LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 5720 ZG Upgrade

Edzio03

Hi.

Some days ago my 8400m GS got failure (pink artifacts on startup screen, stuttering movies, bluescreens etc).

I thought that instead of repair that faulty gpu, maybe i will buy some other thing.

I was think about gf 9300 or 9500 GS, other options are propably radeon 2400/2600 (hard to find) and maybe very popular gf 8600 but i rather not this one because its old & faulty same as my 8400GS.

My question is, whether these 9300 (removed from 5730ZG) or 9500 (propably removed from Aspire 6920) will be compatible with my 5720 ZG?

There will not be a power (my AC is 80W), cooling or bios problem? I dont have a chance to try any of these card before buy, so what do you guys think about that upgrade?

I put the 9300GS in my alienware m5550 and at idle it is 45C, so cooling should be fine and power should be the same or less than the 8400. As for compatibilty it might beep for 30 seconds at startup, check that it goes to full clock speed and not throttle clocks. Otherwise there is a fix for both these problems just look at the threads in this forum (SM BIOS fix).

45C in idle is really cool i think, thats good news - mine temp was 58-60C in idle & 83-87C during play.

Actually im looking for confirmation if 9500m GS will be 100% compatible, unfortunately someone bought that 9300m before me.

If it has the Acer BIOS then it should be fine, I dont know about the heatsink on your laptop as some cards have bits on the graphics card that stick out higher and may not let the graphics card make proper contact with the heatsink. But I'm guessing it would be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Today i've finally replaced 8400m GS to Radeon HD 2600.

Everything works well for now, only problem is cant read temperature via everest or gpu-z, and i cant regulate gpu performance via Acer powermizer.

Propably bios update will be needed or i need to find some better drivers (for now i have only original Acer's Catalyst 8.4 from 2007)

but im sure its cooler than before and games works a little better :)