LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Big earthquake shaking South Island

mobilenvidia

Woke up this morning with a big earthquake rocking the house at 4:35am.

The new house stood up to the 7.4 Earthquake very well.

The house felt as if was built on a wobbly Jelly or on a boat with a big swell.

It went on for what seemed like ages.

Chrichurch the South Island's largest City did not fare so well, lots of damage.

Luckily no fatalities, and only minor injuries.

New Zealand has many earthquakes, but still frightening when a big one comes along.

Anyway, thats the major news going on over here.

Guest feigned-existence

woah at most i have ever had was a very small one that only really cracked chimneys (i live in the UK by the way) it must have been insane waking up in that, are you sure you didn't have any alcohol still pulsing through your system ^_^.

I'm glad you're okay, Pieter. I came straight here when I read the news. It sounds like Christchurch got nailed pretty badly.

Bein a Kiwi myself I remember hearing about the big earthquake that hit Napier all those years back almost wiped it out. I would say Christchurch would of had to be the second biggest we've ever had ain't it. Was watchin one news tonight and the damage looked devastating. Hope it don't hit Greytown.

Glad your new house held up.

Wow, I thought thunderstorms were exciting! Here in the UK the weather is just not so extreme I guess! The power of nature is fascinating wether it be thunderstorms or shaking the foundations of your house - more exciting with the shaking of your foundations I reckon! Thunderstorms / lightning / and earthquakes at the same time could take the biscuit, maybe you'll have to wait for that one?! But mother nature is not to be sniffed at, see Pakistan recently, too much water at once is not a good thing.. :)

Wow, I'm so glad you are ok! I pray that you and your family stay safe and sound.