LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Problem with SolidWorks on G4 4200 Go

Guest nathan_oakland

Guest nathan_oakland

I'm having a problem running SolidWorks on a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a Geforce4 4200 Go. When I run Pro/E on this machine I can only keep 4 windows open simultaneously but if I shut some windows I can open new ones. Everything works fine as long as I don't try to have 5 windows open at once. This is a well documented video problem that it seems only a Quadro card will fix for you.

However, the SolidWorks problem is really worse, because it doesn't matter if you close the other windows or not, the eighth window you open during a session is in slow motion and then you have to start a new session. This of course means that I have to start a new session every hour or so - very annoying. Checking "use software openGL" on the Options/Performance tab solves the problem but with obvious disadvantages. It is as if there is something preventing SolidWorks from giving back the memory allocated to a window after that window is closed. Any ideas?

I have tried to use Riva Tuner to force the Unified Back Buffer to be used (by setting the registry key) but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks!

Nathan