LaptopVideo2Go Forums

MxM convertor for mini pci-e, any exisit?

somep3ople

Here's the thing i have a sony vaio UX, it has a mini pci-e slot, i'm trying to upgrade the video some how, since there are no mini pci-e video cards available right now i was thinking of using a mxm mini pci-e video card.

example

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390247143196&rvr_id=149024706380&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXF%3F&GUID=f6d5f3531290a0aad5212bf1fef5b1b5&itemid=390247143196&ff4=263602_263622

however if you compare it to a min pci-e interface

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816321017&cm_re=mini_pciexpress-_-16-321-017-_-Product

there's a huge difference, now the reason i'm considering the mxm is because it seems to be the my current best alternative, the video cards itself are small and fitting it into a ux will be my own business, the simple question is there a interface converter, if the card functions with mini pci-e requirements the only thing i need is to get it to convert. If anybody know's of better solutions, that would be ok to.

I'm not looking for external display, this is purely for graphics power, the gma950 on this motherboard is showing it's age. Willing to solder whatever.

Guest anonymous

I think the product that is listed on the ebay link you provided is actually a Mini PCI card and not Mini PCIe as is stated. The Newegg one however looks like a proper Mini PCIe card to me. Have a look at the photo on wikipedia Wikipedia about the third of the way down the page.

The difference...? Well Mini-PCI is based on the PCI architecture and hence parallel by nature whereas the Mini-PCIe interface is based on PCI-Express and likewise serial. They are not cross compatible.

Hope this helps.

I think the product that is listed on the ebay link you provided is actually a Mini PCI card and not Mini PCIe as is stated. The Newegg one however looks like a proper Mini PCIe card to me. Have a look at the photo on wikipedia Wikipedia about the third of the way down the page.

The difference...? Well Mini-PCI is based on the PCI architecture and hence parallel by nature whereas the Mini-PCIe interface is based on PCI-Express and likewise serial. They are not cross compatible.

Hope this helps.

My point is that the size of the card is what matters to me, if there was any possible way to convert the connectors to have it work, even if the it's a pci card, this would be really helpful.

Guest Anonymous

Firstly I'd like to apologise as I think I may have misunderstood your original issue here; to be honest there are too many differing standards that use similar naming conventions. Anyway, on to your problem.

I think that whilst it may be possible to connect an MXM card to the Mini-PCIe connector, you will need to figure out a method to switch or bypass the existing graphics solution. Because the GMA is integrated in the Northbridge chip, it may be significantly more difficult than just soldering the card to the correct pin-outs. Even if it is possible, the likelyhood is that the MXM card will be connected via a single PCIe lane, i.e. throttled down from the x8 lanes that most MXM cards are capable of.

Just an errata on my part; on further examination the links that you posted are both indeed Mini-PCIe parts and not the older Mini-PCI as I first thought. I apologise if that added to the confusion.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Firstly I'd like to apologise as I think I may have misunderstood your original issue here; to be honest there are too many differing standards that use similar naming conventions. Anyway, on to your problem.

I think that whilst it may be possible to connect an MXM card to the Mini-PCIe connector, you will need to figure out a method to switch or bypass the existing graphics solution. Because the GMA is integrated in the Northbridge chip, it may be significantly more difficult than just soldering the card to the correct pin-outs. Even if it is possible, the likelyhood is that the MXM card will be connected via a single PCIe lane, i.e. throttled down from the x8 lanes that most MXM cards are capable of.

Just an errata on my part; on further examination the links that you posted are both indeed Mini-PCIe parts and not the older Mini-PCI as I first thought. I apologise if that added to the confusion.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

I'm interested in the connector, and i was wondering does one exist and where i may get one. For the chipset i'll figure it from there, a bios mod would definitely work to disable integrated. As for the pci-e 1 lane any vid card would provide much better results even if running 1x compared to the integrated. So if anybody know of these converters.