LaptopVideo2Go Forums

ASUS Laptop (with optimus technology) Hangs/freezes at login , screen goes black

ulf

am having the exact same prblem with my new pl30jt, which I think is the professional ul30jt.

I was about to throw it out under a car before I read this thread. Glad to hear its not just me.

Any more news?

My problem is there isn't even a driver page on the asus website for the pl30jt meaning I can't even be sure what bios is good to install!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jans

Yesterday I received updated BIOS to resolve that issue for UL30JT. Write support ticket to Asus, they seam to acknowledged that issue and provided new bios in just ONE day. Good job Asus!

Now running 258.96 drivers (with tray icon for Optimus and profile updates).

Yesterday I received updated BIOS to resolve that issue for UL30JT. Write support ticket to Asus, they seam to acknowledged that issue and provided new bios in just ONE day. Good job Asus!

Now running 258.96 drivers (with tray icon for Optimus and profile updates).

Wow that is good. Thanks for the input, am writing a ticket to asus right now. Can you please post what you said to explain what was happening with your UL30JT?

Cheers mate,

Jans

german asus support is not that helpful :)

PL30JT should have nearly the same components like the UL30JT

Wow that is good. Thanks for the input, am writing a ticket to asus right now. Can you please post what you said to explain what was happening with your UL30JT?

Cheers mate,

Jans

I'm trying to install new drivers from nVidia website, which should support nVidia

Optimus. Unfortunately system freezes after reboot, when trying to load new drivers. It

seams to be a common issue on your products which should be fixed by new bios

revision. I can't launch Mafia 2 due to drivers incapability - it needs 258 branch when

I'm using 257 newest drivers from Asus.

Rest of conversation continued in Polish, so I'll spare you this. Firstly they answered that stable drivers are available form their website. You must insist that it's a BUG and that is not a solution since you need newer drivers for some app. After L1 posted a bug to Taiwan it took them ~24h to produce newer BIOS.

PS.

Mafia 2 still doesn't work for me... :)

Edited by meto

Just for the record I have had a response for Asus about the PL30JT and that it is the business version of the UL30VT and so the bios and drivers are interchangable.

I have installed the 216 bios and all seems to be running fine. Note that I have only installed the recommended NVIDIA drivers from the Asus website and haven't tried with the latest WHQL ones.

Will post again on the results.

Thanks for the help guys!

Jans

asus provides 259.12 driver version which should install properly on your fixed versions:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=VGA&os=30&SLanguage=en-us

look for: nVidia Graphics Driver Version V8.17.12.5912

Edited by daze

asus provides 259.12 driver version which should install properly on your fixed versions:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=VGA&os=30&SLanguage=en-us

look for: nVidia Graphics Driver Version V8.17.12.5912

There is no GF 310M from UL30JT (at least mine) in INF.

Edited by meto

There is no GF 310M from UL30JT (at least mine) in INF.

it worked for me at least the install process. it has to match

the VEN-, DEV- and SUBSYS-ID. for me this is:

VEN_10DE&DEV_0A70&SUBSYS_12D21043

you can find this information in your device manager.

(just in case you only searched for strings matching UL30Jt & 310M)

Edited by daze

it worked for me at least the install process. it has to match

the VEN-, DEV- and SUBSYS-ID. for me this is:

VEN_10DE&DEV_0A70&SUBSYS_12D21043

you can find this information in your device manager.

(just in case you only searched for strings matching UL30Jt & 310M)

Mine is:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A70&SUBSYS_13621043

I CAN do INF hacking but I'm lazy and 258.96 give me no issues, although Mafia2 is a little glitchy...

• 2 months later...

New UL80Jt BIOS is out. Seems to fix the issue.

Link: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=UL80JT&os=30

I attached the nvam.inf for the latest official nVidia 260.99 to recognize the UL80Jt Chipset-IDs.

nvam.inf

• 1 year later...

Hello guys, I bought the Asus UL80J-BBk5 laptop yesterday and I am having issues with battery life and games.

First, the battery life with power4gear battery saving ONLY gets 4 hrs with low brightness

Second, when playing Civilization 5 I get very bad performance even on HIGH performance

Is my optimus working? where can I check when the intel graphics or nvidia graphics card are working?