LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8600m gt and 260.63

Guest Pi

Hi,

im not sure if its the right section but anyway.

I have a vostro with 8600m gt and like some other guys have the problem of the "black screen" on bootup after installation of the new cool nvidia drivers (260.63 win7 x86). Well what i found is that if u change the video bios with one of the nvidia bioses found at "http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/" i can finally boot with the new drivers.(Some of the bioses i tried made me do the blind flashing because they weren't the correct ones so pls don't flash anything because of my post). The bios i flashed appear to be actually newer that the one i used to have and even gives me some perf boost of a couple of fps. But theres a but. I got a flickering that appears randomly mostly when loading video or a 3D application. It appears for a fraction of a second and does not affect performance or locks the laptop. I uploaded a low quality picture cause programs like CamStudio wont capture the flickering and i dont have a normal camera.

http://img245.imageshack.us/i/19188217.png/

the flickering does not happen that often but still happens.

The bios i used is the second NVIDIA bios from here

"http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=&model=8600M+GT&interface=&memSize=0"

while the bios i used to have i believe is the same as any of the bioses of DELL on the same page.

if u know how to find whats causing the flicker (mby refresh rates or different memory timings) pls share ur info.

Hi,

im not sure if its the right section but anyway.

I have a vostro with 8600m gt and like some other guys have the problem of the "black screen" on bootup after installation of the new cool nvidia drivers (260.63 win7 x86). Well what i found is that if u change the video bios with one of the nvidia bioses found at "http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/" i can finally boot with the new drivers.(Some of the bioses i tried made me do the blind flashing because they weren't the correct ones so pls don't flash anything because of my post). The bios i flashed appear to be actually newer that the one i used to have and even gives me some perf boost of a couple of fps. But theres a but. I got a flickering that appears randomly mostly when loading video or a 3D application. It appears for a fraction of a second and does not affect performance or locks the laptop. I uploaded a low quality picture cause programs like CamStudio wont capture the flickering and i dont have a normal camera.

http://img245.images...i/19188217.png/

the flickering does not happen that often but still happens.

The bios i used is the second NVIDIA bios from here

"http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=&model=8600M+GT&interface=&memSize=0"

while the bios i used to have i believe is the same as any of the bioses of DELL on the same page.

if u know how to find whats causing the flicker (mby refresh rates or different memory timings) pls share ur info.

Pretty cool. I don't have enough guts to try it for myself though, because I already have plenty of Bricks and I don't need another one :) "ManuelG" on the Nvidia forums filed a bug report for that issue, so it should be fixed soon.

Did u make any changes to the bios BEFORE flashing to your gpu. I was thinking about trying this but feared bricking my only working computer. This does give me new hope.

Pretty cool. I don't have enough guts to try it for myself though, because I already have plenty of Bricks and I don't need another one :) "ManuelG" on the Nvidia forums filed a bug report for that issue, so it should be fixed soon.

I would like to use these drivers, but I only have this comp and dont want to mess it up. I hope it is possible to fix the problem, I have seen older Gpu's using this driver so we should be able also to experience 260+.

I would like to use these drivers, but I only have this comp and dont want to mess it up. I hope it is possible to fix the problem, I have seen older Gpu's using this driver so we should be able also to experience 260+.

I guess nvidia is going to fix it for us but still i believe the problem is because we have the old video bios 60.84.50.00.02 because flashing with 60.84.62.00.29 seemed to fix the black boot screen at the price of some strange flickerings that i want to fix mby by editing the bios. Anyway if sbdy have 8600m gt it will be cool if u can upload the video bios so i cant check it out. Blind flashing is sth i get used to lately :)

I guess nvidia is going to fix it for us but still i believe the problem is because we have the old video bios 60.84.50.00.02 because flashing with 60.84.62.00.29 seemed to fix the black boot screen at the price of some strange flickerings that i want to fix mby by editing the bios. Anyway if sbdy have 8600m gt it will be cool if u can upload the video bios so i cant check it out. Blind flashing is sth i get used to lately :)

Did u try changing the memory timings on the new bios to match your old bios settings. That could fix it for u.<br /><br />also, Did u force flash the gpu to take the bios?

never mind. I took the plunge and force flashed the bios and it worked. I now have a working 260.63 driver now.

Edited by mrx

Did u try changing the memory timings on the new bios to match your old bios settings. That could fix it for u.<br /><br />also, Did u force flash the gpu to take the bios?

never mind. I took the plunge and force flashed the bios and it worked. I now have a working 260.63 driver now.

Well i have been trying to change memory timings for a while now but it just doesnt seem to work. The only way of changing timings is by using Test Timings feature in Nibitor and it works cause i get 4-5 extra fps in Furmark but when i flash with the timings i want it doesnt seem to work. I havent actually found somebody that has succesfuly changed timings of a laptop video card and can confirm the difference. So i guess just finding a newer bios that has better timings is the only option.

Anyway, ur saying that u have flashed with nvidia bios and u dont have the flickering ?

I now know what causes the flickering u see. Every time u see that flickering, that is your gpu change between 3d to 2d throttle and 2d mode and back. Every time is changes, it does that flickering. Also I did change the timings on my card to match the old bios. First u need to know what timing set the computer will use and change that timing set. For me, my comp uses timing set 2 so all i change was timing set 2 and bam.

I now know what causes the flickering u see. Every time u see that flickering, that is your gpu change between 3d to 2d throttle and 2d mode and back. Every time is changes, it does that flickering. Also I did change the timings on my card to match the old bios. First u need to know what timing set the computer will use and change that timing set. For me, my comp uses timing set 2 so all i change was timing set 2 and bam.

Could you by any chance post the BIOS image you flashed? I think I might give it a try.

EDIT: I was going to try to do it myself, but the BIOS image mentioned by the OP (http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/4976/NVIDIA.8600MGT.512.070731.html) has different clock rates than my card. Did you guys change the clock rates back before you flashed?

Confirmed! man thank you. Im gona just force 3d all the time and see if it will fix it but im quite sure it will. I know thats not a solutions but what can u do.

Also i did change the timings ( its timingset 3 for me ) but this doesn't affect anything. Its just like changing voltage in nibitor - gpuz says it has changed but neither temps go higher nor u can clock further.

As far as i know if you change the timingset u use to higher/lower one ( by higher mean numbers in the Detailed timings page ) u can clock further/ or gain more fps (or it was the other way around, cant remember). So do u notice a change in performance - overclocability ?

@Michael Marley - u can use the first nvidia one if u dont like the bios overclock, they are pretty much the same version 60.84.62.00.29.

(http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/5673/NVIDIA.8600MGT.512.070921.html)

Could you by any chance post the BIOS image you flashed? I think I might give it a try.

EDIT: I was going to try to do it myself, but the BIOS image mentioned by the OP (http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/4976/NVIDIA.8600MGT.512.070731.html) has different clock rates than my card. Did you guys change the clock rates back before you flashed?

NVIDIA 8600M GT 512 MB BIOS

It is meant for a completely diff 8600M GT, but ours is only 256MB. There probably would be complications with a diff GPU bios.

NVIDIA 8600M GT 512 MB BIOS

It is meant for a completely diff 8600M GT, but ours is only 256MB. There probably would be complications with a diff GPU bios.

Ur right. I don't know what are the differences tough except for more vram. Its not like its DDR3 video bios or sth. I'll post if my laptop fries.

Did you guys also get the "Board ID" warning when you flashed? I got that, and it scared me off.

Did you guys also get the "Board ID" warning when you flashed? I got that, and it scared me off.

We dont have that ver of the 8600M GT, it's probably warning you about it being different from 0407.

We dont have that ver of the 8600M GT, it's probably warning you about it being different from 0407.

My PCI Device ID is 0407, so the Board ID must be something different.

Also, what version of nvflash are you using?

I used 5.95 with -4 -5 -6 and say yes to the board id crap. It works just fine for me, also I did do the flash in windows so the risk i had faced was greater than if u flash in dos. here is the bios i used and yes i did oc this bios to my liking. http://www.mediafire.com/?x83y6t469tfyjzv

My PCI Device ID is 0407, so the Board ID must be something different.

Also, what version of nvflash are you using?

I need one for 64bit, the one I have is for 32 only(ver 5.95). I want to try undervolting also to see if it will help temps, mines are in the 50's.

question, do u have an intel or amd cpu. If intel, u can under volt the cpu and get something from it, the gup on the other hand is a lost for under volting.

@mrx

i have a question about timings and nibitor.

Do you know what is the difference between Autoselect Timings and Test Timings - Get Value? The Autoselect Timings is the timings set my video card uses and Get Value scans the registers for the actual timings... they are different sets for me and aren't they supposed to be the same thing?

I can change the timingset the card uses but im not sure if it really uses it.

I used 5.95 with -4 -5 -6 and say yes to the board id crap. It works just fine for me, also I did do the flash in windows so the risk i had faced was greater than if u flash in dos. here is the bios i used and yes i did oc this bios to my liking. http://www.mediafire...x83y6t469tfyjzv

Thanks! After returning your image to the default clocks, I flashed it. 260.63 installed fine! Thanks! I am getting the display-corruption-on-Powermizer problem. NiBiTor can't seem to detect which timingset my card uses; it always tells me that its driver could not initialize. I am wondering if there would be any harm in replacing all the timingsets with the ones from my old BIOS?

EDIT: I have noticed one other issue. Vsync for OpenGL applications is partially broken. There isn't any tearing. but the applications run at >60FPS, which causes micro-stuttering.

EDIT2: I tried changing all the timingsets in the new BIOS to be the same as the old one, but that does not eliminate the display corruption.