LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nVidia GeForce 8600M GT 512MB problem

Guest terrordar

Guest terrordar

Hi

I have an Acer 5920g with a nVidia GeForce 8600M GT 256MB. Recently the GPU died (black screen at startup). So I bought another nVidia GeForce 8600M GT 512MB from eBay.

After installing the video card I am experiencing some strange problems. At random, every 10-60 seconds some graphic corruption appears on the screen for a fraction of second. Otherwise the video card works fine, it is recognized by Windows and does not crash my system.

The new video card was installed correctly and stays at about 80 C° when idle. I have the latest graphic driver, DirectX, Windows updates. I do not have any virus or malware.

If I unistall the drivers and use the generic Windows drivers I do not experience the corruption. But with the official nVidia drives I get the problem. I tried a clean reinstall with several version of the drivers but I get always the same problem.

Does anybody know any reason why I could get this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Something is wrong here...I idle b/t 47C-52C, your temps are very high, try using different drivers. Also clean out the laptop for dust. Maybe try using artic silver for the inside.

Guest conscrip

make sure u installed it properly? im not too familiar with laptop video cards, but make sure the cooler is on right and u have a layer of fresh thermal paste between the chip and the cooler.

Guest terrordar

Hi again

I re-applied the thermal paste and now the temperature is 65C when idle and 80-85C when playing. The artifacts problem seems however indipendent from the temperature.

I experimented a bit with the drivers. Using the official Asus Nvidia drivers, the corruption problem disappears. Using the latest Nvidia drivers instead, the corruption still exist.

Is it normal that the latest drivers are not supported? Could I find some unofficial drivers somewhere?

The Asus drivers are quite old. If I use them instead of the latest ones, how much of performance loss should I expect?

• 1 month later...

Hi again

I re-applied the thermal paste and now the temperature is 65C when idle and 80-85C when playing. The artifacts problem seems however indipendent from the temperature.

I experimented a bit with the drivers. Using the official Asus Nvidia drivers, the corruption problem disappears. Using the latest Nvidia drivers instead, the corruption still exist.

Is it normal that the latest drivers are not supported? Could I find some unofficial drivers somewhere?

The Asus drivers are quite old. If I use them instead of the latest ones, how much of performance loss should I expect?

Hi again

I had a similar issue on xi1546, I upgraded both my own laptop and a friends, same model, I had two slightly different 8600gt cards both 512mb ddr. One card had the mounting bit on it and the other was without, the card with the heatsink mounting worked perfectly without any artefacts but the other card caused artifacts, so I reflashed the card without mounting with the bios directly from the other card and hey presto no more artifacts. I can send you the vbios if you want to try it

Hi guys!

I'm in more or less the exact same situation as Guest_Terrordar, I also own an Acer 5920G with a refitted Geforce 8600M GT 512 MB. I suffer from the same screen corruption problems (lines appear at random for a split sec when refreshing happens, eg scrolling webpages) and my temps are absolutely identical at 65C idle. Don't think it's a powermizer issue cause the card is way under-clocked when idle as checked with GPU-Z. For me, the interesting thing was that the screen flickering did not show up in games at all. I could play for two hours non-stop and not be able to reproduce any kind of screen flickering or corruption. So I'm really baffled here.

I'm tempted to try to flash the card with your Bios, facey. But is your card flashed with Acer vbios?

Hi guys!

I'm in more or less the exact same situation as Guest_Terrordar, I also own an Acer 5920G with a refitted Geforce 8600M GT 512 MB. I suffer from the same screen corruption problems (lines appear at random for a split sec when refreshing happens, eg scrolling webpages) and my temps are absolutely identical at 65C idle. Don't think it's a powermizer issue cause the card is way under-clocked when idle as checked with GPU-Z. For me, the interesting thing was that the screen flickering did not show up in games at all. I could play for two hours non-stop and not be able to reproduce any kind of screen flickering or corruption. So I'm really baffled here.

I'm tempted to try to flash the card with your Bios, facey. But is your card flashed with Acer vbios?

Yes it has an acer vbios

G84 M.bin

• 4 weeks later...

I have almost the same problem with FSC Amilo Xi1546 and GeForce 9500M GS (the replacement for ATI X1800).

The card comes from Acer. System boots up fine, but from time to time screen flashes or horizontal lines appear.

It happened on three diffrent cards so it is rather not a card failure.

In service they tried HD3650, bu no effect so far. An 8600 GT is hard to get in good condition. I would like to try 9500 GS (almost the same as 8600 GT) with alienware bios. Does somebody has it? On Alienware website you must log in to get any bios.