the 2nd option again 'Let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer'

6) in the next pop-up window press the button 'Have Disk...' > now locate the 179.48 you unpacked earlier (it's probably in C:/NVIDIA/WinVista/IS/Display). Now you should see a bunch .INF files, i selected the top one NVAA and went with it.

7) now back to the 'Have Disk...' pop-up window you should see an entire list of video cards BUT YOU WONT SEE GeForce Go 7900 GTX (ARGH!), no worry > Select GeForce Go 7950 GTX and confirm to install then reboot.

8) Once you rebooted verify that you indeed have a GeForce Go 7950 GTX driver installed.

9) Now the easy part. Go back to Nvidia.com to their driver download page. instead click the 'beta and archived drivers' at the bottom of the page & search for GeForce Go 7900 GTX for VISTA, again VISTA (you should see one of the available drivers is 175.32 Download it & then unpack)

10) this time the driver will go into automatic install again after unpacking but this time the installation should process without trouble and once you finish installing & reboot and you should have a GeForce Go 7900 GTX installed! Congrats!

sidenote*** windows 7 is really smart, before when it was all messed up windows 7 will always do auto-update then falsely install the Quadro driver but after going through these steps it now lists the Quadro driver under 'optional' instead of 'important' that surely take the worry out of me. :)

Nvidia seems to drop the ball on this one and left out GeForce Go 7900 GTX in its driver (this site seems to have done the same thing strangely enough) so windows 7 picks it up as a Quadro 510m because the specs on the Go 7900 GTX and Quadro 510m seems to be the same.

good luck and enjoy your Windows 7 :)

b

• 4 months later...